PLAYERS STAFF STEWARDS NOT PAID - CRISIS

1 hour ago, OnchanJules said:

I know football clubs are always seen as being something different, but is there any other type of business which would just continue running up loses on a daily basis and then look for someone to pump in new investment every 6 months to keep it afloat without any prospect of  change. Unfortunately the club needs match income and income from other business activities to keep it going, and unless it starts to bring in more than it spends, inevitably it will go bust, the same as any other business. People don't attend games, there is no income to get decent players, the results are poor and so people don't attend games, its just a vicious circle of decline that will only end one way. 

People (particularly the sports media - because they don’t understand actual business) say football is a business these days.  It isn’t.  It’s nothing like normal business. If it was, we would have far fewer clubs. 

Edited by kowenicki

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, OnchanJules said:

I know football clubs are always seen as being something different, but is there any other type of business which would just continue running up loses on a daily basis and then look for someone to pump in new investment every 6 months to keep it afloat without any prospect of  change. Unfortunately the club needs match income and income from other business activities to keep it going, and unless it starts to bring in more than it spends, inevitably it will go bust, the same as any other business. People don't attend games, there is no income to get decent players, the results are poor and so people don't attend games, its just a vicious circle of decline that will only end one way

Which will be the way it has always gone.

People keep preaching that the death of football is around the corner and it keeps defying the odds most football clubs lose money they were 100 years ago they are today ( with the exception of the premier league) I imagine the same will be the case in 100 years from now.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Which will be the way it has always gone.

People keep preaching that the death of football is around the corner and it keeps defying the odds most football clubs lose money they were 100 years ago they are today ( with the exception of the premier league) I imagine the same will be the case in 100 years from now.

Do you have any citation for clubs 100 years ago losing money?

I find that hard to believe, given the comparative outlays (wages were comparatively small) versus incomes (attendance was comparatively large (albeit at a lower pp rate)), but would be very interested to be proved wrong.

2 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Let's put it this way. I'll give £1 to your penny that the PFA is seeing the players through this shit. I'm also willing to bet that the non-unionised staff are either into the petty cash or just simply going without, which is an absolute abomination.

...and I'll give you a £5 to your £1 that this is not happening at the local football club in Islington

10 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Eh?

You know...that club with the Michelin starred chefs , with a Diamond club advertising the height of exclusivity and luxury and with match  admission prices starting at £80, .you know....the club  praised in parliamentary early day motions as the best football club in the world.....any guesses who presented the motion and who one of the signatories was

1 hour ago, Zorrro said:

Exacerbated by people - mentioning no names - who get paid with tax dollars for the work they don't do.

I was wondering when you'd be on. Have you got an alert set up for whenever anyone mentions modern slavery?

I work 36 hours a week (minus 40 days annual leave and bank holidays and the Queen's Birthday). Not a second more nor less.

Plus the way it pans out next year is I carry over another 29 days annual leave because I was on sick leave while booked on annual leave. Immobilised with a broken leg. What are the chances?

The so-called taxpayers, as always, are bleeding me, not the other way around.

Come to think of it, the taxpayers get right on my titties. They've got this idea - they're so fucking precious - that because the Government takes it from them, they have a say in how it's spent. They form these opinions about anything and everything...coppers, hospitals, parliament...the lot. Why don't they just cough up and fuck off out of it?

1 hour ago, Ackey said:

I find that hard to believe, given the comparative outlays (wages were comparatively small) versus incomes (attendance was comparatively large (albeit at a lower pp rate)), but would be very interested to be proved wrong.

A bit more than 100 years ago but Accrington FC , founder members of the Football League, went bust in 1896 due to money problems 

(Stanley, in its original form, was founded in 1891 and didn't come into the League till 1921)

Edit; just been reminded that Middlesbrough Ironopolis who joined the League in 1893 went into liquidation the next year due to increased travel costs and wages

Edited by LaticsPete

28 minutes ago, Magister said:

You know...that club with the Michelin starred chefs , with a Diamond club advertising the height of exclusivity and luxury and with match  admission prices starting at £80, .you know....the club  praised in parliamentary early day motions as the best football club in the world.....any guesses who presented the motion and who one of the signatories was

That's on a par with Billericay Town going round with Jagerbombs after their matches.

42 minutes ago, Magister said:

What a load of old wank. Who gives a fuck about Barnet anyway?

