Placide

49 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

There's a lack of height on dealing with crosses (including Placide)

These days most  teams have 6ft 4" + players who will take advantage.

I think your stating the obvious yet the only solution I've seen you suggest is sticking the vertically challenged Brian Wilson back in there, out of interest how has this defence gone from being the best in the Division to the worst in a matter of months? Was Ripley that good?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last season the clean sheets were building week on week and I think there was a collective determination to keep the run going. There doesn’t seem to be the same mindset this term and there’s a lot of ball watching going on....they need a kick up the arse and Gerrard, who for me didn’t do much wrong, is deserving of a recall.

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think your stating the obvious yet the only solution I've seen you suggest is sticking the vertically challenged Brian Wilson back in there, out of interest how has this defence gone from being the best in the Division to the worst in a matter of months? Was Ripley that good?

You haven't read all my posts, I suggested the answer will have to wait while January.

Without stating the obvious the defensive  frailties coincide with the decline of Gerrard and Clarke.

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You haven't read all my posts, I suggested the answer will have to wait while January.

Without stating the obvious the defensive  frailties coincide with the decline of Gerrard and Clarke.

More of a coincidence is asking them to do more and leaving them more exposed, as players they've not necessarily declined they are just being offered less protection, it's a symptom of our desire to play a more free flowing attack minded game.

Edited by yarddog73

42 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

More of a coincidence is asking them to do more and leaving them more exposed, as players they've not necessarily declined they are just being offered less protection, it's a symptom of our desire to play a more free flowing attack minded game.

We have to disagree on this, even when sitting deep we look shaky - as at late on v MK Dons.

Edited by BP1960

6 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

In what way is he not "having some respect"?

Placide played and Magister is passing comment on his performances in a perfectly respectful, normal manner (which is unusual for him).....

5 hours ago, palmer1 said:

2 assists?

one v Bury & who was the other? I've forgotten

someone claimed MKDons the other day because he was involved in a 12 pass sequence?

Not Bratford surely? Dummigan made the assist after receiving the ball from Davies, he played a long pass

Yes I was erroneously counting Bradford - one assist is still ok though!

and by have some respect - the blokes lost his mother - I find it a bit distasteful to criticise someone’s first day back at work (or first game) so soon after that but that’s just me, didn’t mean to offend anyone.

yes he’s conceded goals but still think he’s miles ahead of the other 2 and has saved more than he’s cost us. Ironically after last year it’s the defence which is the issue 

1 hour ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Yes I was erroneously counting Bradford - one assist is still ok though!

and by have some respect - the blokes lost his mother - I find it a bit distasteful to criticise someone’s first day back at work (or first game) so soon after that but that’s just me, didn’t mean to offend anyone.

yes he’s conceded goals but still think he’s miles ahead of the other 2 and has saved more than he’s cost us. Ironically after last year it’s the defence which is the issue 

With all due respect to him & the circumstances. If he wasn't up too it he shouldn't have played. It's that simple, he is a professional.

He has one assist...

One clean sheet also which is most important and needs improving.

All the Cruyff turns in the world won't put points on the board.

Let's hope his heads in the right place and he can help us move further up the league.

5 hours ago, palmer1 said:

With all due respect to him & the circumstances. If he wasn't up too it he shouldn't have played. It's that simple, he is a professional.

He has one assist...

One clean sheet also which is most important and needs improving.

All the Cruyff turns in the world won't put points on the board.

Let's hope his heads in the right place and he can help us move further up the league.

Alright saying your a professional but if your parent dies doesn’t matter what you do for a living it will affect you. Down to the manager to check if he is right to play.

Plenty of big saves have won us 3 points this season Peterborough, Portsmouth, Bury spring to mind. Keeper isn’t the issue mike. 

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nope, the defence is, which I think is what Palmer1 is getting at. Last week, everyone (especially you) was happy to lay the blame at the feet of the goalie, when it was obviously a defensive issue...

Paddy if you don’t think he was part of the issue last week I would be amazed! The lad doesn’t communicate and can’t kick a ball. His kicking was putting constant pressure on us, I was happy to put blame on his door and rightly so along with others Clarke especially been shocking for weeks. What mike said about the cruyff turns i took as he wasn’t contributing. Clearly read it wrong. 

Edited by adamoafc

1 hour ago, adamoafc said:

Paddy if you don’t think he was part of the issue last week I would be amazed! The lad doesn’t communicate and can’t kick a ball. His kicking was putting constant pressure on us, I was happy to put blame on his door and rightly so along with others Clarke especially been shocking for weeks. What mike said about the cruyff turns i took as he wasn’t contributing. Clearly read it wrong. 

Who's this Mike character? he don't know shit! 

Palmer1 on the other hand...fkn fountain of knowledge :) 

3 hours ago, adamoafc said:

For what it's worth, I don't have much confidence in any of our keepers. Placide is obviously the best of the 3 at the moment, but I think a mixture of all our keepers, and our defence at the moment, will lead to us finishing much nearer the bottom of the League than the top ...

Edited by Lee Sinnott

IMO the key reason for the difference between last season and this is the formation.

