Shez - "I need five or six players"

If we wanted Baxter wouldn't we have signed him by now?

He appears to be unattached and with 2 drug bans is regarded as damaged goods by other clubs knowone has snapped him up. I'd imagine if we wanted him he would come pretty cheap, I reckon he would also want to play here he would clearly have some affection for the club.

Does he even want to be a footballer anymore?

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we wanted Baxter wouldn't we have signed him by now?

He appears to be unattached and with 2 drug bans is regarded as damaged goods by other clubs knowone has snapped him up. I'd imagine if we wanted him he would come pretty cheap, I reckon he would also want to play here he would clearly have some affection for the club.

Does he even want to be a footballer anymore?

He's contracted to Everton. 

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:
Two weeks later he suddenly needs 5 or 6 new players.... 

He's not wrong though, is he?  Of course he was going to be upbeat in pre-season, that's standard football etiquette, innit.  It's only a couple of weeks ago, everyone on here was commenting at what mugs the bookies were to have us as favourites for relegation.

As for the 5 or 6 players, for a start he needs another keeper.  Not having a keeper on your bench is fucking stupid.  Next is Dummigan (or Dummingham as Shez likes to call him) - Shez has got every right to feel frustrated with him.  What's happened to the player we had on loan.  How has he managed to replicate Joe Mills' regression after becoming a permanent signing?  Banks and Green, I've said since before the season started that if those two are regular starters, we're going to struggle.  Flynn has been a complete waste of a wage.  And I reckon we could probably do with another full back too.

I don't want to sound unduly negative, I'm not overly concerned yet and I think there are some good players in our squad but when the fill the gaps with the shit we have, it's going to be an uphill battle.  It's annoying that we're never ready for the new season in terms of building a squad of players.

Sheridan's rant, as Paddy said much further up the thread, was a thinly veiled call to Corney to free up the money to sign the players he needs before the transfer window shuts.  I'm glad he gives a shit.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sounds as though we've spent up for this window if we are scrambling around with foreign trialists.

Or maybe the sh*t that is still on the market are still overpriced and Sheridan is trialling them Johnny Foreighers because they are prepared to come for less than the living wage in the hope one may be a little gem.

4 hours ago, DerbyshireLatic said:

Not in the same class of course but some players aren't in a team to score goals...they have other roles like carrying water!!

Didier Deschamps 427 appearances 17 goals!

Water carriers? you need fire engine hosepipes for this lot.

Edited by BP1960

20 minutes ago, Markspark92 said:

Toumani Diagouraga is available on a free from Leeds, would be an upgrade on Fane 

Got promoted with Brentford from league one 2013-14 and their player of the season the year after

30, so could still have 2 or 3 years left in him 

allegedly on £7.5 k /week, so puts him out of our pay league me thinks 

Edited by stevesidg

Just caught up with lots of posts and seen the topic go from discussing Fane/Banks to talking up Flynn. Deary me. 

I think most will accept that Fane can tackle and break play up but not care enough for the ball or finding a fellow Latics shirt. 

I think most will accept that Banks can play the odd decent ball once every 3 games (that’s this season, that average wouldn’t hold up for last season) for those ahead of him to work with but will shit out of pretty much any tackle.

I do agree that Fane could work better with someone with more bottle and craft alongside him than Banks but he must improve on last season. To be a side further up the table you simply must have players that can have more than one attribute in their role. They don’t have to brilliant it at (they wouldn’t be at ours if they were) but they have to be at least capable. Whereas I just don’t see Banks ever growing a spine or any consistency in his game to improve on his poor-to-sometimes-average offering. 

7 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I do agree that Fane could work better with someone with more bottle and craft alongside him than Banks but he must improve on last season. To be a side further up the table you simply must have players that can have more than one attribute in their role. They don’t have to brilliant it at (they wouldn’t be at ours if they were) but they have to be at least capable. Whereas I just don’t see Banks ever growing a spine or any consistency in his game to improve on his poor-to-sometimes-average offering. 

Well put, sir.......I am in total agreement on this paragraph!!!

Edited by mikejh45

Surely we have had our eyes on potential loan players throughout the summer ? 

Must be a young midfielder out there who'll get on the ball and dictate play . Wigan probably have the best midfield in the league with Morsy , Powell & Jacobs , really fear for a pasting on Saturday . 

1 minute ago, GravityGrave said:

Surely we have had our eyes on potential loan players throughout the summer ? 

Must be a young midfielder out there who'll get on the ball and dictate play . Wigan probably have the best midfield in the league with Morsy , Powell & Jacobs , really fear for a pasting on Saturday . 

You hear more and more horror stories about loans, costs getting out of control.