1. 1. This Saturday will see the following in goal for Latics

• Conor Ripley
    • A short-term loan
    • A new season long loan
    • A new permanent signing
    • Youth player
    • Other (please specify)

18 minutes ago, Magister said:

Well that is 17 more football league appearances than 24 year old Ripley had this day last year

But Ripley established himself at a loan club (as did Rachubka seasons earlier).

If you go on loan to a lower league club you'd expect to play regularly.  He's been out a few times, had a few games and.l not commanded a regular place.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

But Ripley established himself at a loan club (as did Rachubka seasons earlier).

If you go on loan to a lower league club you'd expect to play regularly.  He's been out a few times, had a few games and.l not commanded a regular place.

Ok ...but are you aware of Ripleys loans to Oxford and Bradford . The sum total of his first team appearances at those 2 clubs was 1 game.......where does that leave your argument re not commanding a regular place at a few lower league clubs

I've gone for Ripley??

Any reserve keeper on the payroll should be more than capable of deputising for a No.1 at any stage of the season so I really can't understand why we haven't got one in place already. If our 1st choice keeper was to have been injured in a friendly then we'd have found ourselves in exactly the same situation.

It seems bloody ludicrous to be in this predicament on the eve of a new season. Shez sounded totally unconcerned about the whole matter in his latest interview so

I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Ripley jog out onto the field on Saturday against Oxford.

For maximum impact if that were to happen his signing has to be announced today at the latest!!

I wonder..........

People were saying at the start of the summer that any goalkeeper would be judged by Ripley's standards - maybe Shez has lowered expectations to ease the burden on the new fella. Or not. 

It would be hilarious if one of the gk's made a howler tomorrow...

Shez says in his interview that his No.1 will be in by Saturday. Lots of goalkeepers available, and plenty of clubs have tried to help us out by offering goalkeepers to us, but they don't want to play. They would rather sit around and pick up their money than come here.

14 hours ago, Magister said:

Ok ...but are you aware of Ripleys loans to Oxford and Bradford . The sum total of his first team appearances at those 2 clubs was 1 game.......where does that leave your argument re not commanding a regular place at a few lower league clubs

Its a fair challenge, but I think I'd still defend the  concern over BW.

With 1 appearance at 2 clubs, CR never got a chance.  Therefore wasn't assessed and deemed not good enough IMO.

BW had 8 appearances at 2 clubs.  Enough to have had a look and then decide no?  Perhaps.

Dont know the detail of how and when they were made - but add in the views of Wimbledon fans as well and I am not excited by the prospect.

If its Ripley and they are delaying the announcement until tomorrow and will unveil him on the pitch in a cheesy big announcement I won't mind. Hell they could even have Celine Dion's my heart will go on in the background as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't give a shit aslong as he signed.

I will however be quite happy with the Polish lad from Sunderland coming in as he sounds a prospect he doesn't have to keep 18 clean sheets just be a steady pair of hands at the back.

If we've got knowone then this has to go to the top of the list of OAFC monumental shag ups however I can't imagine Sheridan letting that happen if he wants to buy his kids Christmas presents so badly this year.

Edited by GlossopLatic

15 hours ago, Latics_Fanatic said:

Unless it's a keeper on emergency loan, I think.

However, I imagine a deal is already sorted and we're waiting until tomorrow to annouce.

There. Are. No. Emergency. Loans.

Edited by deyres42

With the deadline having passed I am sure we have someone or even two sorted. If they are dragging it out for a big unveiling it is making me lean to it being Ripley (or another name, Given?). If a team was going to pay a decent fee they'd want Ripley on board now I would imagine?