Shez - "I need five or six players"

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

Comments in bold are laughable. Gerrard is he most lean he has been in years. Look at gregan what weight you are means nothing in league 1. Fane will play higher than league 1 no doubt about it.  

Once we have someone in front of him who can play football in CM he will be some enforcer. He's a defensive midfielder and when given that role and nothing more is superb. Doesn't have to be 'nice to watch' but he clearly has more than your saying, which is clearly why scouts last season and this season are coming to watch. 

There is absolutely no chance that Fane will play higher than L1 level...

2 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Agreed. Decent at winning the ball back, but literally can't pass.

There is a club that have shown an interest in him and their manager has said they're looking for a "Centre mid dog who can run" (that is a direct quote too.)

And that team are in L2 and are more likely to finish nearer the bottom than the top...

19 hours ago, Markspark92 said:

He looks rattled in that interview after 3 games is worrying but it's needed, he's obviously finding it hard to bring in the right players, Banks Fane Flynn are all Robinsons signings that we need to replace we basically need new midfield players is what he's saying, he said the exact same about 5-6 players when on the losing run at Notts County, Gardener to come in after today, not impressed with Dummigan at all and he has every right to be, hasent looked interested at all so far needs a kick up the arse that lad, hopefully Corney can find the funds to bring in 2 new CMs, a defensive tough player (John Welsh) and a creative player is what's needed plus another keeper, Shez just being Shez which is honest !

You are right. I think he is very frustrated that he can't get the players in he wants. Either it's because of the budget, or the players just don't want to play for us. also he can't get rid of players he doesn't want because no-one wants them, and the only other way is to pay them off, which he can't afford to do.

1 hour ago, boundaryblue80 said:

There will never be direct proof that Corney signs players. In the past, I’ve seen texts off a sponsor sent by Corney that confirm in my mind he is overly involved in signing players. I also don’t think it was a coincidence that a 5th of the squad we signed under Penney were Jewish (I have no problem that they were...it just leads me to believe they were more TTA’s/Corneys signings than Penney’s.)

As I’ve said in the past...there’s rarely direct evidence from the regime but there are often enough dots to connect to make informed assumptions. 

It's strange that in spite of all this going on, Sheridan keeps coming back..

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

We've tried the same conversion with Banks and it's not worked so I hope we don't try the same with Gardner. He needs to go behind the strikers for me, and compete with Flynn for a place.

I have a feeling Shez sees him as our Pirlo, a lower division version that is.

20 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Davies and Gardner the only signings that are his, no wonder he's unhappy.

I'm sure 2 or 3 weeks ago despite him wanting a defensive midfielder who could talk and organise he was 'happy' to go into the season with this very squad of players and that one of his strikers would get 15 or 20 goals this campaign!

He's gone through a full close season, a pre-season, several friendlies, two league games and one cup game and has now suddenly decided he needs 5 or 6 players.

He notoriously struggles with his post match interviews and week on week a la Notts County he seems to dig himself deeper and deeper. He lost nine on the bounce there before his public referee outburst and was also struggling previously here until events at the doggate incident sealed his fate.

He's done brilliantly under similar circumstances to keep us up twice but some of these players are in a comfort zone and I'm far from convinced that he's got the necessary motivational, tactical, and man management skills to improve them and move this club forward.

Its very early days yet but for me Wigan is already a must not lose game. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

It's strange that in spite of all this going on, Sheridan keeps coming back..

Usually comes down to 3 things: Money, Stock and location

His first return was money & definitely location

His second return his stock was rock bottom. I imagine “assurances” between the two people were made. Perhaps these assurances aren’t coming to fruition. Sounds like it from Shezs viewpoint. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

3 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

There will never be direct proof that Corney signs players. In the past, I’ve seen texts off a sponsor sent by Corney that confirm in my mind he is overly involved in signing players. I also don’t think it was a coincidence that a 5th of the squad we signed under Penney were Jewish (I have no problem that they were...it just leads me to believe they were more TTA’s/Corneys signings than Penney’s.)

As I’ve said in the past...there’s rarely direct evidence from the regime but there are often enough dots to connect to make informed assumptions. 

I asked for proof Sheridan didn't want Holloway. No doubt Corney has signed players before. 

3 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Usually comes down to 3 things: Money, Stock and location

His first return was money & definitely location

His second return his stock was rock bottom. I imagine “assurances” between the two people were made. Perhaps these assurances aren’t coming to fruition. Sounds like it from Shezs viewpoint. 

This sort of thing was being said about why he went to Notts County.  Shez knows more than any other manager in the world how Latics and Corney operate.  

20 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

If you don't know who our players are, I'm not going to teach you

We had three central midfielders in a side that plays three in central midfield, Gardner is a fourth now he’s available. Of them, only Green is a defensive player like Fane and he was injured on Saturday.

Who could he replace him with?

So let me get this straight.....the reason for our sh*t midfield, in many people's eyes, is the one person who is prepared to graft and tackle. McLaughlin escapes criticism because of his ability to pass people and cross the ball (from the wrong flank at the moment). We have another 3 central midfielders who don't work, tackle or pass remotely consistently yet Fane is the one getting grief.

Fane is not the problem here!!!