Rotherham (a)

What's with all the love in for Stott? It's only because he hasn't been playing that you think he's the saviour. 

Shez said he's a million miles away from the first team as he's been injured. Stott is slower than Edmundson and a lot less experienced yet because he's got a left foot he's the saviour.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

What's with all the love in for Stott? It's only because he hasn't been playing that you think he's the saviour. 

Shez said he's a million miles away from the first team as he's been injured. Stott is slower than Edmundson and a lot less experienced yet because he's got a left foot he's the saviour.

I'm not sure that Edmundson has gained any footballing "nous" from his first team experiences. He was poor under Robinson on his brief appearances, poor when he went out on loan hence the hefty ban and poor so far this season in a back 3.

Stott was given more first team opportunities under Sheridan last season and acquitted himself reasonably well.

I would say, based on the evidence so far, Stott is more deserving than Edmundson.

The problem is, and at risk of repeating myself, is a lack of a defence coach.......we should have tried to bring back Shirtliff instead of employing that treacherous, Scottish gimp.

Adding to that last point, we have 3 midfield coaches include Sheridan all of whom played to a good/high level, and we still look clueless and disorganised.

9 hours ago, Laticfanatic1 said:

We're in a dog fight because of Sheridan and his team selection and tactics, he's too stubborn to change it. Ruddy and Edmundson shouldn't be anywhere near the first team, probably add Gerrard to that list aswell. Stott comes back from injury he slots straight back in surely.

Whilst it may be true that Ruddy is rubbish, Wilson and Placide are worse.

Ruddy- rubbish 2/10

McLaughin- started well I thought

Gerrard- some silly clipped passes, seems a shadow of himself 5/10

Clarke- tried to play out from back, cut a frustrated figure at times 5/10

Edmundson- roasted. Take him out of firing line for own good 3/10

Nepocemo- not a wingback 6/10

Gardner- was playing well 6/10

Byrne- best player 7/10

Bryan- should have given it to Queensys feet twice at 1-1 6/10

Davies- 2nd best player 7/10

Tope- touch was shit, finish was shit, made some good runs and a couple of shit ones 4/10

Dummigan- got forward well 6/10

Omrani- tried to get involved 5/10

Queensy- don't know how that foul on him wasn't given. Wants the ball to feet not 20 yards away to chase 2/10

We are stuck with the goalkeepers we have unless the foreign legion can provide us with an out of contract EU citizen who is better.  So far I have seen Wilson and Ruddy who are both on loan.  It is possible that we might have to play Ruddy to save money, we just don't know and if that is the case so much for Sheridan picking the team.

We have another goalkeeper who is all our own for the next two years with Placebo.  I would like to see him play in a league game as what difference would it make if we lose and he might just have the character to boss our defence into some sort of shape.  I know he has been called away to Japan for 11 October but he must be available for Tuesday.

If he is just a bench warmer then we have to hope that Ruddy will play himself into form rather than losing any confidence he had.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Whilst it may be true that Ruddy is rubbish, Wilson and Placide are worse.

And your assessment of Placide is based on what exactly?

And there’s not a chance that Wilson is worse than Ruddy. Ruddy can’t even kick a ball in a straight line. He’s made 2 good saves since he got in the side and that’s about it. Yesterday he couldn’t hold onto a thing. One easy catch literally went off the palm of his hands for a corner which Rotherham had a goal disallowed from. Their 1st goal...he goes walkabout when he can never get there. He did it several times. Then their goal from the corner...he correctly stays but it’s right down the middle of goal...it’s there to save. Nope. Nowhere near it. Piss poor. 

Wilson let in 1 shocker at Blackpool but did little else wrong. I’ve never seen so much bollocks written about a player as I’ve seen about Wilson. Ruddy needs removing and either him or Placide needs putting in on Tuesday. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

11 hours ago, Laticfanatic1 said:

orami first game came on 61 minutes, give the guy time, as for queesny he's had 15 mins before today, he made a few runs today where he could of been played in but midfield failed to play the ball to release him

Could you appreciate that players have an obligation to offer more than being in a position to be played in. In the modern game tracking back and defending is a critical part of the game even for forwards. Some players (eg Sydney) look great running with the ball and doing step overseas, but are a liability over 90 minutes

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

No chance. Goalkeepers thrive on confidence...Ruddys is completely shot to pieces now. He will get worse before better mark my words. Need to at least try Placebo...nothing to lose 

Even if his confidence was ok he seems totally unaware of the basics of goalkeeping, that's the problem. 

What a bizarre game it was looking back nearly a day later.

Two teams having a go at each other from the off, chances for both. 

