Shez - "I need five or six players"

Here's the problem. The players aren't cute footballers. They don't have it in their individual lockers about movement off the ball or the willingness to hunt down when out of possession. No one knows how to create their own space or show for a pass. They all walk off the pitch believing they've left nothing on it. They maybe correct. They just don't know how to be clever with it 

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fane is the best of a bad bunch... He does his bit generally by breaking up play. Its the other players responsibility to keep hold of the ball and create. If we cpuld do that better he wouldn't have to run around quite so much... 

We chase the ball far too much.. Thats our issue. 

28 minutes ago, Lags said:

Here's the problem. The players aren't cute footballers. They don't have it in their individual lockers about movement off the ball or the willingness to hunt down when out of possession. No one knows how to create their own space or show for a pass. They all walk off the pitch believing they've left nothing on it. They maybe correct. They just don't know how to be clever with it 

100% spot on. Wednesday night we had 11 football players but 0 footballers.

10 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

Fane is the best of a bad bunch... He does his bit generally by breaking up play. Its the other players responsibility to keep hold of the ball and create. If we cpuld do that better he wouldn't have to run around quite so much... 

We chase the ball far too much.. Thats our issue. 

If your first 4 words are accurate everything is explained......Fane is a superb athlete but unfortunately he can't pass, he can't head , he can't tackle and he can't be trusted to be in the right place at the right time....him being touch tight to their number 10 at the throw in  , then tracking him for 30 yards before stopping to watch the ball while his man tapped in from 2 yards was , for a professional footballer , extremely poor..

13 minutes ago, Magister said:

If your first 4 words are accurate everything is explained......Fane is a superb athlete but unfortunately he can't pass, he can't head , he can't tackle and he can't be trusted to be in the right place at the right time....him being touch tight to their number 10 at the throw in  , then tracking him for 30 yards before stopping to watch the ball while his man tapped in from 2 yards was , for a professional footballer , extremely poor..

Jesus H.....Corney missed an opportunity not giving you the job of coach!!!

If Fane is that bad, in your eyes, why is he consistently in Sheridan's starting lineup..........the problem is not Fane but 2 midfield players to sit along side Fane and McLaughlin.

25 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

If Fane is that bad, in your eyes, why is he consistently in Sheridan's starting lineup..........the problem is not Fane but 2 midfield players to sit along side Fane and McLaughlin.

I'm sorry but a big problem is fane, he is a footballer who can't kick a ball ? If we wanted someone to just run around the centre of midfield with sum pace we may aswell put Tope there to do that, at least when he gets the ball he can pass. (I obviously don't want tope in centre midfield). It's simple tho, he can't play football, he's in our midfield, therefore we will struggle. But against the top sides where we don't have the ball he may be useful, but we will never be a top side with him in the team because we won't be that team keeping the ball, if that makes sense 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I'm sorry but a big problem is fane, he is a footballer who can't kick a ball ? If we wanted someone to just run around the centre of midfield with sum pace we may aswell put Tope there to do that, at least when he gets the ball he can pass. (I obviously don't want tope in centre midfield). It's simple tho, he can't play football, he's in our midfield, therefore we will struggle. But against the top sides where we don't have the ball he may be useful, but we will never be a top side with him in the team because we won't be that team keeping the ball, if that makes sense 

Thought he was part of a team with Top 6 form towards the end of last season? 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

If you watch last season though we scraped results and got points when we didn't dominate games. There was a never a game where we were in complete control. We don't have enough players comfortable on the ball to dominate games.

6 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

You are moving the goalposts here.....Fane is in there to break up play, and from my perspective, does a fair job. Yes, Tope would run around but would he tackle and I would say...no.

The problem, as I see it, is twofold....Firstly, McLaughlin is not being played on his natural right side and Secondly, Banks who takes slowing the game down to a new level.......the guy is incapable of passing with any pace, whether it his favourite short pass to the right or a dead ball.....it's floated across.

The way I see it, 2nd half of last season Ripley and Clarke were outstanding. We had a bit of a siege mentality and fought for the clean sheets. To add to that our pitch was awful and other teams struggled on it whereas by playing on it more often we adapted well to it and won a lot of home games. I've not looked at the stats but it felt like most of the games we won tended to be by just one goal.

Come this season and of course Ripley has gone, Clarke and Gerrard are going to take a few games to get proper match fit and our pitch is good so we are having to try to match teams football wise and are exposed for having a sub standard League One midfield, plus out of form forwards. 

Shez says we need 5 or 6 players. I think he means, Gardener, "the Belgian", a keeper, midfield enforcer and maybe forward. Hopefully we will have all of those in place soon as right now it's no coincidence we've lost the first 3 games, the teams put out so far are simply not good enough and without a change of personnel I can't see where a win is going to come from. The first half was ok Saturday, no more than that and as soon as they scored a few heads went, we stood off them in midfield and it was just a case of when they got the winner not if. 

In Shez we trust...but he needs backing now, I expect to see a keeper and midfielder in this week. Hopefully we'll get a decent loan forward before the end of August and we're starting to look ok again.

