• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No he was worse than Reckord and Connor Brown put together when he turned out for us but I think nerves just got the better of him, I've since seen him play for City's development team a couple of times albeit it at centre half and he looked a different player, not sure why we'd need another rightback or centre half for that matter though.

Perhaps my memory has just faded a little. However, I think it was a game pre-Christmas against Colchester at home where he had a shocker in the first few minutes.

Bad times.

4 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Now plying his trade in Serie D.

Been here, there any everywhere since.... but not managed to settle anywhere. Currently in MLS.

I'd love to know the % success rate of Premier League Academies..... vs Tony Philliskirk's or any other lower league club.

Would for instance an Ellis Plummer have managed to cut himself a career out by now having been toughened up being around League One / Two footballers week in week out, instead of playing non contact tika taka with a load more underworked & overpaid children?

Would Tarky be about to be released by City for not being good enough, instead of having played nearly 200 league games.

The Premier League has a lot to answer for.

It's an interesting point of view this for all the good facilities and good coaching they get at these academies, many of them don't get exposed to 1st team football. 

England have won the world cup at under 20 level and the European championships at Under 19 level this summer so clearly we are doing something right with the academy system.

However those players need to go out and play real football where the pressure is on you are playing infront of a crowd and for a manager who is only a few games away from the sack. Making that transition to become good footballers is the tough bit and it's something that we need to do better at in England.

Edited by GlossopLatic

5 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's an interesting point of view this for all the good facilities and good coaching they get at these academies, many of them don't get exposed to 1st team football. 

England have won the world cup at under 20 level and the European championships at Under 19 level this summer so clearly we are doing something right with the academy system.

However those players need to go out and play real football where the pressure is on you are playing infront of a crowd and for a manager who is only a few games away from the sack. Making that transition to become good footballers is the tough bit and it's something that we need to do better at in England.

Either we are doing something right at youth level and that's why we've won, or other countries young players are already breaking into 1st team for club and country rather than rotting in a premier league academy.

5 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

AND the Toulon u23 tournament.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I got told on Thursday that there is a strong possibility that he's coming back to us. Apparently they want to loan him out again and he's said if he's going anywhere, it'll be back here.

Possibly explains why Sheridan is stalling on Peacock-Farrell...

Fingers crossed it happens, if it does the way the fans took to him has player will have paid a massive part in that. Top job everyone.

2 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

I'm a bit sceptical on how little game time this Duffus guy has had at 21 years old. 

Barring 3 appearances for Bury a few years ago he's only ever played reserve football

Must have something about him if Brighton top of championship in Jan made a bid for him! 

34 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

I'm a bit sceptical on how little game time this Duffus guy has had at 21 years old. 

Barring 3 appearances for Bury a few years ago he's only ever played reserve football

He's had a bad injury I believe and was out for a year..... but scored 6 in 7 starts with 11 sub apps for Everton's U21s last season.

I do however wonder where he would be now, had he stayed at Cheltenham instead of going to Everton's academy aged 17. Possibly a better player but with less designer clobber and tattoo's.

Sounds like we'll find out if he's up to it soon enough though. Lets hope he is.

Edited by lookersstandandy

2 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

Pleasing to have a proper signing, and an investment into a potential prospect. 

But agree, I'm not going to get too excited. Yet!  Never heard of him.

Just very hopeful we've signed a gem.