• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'd be amazed if we sold him. Surely nobody is stupid enough to buy him. The guy forgets what colour shirt we're wearing most weeks, can't pass and is utterly brainless (in a footballing sense). For all the optimism of this pre season, if we have him starting games for us, we'll finish much nearer the bottom than the top of the League. Absolutely shite...

He'll play at a higher level absolutely no question...

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'd be amazed if we sold him. Surely nobody is stupid enough to buy him. The guy forgets what colour shirt we're wearing most weeks, can't pass and is utterly brainless (in a footballing sense). For all the optimism of this pre season, if we have him starting games for us, we'll finish much nearer the bottom than the top of the League. Absolutely shite...

Granted he's no cultured Sheridan but Fane does have some attributes. One being he'll run through a brick wall for you, hence why he gets clattered a few times but jumps up and charges at the next wall. Breaks up his fair share of play also. He started off at low point but had to be one of our most improved players over the season, still a long way off being the best but that doesn't mean he didn't improve.

42 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

edit: Double post

Edited by Lags

8 hours ago, ghostofcecere said:

My favourite was that whopper who said Steve Evans had signed a contract in Ryder & Dutton in Royton and had met the squad??

He was incredibly close to becoming manager, from his own version of events that too.

Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean there aren't elements of truth.

3 minutes ago, Lags said:

Granted he's no cultured Sheridan but Fane does have some attributes. One being he'll run

He also tackles more than anybody else on the pitch. Granted now and again he clips a few ankles, knees and a head or 2 but its becoming a lost art. 

Final word on this from me

Maybe I made a mistake in calling Baxter a striker. He's an attacking player and I've always labelled attacking players as strikers. Lets be honest if I'd come on last week and said oh there's a chance we could bring Jose back i would've been lynched. Instead I opted to do it a different way I said it was a name that would get fans giddy as Baxter would, a player that could help us reach the top six again as Baxter would. 

I did post that i expected it would be in the chron in the days following my post and a few days later the chron' s headline was 'Jose latics link'. This sparked the excitement on social media as I knew it would and said it would. I don't use this message board everyday and haven't been on since I posted it. I did think that after the chron article people would think that this was the exciting forward I was talking about, but I take responsibility for that as I've always labelled Baxter as a striker so I can see where the confusion has come from. Anyway I'm taking people's advice and shutting up, Here's to a great season.

oh and by the way you should see the keeper we are in for! ( I jest, I jest ?)

2 minutes ago, 2uptop said:

Maybe I made a mistake in calling Baxter a striker. He's an attacking player and I've always labelled attacking players as strikers. Lets be honest if I'd come on last week and said oh there's a chance we could bring Jose back i would've been lynched. Instead I opted to do it a different way I said it was a name that would get fans giddy as Baxter would, a player that could help us reach the top six again as Baxter would. 

I did post that i expected it would be in the chron in the days following my post and a few days later the chron' s headline was 'Jose latics link'. This sparked the excitement on social media as I knew it would and said it would. I don't use this message board everyday and haven't been on since I posted it. I did think that after the chron article people would think that this was the exciting forward I was talking about, but I take responsibility for that as I've always labelled Baxter as a striker so I can see where the confusion has come from. Anyway I'm taking people's advice and shutting up, Here's to a great season.

Only Corney would know

Edit: well apart from the Baxter clan

Edited by Lags

Fane may not be the most gifted footballer on the planet, but he does give you something. He doesn't wimp out of tackles, gets some of them horribly wrong, but breaks up a lot of play.

I know last night was only Salisbury, but Fane had a good 45 minutes. There's improvement in his ball control and some of his passing was very good. Had a couple of shots too when he got forward. And, yes, a couple of badly timed tackles that infuriated the locals.

He'd be in my team, though.

11 minutes ago, 2uptop said:

As excited as I would be if we signed Baxter I wouldn't be at all surprised.

He's clearly never going to play for Everton and they'll be moving him on sooner rather than later.

He fell from grace at a top end League One club so you'd expect to see him re-enter the game at a lesser light in League One.

As much as it saddens me to say it, we are currently such a lesser light.

He stayed on the straight and narrow while he was here (or at least didn't get caught :lol:).

His family and "advisers" would surely welcome him coming back. 

Corney must be up for it given the buzz it would create and you can imagine money might not be an over riding factor.

He's the kind of player Shez would love.

He's very fucking good and would be our best player.

It seems a no brainer to me for all concerned. 

Edited by HarryBosch

18 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

You do in the Champions League. You don't in League One. 

Haha.

What do you think would happen if we had Banks and Gardner as our two central midfielders? Without Fane or someone like that breaking up play we wouldn't hardly have the ball.

Edited by welshgaz

3 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Haha.

What do you think would happen if we had Banks and Gardner as our two central midfielders? Without Fane or someone like that breaking up play we wouldn't hardly have the ball.

We'd have it plenty if only from shit league one players giving it away. 

And once we had it we'd be able to do a lot more with it. 

And further up the pitch further negating the need for a holding midfielder. 

Fane, Green, Kelly, Smith, Wesolowski, Furman haven't exactly driven us on to success have they. (Don't get me wrong, I like Fane and I can see him exhibiting a bit more forward thinking than his predecessors this season if he doesn't move on)

Midfielders who can tackle, play a bit & score a bit are what's required.

We don't need a League One Kante. 

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Granted he's no cultured Sheridan but Fane does have some attributes. One being he'll run through a brick wall for you, hence why he gets clattered a few times but jumps up and charges at the next wall. Breaks up his fair share of play also. He started off at low point but had to be one of our most improved players over the season, still a long way off being the best but that doesn't mean he didn't improve.

Absolutely. ...and the fact we have good competition means we are stronger...I for one will not be disappointed if Fane starts though...

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

We'd have it plenty if only from shit league one players giving it away. 

And once we had it we'd be able to do a lot more with it. 

And further up the pitch further negating the need for a holding midfielder. 

Fane, Green, Kelly, Smith, Wesolowski, Furman haven't exactly driven us on to success have they. (Don't get me wrong, I like Fane and I can see him exhibiting a bit more forward thinking than his predecessors this season if he doesn't move on)

Midfielders who can tackle, play a bit & score a bit are what's required.

We don't need a League One Kante. 

Fair points. However we don't have midfielders who can do all that so we need ball winners too.

3 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Your argument falls down when you say we don't need a league 1 version of the guy the premier league champions need with all their amazing midfielders

No it doesn't.

Chelsea are playing against other amazing players week in, week out. Players who need stopping and can maybe only be stopped by someone of Kante's calibre.

We aren't. 

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

No it doesn't.

Chelsea are playing against other amazing players week in, week out. Players who need stopping and can maybe only be stopped by someone of Kante's calibre.

We aren't. 

Its the same at our level. Other teams have players better than ours...

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

No it doesn't.

We aren't. 

Yes....but everything is relative.

I keep harping on about it but the pitch didn't help Fane or any body else out last season. His touch isn't perfect (far from it) but he may get a little help from a decent playing surface this season.

I'm interested to see what Fane is like when coached by Sheridan Wright and Wellens for a full pre season.

For what it's worth he said himself on Instagram something along the lines of "8 goals this season, mark my words"