Ruddy makes a tremendous save to stop a certain goal and then immediately goes walkabout from (I think) the resulting corner for them to score the softest of goals. 

We then carry on having a go and deservedly get the equaliser. This pushes us on, which was great to see, and we finish the half the better side and could & should have gone in 2-1 up had Tope finished his chance. 

Second half starts in a similar fashion but they soon get on top and put us under the cosh.

It then turned into one of those where we should have been 5 or 6 down and you start thinking we're going to rob them here late on.

Omrani and Menig come on. They don't do much but don't do much wrong either and for 10 minutes it stays at 1-1.

At 2-1 down we get another chance or two so you think we're still in it. 

Even at 3-1 down we missed a chance and I was thinking "you never know".

Then it all just went to shit :lol:

I'm still shaking my head thinking about it.

It sounds daft, and I'm not trying to defend the players responsible for shipping 5 goals, but we did enough good stuff in the game for me to be strangely confident going into Tuesdays game.

Keep Shez, get rid of Ruddy, go 4 at the back and I think we can turn this round quickly.

While I disagree with them, I can understand those calling for Shez to go & he could have no complaints given our league position and results but.....

It's not as simple as that sometimes (sometimes it is, and has been in the past)...

We know what's wrong and we know what needs changing in order to rectify that.

If we can do that and what's going well (which is quite a few things in midfield & upfront) continues to work well we might well be fine.

Let's break from the norm and give him time. Especially as there is still a hell of a lot of it left in the season....

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

What a bizarre game it was looking back nearly a day later.

Two teams having a go at each other from the off, chances for both. 

Ruddy makes a tremendous save to stop a certain goal and then immediately goes walkabout from (I think) the resulting corner for them to score the softest of goals. 

We then carry on having a go and deservedly get the equaliser. This pushes us on, which was great to see, and we finish the half the better side and could & should have gone in 2-1 up had Tope finished his chance. 

Second half starts in a similar fashion but they soon get on top and put us under the cosh.

It then turned into one of those where we should have been 5 or 6 down and you start thinking we're going to rob them here late on.

Omrani and Menig come on. They don't do much but don't do much wrong either and for 10 minutes it stays at 1-1.

At 2-1 down we get another chance or two so you think we're still in it. 

Even at 3-1 down we missed a chance and I was thinking "you never know".

Then it all just went to shit :lol:

I'm still shaking my head thinking about it.

It sounds daft, and I'm not trying to defend the players responsible for shipping 5 goals, but we did enough good stuff in the game for me to be strangely confident going into Tuesdays game.

Keep Shez, get rid of Ruddy, go 4 at the back and I think we can turn this round quickly.

While I disagree with them, I can understand those calling for Shez to go & he could have no complaints given our league position and results but.....

It's not as simple as that sometimes (sometimes it is, and has been in the past)...

We know what's wrong and we know what needs changing in order to rectify that.

If we can do that and what's going well (which is quite a few things in midfield & upfront) continues to work well we might well be fine.

Let's break from the norm and give him time. Especially as there is still a hell of a lot of it left in the season....

For an experienced OWTB campaigner like you, Harry, you should know better than to post something sensible. 

Good post. Plain, simple and to the point.

Awful defending for the goals, no desire to close players down.

Weak tackling wing backs and leaden footed centre backs who can't rise to head a ball is something every club that plays against us will take advantage of.

How you replace 5 poor defenders with what we have on the books is a dilemma, this lot look like keeping us down at the bottom.

Maybe Abdallah has some big quick free agents ready to bring in.

Its the only hope until January as I see it.

Edited by BP1960

25 minutes ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Oldham Athletic has never (really) been a sacking club. That loyalty is one of our (few) endearing features. Shez stays!

You are kidding right?

I could agree up to Joe Royle.....but Sharpe, Warnock, Wadsworth, Talbot, Moore, Sheridan, Penney, Dickov, Holden, Kelly, Robinson............all sacked.....I can't recall any them walking.

Only Dowie and Johnson walked.

I agree he stays but he has to look at his backroom staff immediately.

1 hour ago, mikejh45 said:

You are kidding right?

I could agree up to Joe Royle.....but Sharpe, Warnock, Wadsworth, Talbot, Moore, Sheridan, Penney, Dickov, Holden, Kelly, Robinson............all sacked.....I can't recall any them walking.

Only Dowie and Johnson walked.

I agree he stays but he has to look at his backroom staff immediately.

A lot of those were given the length of their contracts. Over how many years are you looking and then include the reigns of Big Joe and JImmy Frizzell. Never a sacking club until the last couple of Corneys shambolic years