Our front two.

IMO your only as good as your strikers.

For so many seasons we’ve either had nobody, or one half decent to decent striker. I can’t remember the last time we had two up top who are so dangerous/prolific 

I’ve watched so many sides over the years who’ve come to BP with a similar strike partnership, an just looked on in envy. 

If we can keep Doyle in January. I think we’ll do more than ok this year. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a long time, so long I could not name the last good pairing.

Keeping Doyle is a priority even over Byrne.

Even if our form becomes more erratic over this season knowing that we can always score at least one goal will make all games interesting. The last few seasons if we conceded a goal the game was usually over right then.

6 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

Even if our form becomes more erratic over this season knowing that we can always score at least one goal will make all games interesting. The last few seasons if we conceded a goal the game was usually over right then.

Yeah, spot on. 

It’s great watching Doyle, with that air of envitability that he’s going to score. Davies has genuinely surprised me, i knew he’d hold it up but I didn’t think he would be as clinical as he has been. He’s been superb. 

Doyle as well as Davies have been fantastic.  Doyle looks like he will score everytime he gets the ball in and around the box.  Davies has surprised me with how well he holds the ball up and how he uses his strength.  The pair of them work hard as well over 90 mins (or with us at the minute 100 0dd!).  

They seem to know what eachother is going to do and where they will be- flick ons by Davies especially.  

Hope we get Doyle in Jan, was he injured before we signed him, if not Preston must have some strikers!!

6 hours ago, Stagger Lee said:

All about opinions, but as good as Doyle is I think the priority is keeping Byrne, the strikers are nothing without the service and Byrne gives us just that.

Once the takeover is completed and the new owner has come in to take the club forward then there's no question that they have to secure both Doyle and Byrne for this season and beyond.  Also if he is mates with Mansour then we secure Bryan too.

Edited by Midsblue

Doyle's got 9 already this season (although one of them from yesterday may/should get taken off him).

Erwin only got 8 in the league all of last season, and the year before our top scorer was Liam Kelly with 6. 

Mad how different it is when you have someone who can actually score. 

They are the best pairing in the division they complement each other so well  without Davies I don't think Doyle would of scored as many and Doyle's got the best assist record in the division of all the leading strikers  which is obviously benefiting Craig  . I wouldn't swap either of them for any other striker in the division 

Top scorers

Doyle is the 3rd highest scorer in the division but his goal per minute ratio is better than anyones in the league its 1 goal every 1 game exactly!!!!!!

Davies to is averaging under a goal  every 2 games we have in effevtively  the best strike partnership in the division. 

Which makes yesterday more frustrating going 4 - 2 up away from home at 80 minutes is the hard bit silly defending has cost us.

Edited by GlossopLatic

4 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Once the takeover is completed and the new owner has come in to take the club forward then there's no question that they have to secure both Doyle and Byrne for this season and beyond.  Also if he is mates with Mansour then we secure Bryan too.

I've heard that they're supposed to be related somehow. Lemsagem and Mansour I mean. 

Edited by Dave1978

54 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

They were saying on GMR the other night that Wellens doesn't/didn't want to play with 2 upfront, he'd rather play 4-2-3-1(iirc.) but he couldn't drop either Doyle or Davies with the form they are in.

Who exactly was saying this?

in any case, Davies and Doyle are very fluid in movement and interchangeable. One of our great successes in the past few games has been Davies ability and influence on the game from a wider starting position.

We must sign Doyle.Davies and Doyle are the best strikers we have had for years..Just think of the dross we have had the misfortune to watch in the last few years.At last we are playing attractive and entertaining football.

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Top scorers

Doyle is the 3rd highest scorer in the division but his goal per minute ratio is better than anyones in the league its 1 in 1!!!!!!

Davies to is averaging under a goal  every 2 games we have in effevtively  the best strike partnership in the division. 

Which makes yesterday more frustrating going 4 - 2 up away from home at 80 minutes is the hard bit silly defending has cost us.

1 goal every minute! That’s around 4,000 a season. Should be enough for promotion that. 

4 hours ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

1 goal every minute! That’s around 4,000 a season. Should be enough for promotion that. 

Aye we can start planning next seasons away trips now to the championship as we should also win the FA cup so a european tour should be on the cards too winner!

NB 1 in 1 game is Doyle's record fyi

easily the best pairing we have had and doyle's workrate is great to see. Both working hard and now full of confidence they should keep scoring. Both have had 20+ goal seasons in the past at this level when they play regularly so shouldnt be a flash in pan. i expect them to keep scoring if we keep playing in the same way. just hope wellens doesnt go to 1 up front away seeing as they have been so prolific. 

6 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

easily the best pairing we have had and doyle's workrate is great to see. Both working hard and now full of confidence they should keep scoring. Both have had 20+ goal seasons in the past at this level when they play regularly so shouldnt be a flash in pan. i expect them to keep scoring if we keep playing in the same way. just hope wellens doesnt go to 1 up front away seeing as they have been so prolific. 

Why would he? I dont think Wellens will change any of the central spine of the team, without being forced to by injury or suspension.

36 minutes ago, youngen said:

Besides possibly Yorke and Cole, I'm not sure there has ever been a greater strike force in history

Me and leeslover were trying to remember what the last proper strike partnership we had was. Last one I can think of was Hughes and Alessandra. Alas, I fear we've got no chance of keeping Doyle after Christmas.