Jack Byrne - signs

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they think with the takeover/investment if they contract him we will pay a fee rather than our normal cash strapped selves having him for free.

We can but hope one day we might pay for decent players rather than gambling on loans and castoffs.

8 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I've got a very good feeling about this. He looks good on that YouTube video at Cambuur.

Am I right in saying the Dutch top flight is a better level than ours? 27 appearances and 4 goals while looking like he entertained along the way.

If he was black the Schmeltz comparisons would already be out there. He seems like exactly what we need right now. Is he what Ryan Flynn should have been for us ? I hope so. 

Just now, simplythemostimportantkick said:

If he was black the Schmeltz comparisons would already be out there. He seems like exactly what we need right now. Is he what Ryan Flynn should have been for us ? I hope so. 

He looks nothing like either of them to me. More of a playmaker. 

Set piece delivery looks good too. 

11 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I always thought Flynn should have been our playmaker tho. And technically should have been our best player. From reading that article Diego just put up , he seems to have a couple of extra attributes on Flynn tho i.e. Heart and desire 

16 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

A bit from Diego's link on the other thread-

Vieira compared Byrne to Roy Keane recently, while Niall Quinn spotted a resemblance to Paul Scholes. "They are a bit different. One of them is mad and one of them is a bit quiet. It's great. As a footballer I would be more inclined to be like Paul Scholes, that's the way I play."

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I've got a very good feeling about this. He looks good on that YouTube video at Cambuur.

Am I right in saying the Dutch top flight is a better level than ours? 27 appearances and 4 goals while looking like he entertained along the way.

From what I've seen of the Eredivisie I'd say it's comparable to the Championship.  Players in the league are more comfortable with the ball at their feet but it's played at a slower pace and a lot less physical.

Byrne looked decent in a struggling team when at Cambuur.  I think he'll be a step up in quality from our other midfielders but he'll need someone who can be a physical foil for him.