Wimbledon (H)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had 6 substitutions, one of which the Ref strolled across the pitch with their player. I'd like to know what conversation they were enjoying at the time. We had the trainer on the pitch and the Ref had spoken to their keeper at least 6 times to speed up, including in the 1st half. Finally booking the keeper when it really didn't matter anymore. Yet we get 4 mins added on..........4 bloody minutes!!. I get it all teams try to run the clock down to protect the score line but sometimes its OTT. The Ref failed in this regard last night big time.

All that said the performance the lads put in was as much as one could ask for apart from the finishing. It could have been 5 or 6  like all who went and commented have posted that message. Tony Gerard was my MOM last night. My other stand outs were Dummy, Fane & Byrne.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Bit harsh on Gerrard because he's not put a foot wrong defensively but my feeling is Clarke offers more overall in both boxes, Gerrard just doesn't seem to have a goal in him whereas Clarke has history in bagging important ones, there's no doubt Gerrard is making the best of his chance though and it's good to see.

tbf In his last 3 games he has hit the bar once and the keeper made a good save from a 'spectacular volleyed scissor kick type effort' last night.

2 hours ago, aaronoafc said:

Was saying to my dad Nepo should try taking some of the set pieces, especially Corners on the Right side, the lad can whip a ball in

Agreed, no wonder Byrne looks tired after trekking right and left to take  every corner. 

1 hour ago, Lags said:

We had 6 substitutions, one of which the Ref strolled across the pitch with their player. I'd like to know what conversation they were enjoying at the time. We had the trainer on the pitch and the Ref had spoken to their keeper at least 6 times to speed up, including in the 1st half. Finally booking the keeper when it really didn't matter anymore. Yet we get 4 mins added on..........4 bloody minutes!!. I get it all teams try to run the clock down to protect the score line but sometimes its OTT. The Ref failed in this regard last night big time.

All that said the performance the lads put in was as much as one could ask for apart from the finishing. It could have been 5 or 6  like all who went and commented have posted that message. Tony Gerard was my MOM last night. My other stand outs were Dummy, Fane & Byrne.

If it was a red card offence for goalkeepers  to deliberately waste time they wouldn't do it.

Wasn't there a rule once a keeper had to release the ball on so many seconds after receiving it?

Edited by BP1960

Thought we really missed Gardner's forward runs last night. He constantly looks and carries the ball upfield which compliments Byrne's passing game. I noticed some people having a dig at him and Fane recently on here and felt our midfield lacked it's usual creativity and fluency. Although Green shaped adequately we missed the mobility and tenacity he brings to our midfield. 

26 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If it was a red card offence for goalkeepers  to deliberately waste time they wouldn't do it.

Wasn't there a rule once a keeper had to release the ball on so many seconds after receiving it?

6 seconds I believe

23 minutes ago, Lags said:

6 seconds I believe

It was only taken seriously during the world cup where the rule was trialed when you had keepers sprinting across the box to throw it for a counter. The season it was introduced into the league most keepers tried not to take the piss by holding it for over 10 seconds.... now nobody gives a toss

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Thought we really missed Gardner's forward runs last night. He constantly looks and carries the ball upfield which compliments Byrne's passing game. I noticed some people having a dig at him and Fane recently on here and felt our midfield lacked it's usual creativity and fluency. Although Green shaped adequately we missed the mobility and tenacity he brings to our midfield. 

Agree with this. I would defo bring him back in for Green but I'd be giving Green 20-30mins on saturday.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Proper winds me up when the keeper is wasting time and the ref jogs over to book him, then jogs back, wasting further time.

Usually accompanied by cheers from absolute thick twits who can't comprehend what is happening.

If our goalie wastes time like that, they are booked much sooner for some reason and then 6 or 7 minutes is added on, not 4. 

I hate all time wasting, but it seems acceptable now and time is supposedly added on to compensate. It's the time wasting that frustrates fans and it should be stamped out of the game. If I were a ref I would go into each dressing room before the game and give them a warning. Players walking off slowly would be booked and if they continued to walk slowly, or run slower than they walk, they would receive a red card and no sub would be allowed on. Goalkeepers should be booked on their first attempt to waste time and sent off if they do it again.

16 minutes ago, al_bro said:

If our goalie wastes time like that, they are booked much sooner for some reason and then 6 or 7 minutes is added on, not 4. 

I hate all time wasting, but it seems acceptable now and time is supposedly added on to compensate. It's the time wasting that frustrates fans and it should be stamped out of the game. If I were a ref I would go into each dressing room before the game and give them a warning. Players walking off slowly would be booked and if they continued to walk slowly, or run slower than they walk, they would receive a red card and no sub would be allowed on. Goalkeepers should be booked on their first attempt to waste time and sent off if they do it again.

Don't want to see refs brandishing the explusion tool for timewasting.

The obvious and sensible thing to do is to adopt the same timekeeping methods as rugby.

When the ball is out of play the goalkeeper wastes time by delaying the re start. That ca n be punished with a caution and the addition of time

However when the keeper catches the ball and falls to the ground the ball is still in play.....how quickly the goal keeper has to get up is a moot point but there is a law of the game ( rarely used) which says he can be penalised with an indirect free kick for holding the ball for longer than 6 seconds

when the keeper stops the ball with any part of his body except his hands and then just stands there he is doing nothing wrong whatsoever. 

We we were booing all 3 last night 

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Don't want to see refs brandishing the explusion tool for timewasting.

The obvious and sensible thing to do is to adopt the same timekeeping methods as rugby.It's 

Nah, I want to see my 90 minutes of football in as close to 90 minutes as possible. I can go to the pub and bitch about it sooner that way

5 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I'd say so. 

He looks right back to being the very good player we'd seen previously now. Hard to see him giving his place up. 

I can't see Clarke being too happy about it though.

As professional as you'd imagine he'd be he'll also want to be playing regularly in what might be his last season. 

His high level of fitness might drop away very quickly at his age if he's not playing every game and he might never get it back... 

On the other hand he might now do a Lockwood and just come in and be immense every time he's called upon....

Clarke was given a 2 and half contract in January? .....so unlikely to be his last season?

Agree with most of what's been said so far about the game except the MOTM...thought Bryan was outstanding last night and totally snuffed any inkling of an attack out. Cleared up a lot of Hunt's messes too. Also came out of defence with the ball a few times...I said after Carlisle I'd prefer him in midfield to defence, but his last couple of games have changed my mind. Maybe if we keep him in January and can find a suitable CB, then we can move him back into midfield (I just feel we are missing his attacking element as a defender) but if not, I'm more than happy for him to stay in defence. He's getting better and better there.

Regarding their keeper...that was appalling of the officials to ignore him handling a good foot outside the box. Had he got his yellow, he wouldn't have then time-wasted like he did for the rest of the game. Annoying.

I felt last night was a similar game to the Rochdale game (if you take out the Dummigan goal and then Dummigan cancelling out his goal) in terms of controlling most of the goal but not being able to find the net. Thankfully against Rochdale, our plugging away paid off and Doyle managed a late 2-goal salvo. It wasn't to be last night. I honestly feel had Doyle scored that glorious chance in the first couple of minutes we would've gone on to tonk them. Someone else will get that instead soon.

19 hours ago, oafc21 said:

Bollocks, this prick was wasting time from the kick off

Did anyone else see when he deliberately kicked the ball into The Chaddy when it was a goal kick midway through the first half?

It worked though because the ball boy took so long to retrieve it, Peter Clarke was about to go and get it instead.

Edited by bowl
Can't spell