Sheridan played with one up top in the main. On occasions when he played Holloway and Erwin, Holloway played a deeper holding role.

He also played 5 at the back in the main either 5 4 1 or 5 3 1 1, which is mush more defensive than our current 4 4 2 offensive game with attacking full backs.

In our first 16 games we conceded 18 goals last season v 35 this season.

As we know the goals scored is also polar opposite to last year. After 16 league games last season we had scored 9 I think v 27 this season.

Granted Ripley was exceptional last season but the goals conceded this year v last have far more to do with formation and tactics than personnel.

Need to find a happy medium which Wellens eluded to after Carlisle debacle. What this looks like....down to Richie!

As I've said previously attacking formations are very entertaining but do have consequences and you never win much.....unless you are Citee!

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

IMO the key reason for the difference between last season and this is the formation.

Sheridan played with one up top in the main. On occasions when he played Holloway and Erwin, Holloway played a deeper holding role.

He also played 5 at the back in the main either 5 4 1 or 5 3 1 1, which is mush more defensive than our current 4 4 2 offensive game with attacking full backs.

In our first 16 games we conceded 18 goals last season v 35 this season.

As we know the goals scored is also polar opposite to last year. After 16 league games last season we had scored 9 I think v 27 this season.

Granted Ripley was exceptional last season but the goals conceded this year v last have far more to do with formation and tactics than personnel.

Need to find a happy medium which Wellens eluded to after Carlisle debacle. What this looks like....down to Richie!

As I've said previously attacking formations are very entertaining but do have consequences and you never win much.....unless you are Citee!

Fair points and very well put but I'd also like to add that 99% of the time we win feck all however we approach games so this novel idea of having a go and being on either end of 3-2 scorelines and 4-4 draws with the odd last minute winner against Lancashire rivals isn't as bad as some are making out, I'd take the last 8 games over any of the dross we've had to watch the past few seasons and although there's some need to reign it in a little let's not go overboard and end up going back to the borefests we witnessed under your Holdens, Dunns, Kellys and Robinsons. Wellens is a breath of fresh air for me and I hope he keeps his positive attacking approach going forward - even if it means we let in a few.

We were more solid last season because the pitch was a mess and the opposition would have to hoof it which was bread and butter for us especially Gerard who doesn’t lose much in the air. Factor in that we never got many men ahead of the ball and we had a keeper in inspired form and there’s your reason.

im not comparing us to them but it’s the same reason why City concede so many goals and Burnley don’t, it’s how many men you commit ahead of the ball which helps you create chances as you overload the opposition but conversely when play breaks down    Then you’re outnumbered defensively. 

Granted we’ve been poor at set pieces compared to last year but we’re all getting value for money entertainment wise and isn’t that what we wanted rather than 0-1 and 0-2 defeats?

14 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

We were more solid last season because the pitch was a mess and the opposition would have to hoof it which was bread and butter for us especially Gerard who doesn’t lose much in the air. Factor in that we never got many men ahead of the ball and we had a keeper in inspired form and there’s your reason.

im not comparing us to them but it’s the same reason why City concede so many goals and Burnley don’t, it’s how many men you commit ahead of the ball which helps you create chances as you overload the opposition but conversely when play breaks down    Then you’re outnumbered defensively. 

Granted we’ve been poor at set pieces compared to last year but we’re all getting value for money entertainment wise and isn’t that what we wanted rather than 0-1 and 0-2 defeats?

City have conceded less than Burnley this season... so that arguments void? Sentiment is right though.

Edited by MAC0AFC

10 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Class... again.

Seriously? How much could he have had to do against a team like that to be descri ed as class. Matt Chambers called it men against boys & then dads vs kids.

Over estimation of his performance maybe but I bet he kicked well which seems to be enough for some.

Just now, palmer1 said:

Seriously? How much could he have had to do against a team like that to be descri ed as class. Matt Chambers called it men against boys & then dads vs kids.

Over estimation of his performance maybe but I bet he kicked well which seems to be enough for some.

You didn’t go?

He made a great save 1 on 1. Distribution was btillliant (lead to one goal again), caught almost everything and could do nothing for their goal. (2 Cruyff turns... standard)

As I said

Class.... again. 

Not sure why you needed to post what you did in this thread, inference is that it was his fault. It wasn’t. 

13 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

He did get caught out once trying to dribble his way out.

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

You didn’t go?

He made a great save 1 on 1. Distribution was btillliant (lead to one goal again), caught almost everything and could do nothing for their goal. (2 Cruyff turns... standard)

As I said

Class.... again. 

Not sure why you needed to post what you did in this thread, inference is that it was his fault. It wasn’t. 

No I didn't travel 1.5 hrs to watch a fkn checatrade game!

Caught almost everything? Thats class!

I didn't need to post anything, I chose to as it's a message board and a thread about Placide following in from previous posts.

I didn't suggest it was his fault I said he conceded a goal. Which he did...again. 

I have to wonder if his kicking was poor with his current goals against record if  everybody would think he was class. He certainly concedes a lot. Read into that what you will.

'Big picture'