1 hour ago, Simpo said:

I'm interested to see what Fane is like when coached by Sheridan Wright and Wellens for a full pre season.

For what it's worth he said himself on Instagram something along the lines of "8 goals this season, mark my words"

Just because Sheridan and Wellens could kick a ball straight doesn't mean they can instill that into Fane.

For all the running and work he'll never have any footballing ability.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Just because Sheridan and Wellens could kick a ball straight doesn't mean they can instill that into Fane.

Think the fact he's playing at league 1 level shows he has some footballing ability.

All that running and work is massive for us. We need a grafter in there

8 hours ago, Simpo said:

I'm interested to see what Fane is like when coached by Sheridan Wright and Wellens for a full pre season.

For what it's worth he said himself on Instagram something along the lines of "8 goals this season, mark my words"

That's the promise Jamie Carragher used to make, it's a shame six of the eight used to go in his own goal :icon_peace:

On a serious note though I liked Fane from the off,  he did seem to have many of his positive attributes coached out of him by Robbo but there's no reason whatsoever that the coaching team we have in place now can't get more out of the lad.

10 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Define football ability in your eyes for me please as football ability doesn't mean wonderful ball player or great passer....

Pro footballer playing for Kidderminster is scouted by Championship and league 1 clubs before signing for league 1 club where after 1 season he plays regularly and gets praised by his current manager John Sheridan who played midfield in a world up. comparing him to former Premier League midfielder at several clubs and England.

Now it seems he is once again being scouted by Championship clubs. What do they see?

Edited by palmer1

41 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

Define football ability in your eyes for me please as football ability doesn't mean wonderful ball player or great passer....

Pro footballer playing for Kidderminster is scouted by Championship and league 1 clubs before signing for league 1 club where after 1 season he plays regularly and gets praised by his current manager John Sheridan who played midfield in a world up. comparing him to former Premier League midfielder at several clubs and England.

Now it seems he is once again being scouted by Championship clubs. What do they see?

Simpo pointed out something about Fane scoring 8 goals next season. Assuming he won't be goalpoaching, that suggests he'll be taking digs from around the box.

He does not and never will have the footballing ability to do that. As in, the technique or skill to score 8 goals past League 1 standard goalkeepers in a 46 game season.

He can be taught how better to think as a midfielder, Wellens and Shez may do that, but their footballing ability was so much greater that I wonder what the relevance will be. Fane put in some cracking performances last season but I couldn't quite work out whether they were a bit flukey, in that his headless chicken routine came up trumps - the number of times he made basic errors like being wrong side of his man was frightening at this level. If he did it all season though you'd have to accept that he's improved.

16 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

the number of times he made basic errors like being wrong side of his man was frightening at this level. If he did it all season though you'd have to accept that he's improved.

He will iron that flaw out of his game with good coaching and maturity, he is raw but for me has enough attributes in his game to be a success for us and ultimately that's all that I want from him, his desire and willingness to get involved sometimes undid him last season but I'd much rather that than someone who coasts and doesn't step up, give him six months and I'm sure he will be a different beast.

29 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Simpo pointed out something about Fane scoring 8 goals next season. Assuming he won't be goalpoaching, that suggests he'll be taking digs from around the box.

He does not and never will have the footballing ability to do that. As in, the technique or skill to score 8 goals past League 1 standard goalkeepers in a 46 game season.

He can be taught how better to think as a midfielder, Wellens and Shez may do that, but their footballing ability was so much greater that I wonder what the relevance will be. Fane put in some cracking performances last season but I couldn't quite work out whether they were a bit flukey, in that his headless chicken routine came up trumps - the number of times he made basic errors like being wrong side of his man was frightening at this level. If he did it all season though you'd have to accept that he's improved.

Nobody said his game was perfect but being caught on the wrong side of his man didn't stop many praising Dieng and he did it fkn constantly as did Lee at fullback.

Massive improvement is needed no question but no football ability and 8 goals from distance are 2 very different things.

One good performance may be a fluke several at this level is not a fluke. It's football ability, very raw but ability none the less. Robinson pointed out that he is at least 3 years behind were he should be at this point in his learning. lots of time to pick it up though.

Edited by palmer1

29 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Were you the poster last season who scoffed at me for saying Ngoo was absolute toss?

35 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Were you the poster last season who scoffed at me for saying Ngoo was absolute toss?

Fairly sure you'd said that after one game (in which he had played very well). That said we've all used the 'Craig Davies goalless run came because he wasn't starting' line to defend his barren record recently. I don't think Ngoo will ever be a goal machine but we saw little of him. We've had a year of Fane.

What I'm certain is that Fane's footballing ability will never reach a level commensurate with his ability to run about a lot! A first touch forward pass that doesn't bobble onto the knee of a teammate would be a nice start, never mind 8 goals...

14 hours ago, Simpo said:

I've heard Wellens has been very vocal about Fane's ability, and not in a good way.

Is being coached by someone who doesn't rate you a good thing or not?

Fane is in the team to break up play. Get the ball and pass it to the nearest player in a blue shirt. Or harass the opposition player until he makes a mistake. Plenty of top players have made a very good living out of doing just that.

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

He does not and never will have the footballing ability to do that.

Maybe Shez is trying to get him to stretch his legs a bit more.

That was the most frustrating thing about him for me last season - he'd set off running (with or without the ball) and then promptly stop. Sometimes literally turning round and passing backwards. Hopefully that was just Robbo's doing and Shez will let him play properly. 

If he can start running at & through defences with the ball at his feet and/or running on to lay offs and knock downs from Holloway & Davies he could well get his 8 goals. And for the opposition to stop him given his awkward style they'll often be giving us free kicks and pens......

Fane is a Latics player and it takes all sorts to make a good team. He shames some of his more illustrious previous team mates (Wimpchester, Taylor) with his works rate for the team, tackling, harrying and stamina for covering the pitch for the "whole" game. He's not naturally gifted with silky skills but a team needs both if it is to survive at any league level. Only Green really matches him for breaking up play but he runs out of steam in the later stages. Like to see him shoot more (better than Bower Fold please). :)Keep up the good work Ousie

18 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The problem appears to be Fane goes to pieces when approaching the opposition penalty area, hopefully coaching him to be more calm in these situations might help.

We should rename him Jigsaw then - goes to pieces in the box, or was that Stuart Barlow?