Edited by DerbyshireLatic

9 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

He is consistently in Sheridans starting lineup which is consistenlly losing though

8 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

People keep talking about this top 6 form at the end of last season .....our last 5 away games yielded 1 goal and 2 points and out last 11 games ( a quarter of the season) were 3 5 3 yielding 14 points . That would give us about 59 points......it is a country mile off top 6 form

36 minutes ago, Magister said:

He is consistently in Sheridans starting lineup which is consistenlly losing though

Righty-ho....I see where you are coming from........Fane is simply not good enough to break up their play and then to pass it to Fane on the wing who is not good enough to cross the ball to Fane coming in from midfield on a late charge who is not good enough to do a spectacular scissor kick or a diving header. I must give Sheridan a heads-up next time he's in Costa to get Fane in for extra training......lazy, useless b*stard.

You do realise there are 3 other midfield players in this.......one of which is unable to pass a ball with pace and operates somewhere between slow and stop!!!

I would like to be able to analyse the Burton game because Fane can and did pass.  He also went on two runs and failed to pass when he should.  He broke up play and dominated their players.  He is just the sort of player we need but there has to be balance and there has to be hard work by others around him.

As Sheridan said after Walsall "We Threw It Away".  It was not a lack of ability it was the desire that was lacking.  They did not play for their shirt.  Sheridan had every right to believe these players could do what they did last year.  Our first three competitive games, Burton was the better performance, have shown him and us that they don't appear to be willing, Fane aside, to put in the effort for 90 minutes.

Sheridan has strengthened the midfield with Gardner and now Kyeremeh.

If the midfield group goes missing the defence will not look as strong as last year.  If the midfield group goes missing our forwards will get no decent service.  It is the midfield group that need to look at themselves and start earning their money.

38 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Righty-ho....I see where you are coming from........Fane is simply not good enough to break up their play and then to pass it to Fane on the wing who is not good enough to cross the ball to Fane coming in from midfield on a late charge who is not good enough to do a spectacular scissor kick or a diving header. I must give Sheridan a heads-up next time he's in Costa to get Fane in for extra training......lazy, useless b*stard.

You do realise there are 3 other midfield players in this.......one of which is unable to pass a ball with pace and operates somewhere between slow and stop!!!

You are absolutely right "Fane is simply not good enough" .....you are also right about the midfield in general

On 13/08/2017 at 9:23 AM, rigsby said:

I find it unbelievable that Sheridan didnt realize the team is shite and has left it til now to pipe up...

I have been saying for weeks there is no midfield and the centre backs are slow...

Im having serious doubts about the managers capabilities now if im honest...

Unless of course this has been made clear to corney who has told him there is no cash.

Either way..we are in deep shit.

Hang on, Shez (who has been managing these guys for half a year, played over 600 League games, is a former International & World Cup footballer, and managed over 500 League games) yet didn't realise.

But you did.

For weeks?

:laught16:

4 minutes ago, Magister said:

You are absolutely right "Fane is simply not good enough" .....you are also right about the midfield in general

I'm struggling with your criticism of Fane who is, IMO, adequately fulfilling (but nothing more) his duties of breaking up play. Anything over and above that, he fails dismally.

Whereas, Banks, who is there as playmaker, has yet to to deliver a killer pass in just over one season and escapes your direct criticism.

Should we get a "midfield-general" this week as has been suggested, who would you prefer at the side of him.....Banks or Fane?

6 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Whereas, Banks, who is there as playmaker, has yet to to deliver a killer pass in just over one season and escapes your direct criticism. 

By no means Banks' biggest fan, but this is nonsense. One on Saturday, for a start. The one for Erwin at the end of last season, can't remember against who. 

He's flawed, and doesn't do enough defensively, but he can pass a ball. 

10 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

By no means Banks' biggest fan, but this is nonsense. One on Saturday, for a start. The one for Erwin at the end of last season, can't remember against who. 

He's flawed, and doesn't do enough defensively, but he can pass a ball. 

Bluddy Hell......nobody has said he can't.........but he's a master at "FLOATING" the ball in which invariably is a defenders dream. Mike Jones used "ping" the ball which usually causes a bit of trouble.

You must have thought long and hard to find those two examples!!!

So, I'll ask you the same question.........midfield general comes in.....who partners him, Fane or Banks?

I am no fan of Banks at all though we have to acknowledge it was his 60 yard pass which led to Maclaughlins goal and his free kick which should have been converted by Tope.

I am not trying to compare our midfielders I am merely saying I cannot see a footbalers gene in Fane.....he can't head he can't pass he can't shootb and he can't visualise the pattern of play and he is not even a great tackler as demonstrated by how often he gets sent off and gives away needless free kicks and pens.  He is a superb athlete though

2 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Bluddy Hell......nobody has said he can't.........but he's a master at "FLOATING" the ball in which invariably is a defenders dream. Mike Jones used "ping" the ball which usually causes a bit of trouble.

You must have thought long and hard to find those two examples!!!

So, I'll ask you the same question.........midfield general comes in.....who partners him, Fane or Banks?

Gardner is similar to Mike Jones, who did ok with us, so we may see an improvement in creativity.