Ex players and that

Schmelts level this I think. That featherstone we had on trial looks tidy nothing more. Lanzoni bet he is regretting leaving us now. Harewood is awful!!

Lanzoni wouldn't start in our squad and would be in a fight to make the bench at CB or RB with everyone fit?

Honest question but how many good games did Sid have for us? I never really even saw his electric pace.

Lanzoni wouldn't start in our squad and would be in a fight to make the bench at CB or RB with everyone fit?

Honest question but how many good games did Sid have for us? I never really even saw his electric pace.

Arguably by staying here and playing regularly Lanzoni could have progressed a lot more as a player and be better for it.

Schmeltz showed natural talent but wasn't a particularly intelligent player and as a result LJ got rid the term headless chicken comes to mind.

Muzza looks quite animated on the bench didn't reallise little Willie Donnachie as assistant.

He tore preston apart at there place, if only we had a striker on the pitch to finish the 10s of chances he created... the televised night one!

I recall he pulled them all over the place that night, but not sure if it was him or lack of strikers that meant lack of goals? Maybe both.

I recall he pulled them all over the place that night, but not sure if it was him or lack of strikers that meant lack of goals? Maybe both.

Aye, probably a bit of both.. his crossing was never brilliant! I reckon that was one of his only standouts really, he never had a bad game though I don't think.

Aberdeen fan...

Adam Rooney - 15 goals in 22 games this season. Think it's 24 goals since he joined in January. Used wrongly or poor service? Don't understand why it never worked for him at Oldham.

Before the standard of Scottish football argument - most of our best players end up doing well at the top end of the Championship and quite rarely Premier League, average players bottom of Championship/League One and absolute dross in League Two. Rooney is definitely in the first category.

Aberdeen fan...

Adam Rooney - 15 goals in 22 games this season. Think it's 24 goals since he joined in January. Used wrongly or poor service? Don't understand why it never worked for him at Oldham.

Before the standard of Scottish football argument - most of our best players end up doing well at the top end of the Championship and quite rarely Premier League, average players bottom of Championship/League One and absolute dross in League Two. Rooney is definitely in the first category.

I think a bit of both. He never really settled here but you could see he had ability somewhere. As soon as he missed a late penalty at Walsall he was out. Not really surprised to see him doing well i the SPL - probably a similar overall level to League One.

Aberdeen fan...

The fact we tried to hoof it to his head didn't help, nor did the fans that began to sarcastically cheer him in the warm ups and matches. Although he didn't do enough himself either: too distant from the play too often and sometimes looked disheartened very early in the match.

Don't think it was ever destined to work but we didn't help ourselves and nor did he.

How do most of his goals for you come (other than penalties!) and what formation do you play?

Playing him on the left wing at times never really brought the best out of him, I imagine he was brought in with the idea of playing two out and out wingers to provide the crosses he feeds off but with Montano, Shmeltz and Dayton flopping for different reasons we never got to see

the best of him. Glad he is doing well for himself he was a model pro here and deserved better luck.

Aberdeen fan...

Some of us keep an interest in Scottish football, mostly to the annoyance of the others.

Rooney never showed any one attribute that made me think he had it. He wasn't good back to goal (despite bizarrely bulking up and becoming less mobile), he didn't attack goal scoring positions. He seemed happier to drift wide even when there was a real winger outside him. No hard feelings but it's all for the best that he's moved on and is doing well. He was proper :censored: here.

Aberdeen fan...

He was burdened with high expectations based solely on his name, then didnt have broad enough shoulders to overcome our vocal weapons who like to hound out our own players. Joins the ranks over other ':censored:' Latics players such as Davies, Johson, Ogrady, Adebola, Eardley who we give away cos theyre ':censored:' but they end up playing higher than us! Incidentally, being Scottish, have you heard of Liam Kelly? Nearly happened with him too.

The fact we tried to hoof it to his head didn't help, nor did the fans that began to sarcastically cheer him in the warm ups and matches. Although he didn't do enough himself either: too distant from the play too often and sometimes looked disheartened very early in the match.

Don't think it was ever destined to work but we didn't help ourselves and nor did he.

How do most of his goals for you come (other than penalties!) and what formation do you play?

Were playing 4-5-1 last season. Scored in his first game with a rebound header, became a hero straight away.

Second game, cup semi-final, gets an assist in the first minute, scores the 3rd to make it 3-0 and kill off the game when St Johnstone were on top. Well worth a watch:

Scored the winner against Celtic from a diving header 3 weeks later, and a heap in the weeks before and after that.

Then scores the winning penalty in the cup final. 8 in his first 11 games, plus that penalty.

Scored 5 in the first two Europa League games this season, then a penalty away to Groningen to send us through to play Real Sociedad. Think he's still joint top scorer in the EL this season!

Anyway, we signed David Goodwillie and changed to a 4-4-2 which benefited Rooney massively, Goodwillie getting nearly all the assists. Started scoring for fun..Rooney got 5 in the first 3 games. All different types of goals, 20 yarders, headers, tap ins.

Now got almost as good a set of players possible to supply Rooney. Cracking right back, left winger, attacking centre mids and strike partner. Would put my money on him getting over 30 this season.

Were playing 4-5-1 last season. Scored in his first game with a rebound header, became a hero straight away.

Second game, cup semi-final, gets an assist in the first minute, scores the 3rd to make it 3-0 and kill off the game when St Johnstone were on top. Well worth a watch:

Scored the winner against Celtic from a diving header 3 weeks later, and a heap in the weeks before and after that.

Then scores the winning penalty in the cup final. 8 in his first 11 games, plus that penalty.

Scored 5 in the first two Europa League games this season, then a penalty away to Groningen to send us through to play Real Sociedad. Think he's still joint top scorer in the EL this season!

Anyway, we signed David Goodwillie and changed to a 4-4-2 which benefited Rooney massively, Goodwillie getting nearly all the assists. Started scoring for fun..Rooney got 5 in the first 3 games. All different types of goals, 20 yarders, headers, tap ins.

Now got almost as good a set of players possible to supply Rooney. Cracking right back, left winger, attacking centre mids and strike partner. Would put my money on him getting over 30 this season.

Any chance we can have him back?

Werent we rumoured with signing him last season whilst still having Adam Rooney? We could have been in the Europa League by now if Johnson had sorted that out.

Edited by youngen

A very frustrating watch, but also a very enlightening one too.

Seeing Rooney with such enthusiasm, pace, directness and eagerness is something we rarely watched. That second goal where he earns the penalty, I'm not sure he would've chased that down for us. While I'm not trying to say he didn't work hard, he never had that spark or confidence or desire that you need to chase lost causes. It was one of those cases where you want something so badly that you end up trying too hard and losing all motivation and desire when it doesn't work out.

You could of course put it down to luck - for the assist the defender should be clearing that really - but although it falls kindly for him he still has to make it to that position. Reminds me of his assist for JCH at Sheffield United actually. The last is just a case of service and positioning too. He rarely got into that sort of situation for us as he was playing with his back to goal too often without the ball to his feet, seeing the ball sail over his head or inevitably losing the jumping competition with a taller centre back. I attribute that to the manager misjudging how to utilise him.

Funnily enough we were after Goodwillie at the time we got rid of Rooney. Maybe it could've been a lot different if we ended up with both...In truth, we could debate forever why it never worked out - we did to the point of tedium at the time - and never have a definitive answer until we asked the player himself.

Edited by NewBlue