34 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

I was wondering when you'd be on. Have you got an alert set up for whenever anyone mentions modern slavery?

I work 36 hours a week (minus 40 days annual leave and bank holidays and the Queen's Birthday). Not a second more nor less.

Plus the way it pans out next year is I carry over another 29 days annual leave because I was on sick leave while booked on annual leave. Immobilised with a broken leg. What are the chances?

The so-called taxpayers, as always, are bleeding me, not the other way around.

Come to think of it, the taxpayers get right on my titties. They've got this idea - they're so fucking precious - that because the Government takes it from them, they have a say in how it's spent. They form these opinions about anything and everything...coppers, hospitals, parliament...the lot. Why don't they just cough up and fuck off out of it?

That's not how you spell 'the social contract'.

Just now, underdog said:

Your Trust have been advised that most employees will have some cash today.

It's not ideal and we are monitoring the situation. It's the latest update we have I'm afraid.

lets hope it gets sorted quickly for those effected

most employees? sounds like we literally are potless and hes trying to scrape together last months wages.

An absolute disaster of latic proportions.

A suprising number of Prem team make a loss, and some of those that make a profit make a very paltry amount to turnover. So I think that the assertion that many would fold or certaintly struggle in the normal biusiness world is valid

Some of the latest available figures in a Guardian article

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

Biggest profit United £45m, but they have Net Debt of £261m

Biggest Debt Chelsea £1.14 Billion owed to Abramovich. City have had £1.2B in, only Net Debt of £11m but some "generous" sponsorship.  Leicester have highest Percentage Net Proft at c15%,

Biggest Loss Chelsea £81 million

26 minutes ago, rigsby said:

most employees? sounds like we literally are potless and hes trying to scrape together last months wages.

An absolute disaster of latic proportions.

I'm surprised your trust rep has been told that much. 

There have been infrequent OAFC board meetings of late, even to discuss the recent finances  submitted or potential new investment.

Let's hope eveyone gets some cash soon and Corney, will give us an update at some point.

Edited by underdog

4 minutes ago, underdog said:

I'm surprised your trust rep has been told that much. 

There have been infrequent OAFC board meetings of late, event o discuss the recent fiances submitted or potential new investment.

Let's hope eveyone gets some cash soon and Corney, will give us an update at some point.

You've used the word cash twice. Are you literally saying Corney has been down to the bank and paid them in pound notes?

2 hours ago, Ackey said:

CAn't inf anything from 1917, there was a War on you know... :)

interesting from M.EN. the accounts from Man City for 1913. They made £3,000 profit for the year. Total "benefits" for player for the year was £999!

£917 gate income for the year!

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/nostalgia/nostalgia-newsagent-tried-sell-out-of-date-4015696

hursday, May 22, 1913

FOOTBALL: Manchester City F.C. Annual Meeting

The annual meeting of the Manchester City Football Club Company Limited was last night in the Memorial Hall, Albert Square. Mr W. A. Wilkinson presided. The revenue account showed a profit of £3,601 after allowing £245 for depreciation and £999 for benefits to players.

Increases to gate receipts were reported of £917 for English League games, £293 for Central League games, £1,636 for F.A. Cup ties, £59 for charity games, and £341 for Lancashire and local cup ties. Players wages were reduced by £876 by economies affected in the summer, and the total expenditure was down by £361. The auditor in his report expressed the opinion that an allowance of £245 for depreciation was insufficient.

Replying to questions relating to increases of £380 in travelling and hotel expenses, £77 in bank charges, and £77 in sundry charges, the Chairman said that the test of success was the balance of profit. They spent more money on away matches through taking the players away earlier, and in his opinion money used in helping to win matches instead of losing them was well spent.

Heck of a lot of detail about Queens Park and Hampden

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/sport/football/chapter32.htm

By 1910 they had cleared the debt bar a bon and had cash in the bank of £91.

Edited by singe

5 hours ago, blueatheart said:

You've used the word cash twice. Are you literally saying Corney has been down to the bank and paid them in pound notes?

I can only tell you what I have been advised of by a member of the Trust board team.

No mention of Corney and cash was the word used, maybe it's quicker to get it to employees who need it ASAP.

i will get it clarified and .....I'll be back....

Clarified at 20.46pm. The club got the cash, how the club has paid it's employees this time is unknown. Apologies that I misinterpreted that bit wrong.

Edited by underdog
Cash