Latics vs Man Utd X1

Should have scored 3 by half time. 

McLaughlin, Fane, Holloway and Davies put a good shift in. 

Fane put in some strong challenges and was hard to get past. McLaughlin was really impressive, consistently beat his full back and provided inviting crosses. 

Holloway and Davies held the ball well but there could be an argument that they are too alike to play with each other. 

Second half  the game quitened with the mass changes. Both trialists (14&12) showed neat touches and good pace. 

If if we can turn the chances into goals then we will do well this season, easier said then done though as we know full well with Latics!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Stanley30
1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Friendly or not you should be putting a team of kids to the sword if you have any aspirations of doing anything.

Who the frig has any aspirations with this team? Mid table at best, it's basically the same guff team minus and goalies on a Tuesday before the season starts. Get real

Guest Stanley30

Any* seriously, how u guys get so disalusioned and far from the truth Every off season is amazing. We are a lower than average L1 team, we need investment. Until then we will only stay in this wretched division. Happy pre Christmas by the way.

Love king James

2 hours ago, Fruitygoo said:

I remember doing a knee slide on the old style sandy breeze hill astro turf... On a wet day as well. Safe to say it stung like hell when i got in the bath.. 

Apology for the downboat in error! Just noticed I gave an upboat!

In the 1960s, when I used to play on the Breeze Hill pitch, laid out over a rubbish tip, pieces of glass used to work their way to the surface.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I have long given up on making any predictions based on pre-season games.

Recall having a wonderful pre-season a number of years back and then lost the first 5 games without scoring a goal.

Its about getting fit mostly.

As for expectations it's not easy and there are a number of thought processes you can allow yourself to follow:

Upbeat version....

(1) Sheridan achieved play-off form with the team last season so given a full pre-season and time to add a few players we will do well

(2) People are under estimating us - we will be the dark horse this year

(3) Other teams have shown that success in this division does not necessarily require big money squads

Pessamiatic version

(1) All the season previews think we will struggle and so do the bookies - without the blue tinted glasses perhaps we are in trouble

(2) Whilst we got results last year under JS we know deep down that there were few "performances" and eventually the 'luck' runs out

(3) The loss of a good goalkeeper is a big factor - our success was based on being hard to beat

(4) We can always talk ourselves into being positive on the eve of a season - and we are mostly proved wrong

Personally - I think it will be steady progress.  I honk we will be bottom half but only just.

Difficult to read too much in to pre-season games - I think we managed to get 22 different players on the field last night. But my initial impression, on the basis of the 2 games I've seen, is that we are looking similar to the second half of last season i.e. fairly solid at the back but a lack of creativity and goals looks like being a problem. However, I think if that does prove to be the case over the first few games, Shez is probably holding a bit of his budget back and will try to address it before the transfer window closes.

Trust Shez 100% but I still think we're missing a playmaker in the middle.

Banks and Flynn aren't consistent.  Fane is more defensive.  Gardner is out for first three games but can he carry 90mins twice a week?

Would love Palmer back but that ain't going to happen.  Baxter I'm certain we could get on loan but Shez ain't interested.

Perhaps if McLaughlin is sold then that gives us scope to bring two midfielders in.  However if it's true that Wigan are sticking on £70k then we'd be better keeping him as he's worth double or treble that.  £70k and Grigg perhaps?!

18 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Banks and Flynn aren't consistent.  Fane is more defensive.  Gardner is out for first three games but can he carry 90mins twice a week?

Would love Palmer back but that ain't going to happen.  Baxter I'm certain we could get on loan but Shez ain't interested.

Perhaps if McLaughlin is sold then that gives us scope to bring two midfielders in.  However if it's true that Wigan are sticking on £70k then we'd be better keeping him as he's worth double or treble that.  £70k and Grigg perhaps?!

The Grigg that bagged 5 in a 14-0 win over Chorley last night? ?

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

Pretty sure Shez has said he is still after a fter midfielder along the lines you describe, so hopefully that will be sorted quite quite quickly.

1 hour ago, singe said:

Pretty sure Shez has said he is still after a fter midfielder along the lines you describe, so hopefully that will be sorted quite quite quickly.

Hope so as the strikers have improved on last season but we need the supply.  

Not worrying just just yet but last season aside, we're days away from kick off with key positions unfilled.  

Ultimate optimism but the absence of signing a keeper hopefully means Ripley isn't dead and buried.

Well that was OK but we do seem to have a front two who are both more comfortable with their backs to the goal and prefer to pass rather than shoot.

First half goalkeeper had the confidence of the team.  Second half goalkeeper didn't have anyones confidence.

14 nee 17 I don't want to see again.

12 nee 18 was better but I think he would be more of the same.

Banks forgot himself and nearly made a tackle.

Jay needs to fill out.  Cracking header.

The Fs seem to have it.  Fane has improved and should start every game.  Fawns looks rather good - awareness, quick passing and a great shot.