Wimbledon (H)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

Awful and grim night admittedly.  But a poor attendance considering the run and entertainment. 

Last season we were struggling to get 3000 Tics on a Saturday, not a bad effort tonight all things considered, the next Saturday home game is a better measure of where we are in regards to attracting people back.

3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Football has many facets that wind us up, players diving or feigning injury as well as time wasting. Until the authorities start issuing mandates to punish offenders I'm afraid we are stuck with it.

I agree, which is why if I was a referee (specifically tonight’s) Wimbledon’s keeper would have received his second yellow when on immediately receiving his first he delayed his kick to pick yet more imaginary grass from his studs 

Bitterly disappointing. As dominant as I've ever seen us.

Not even like they defended well. We had plenty of good chances to score. Another day Doyle would've had 4.

They're games we have to be winning if we want to make any waves in this division.

Great to see Dummigan back with confidence too. It was shattered last season. Looks like the player we thought we'd signed.

Edited by NewBlue

40 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Wimbledon goalkeeper absolute disgrace - time keepers were sent off for time wasting since it’s the only position where you are unlikely to accrue the 5 yellows for a suspension in a season - this guy was booked yet will have no consequence and the twat was doing it from about 20 minutes in

Steady on. All keepers do it, and Ripley was a regular culprit last season. It's up to referees to negate it by cards and by adding time on to compensate.

Just now, Worcester Owl said:

Steady on. All keepers do it, and Ripley was a regular culprit last season. It's up to referees to negate it by cards and by adding time on to compensate.

Ive already said - I hate it when we do it too, it ruins the game and cards do not work with goalkeepers. When was the last goalkeeper to be suspended for accruing yellows? Oldham v Bury Johnny has saved last minute and has it in his hands - these days suggest hold on and wear down the clock - he jumps straight to his feet launches it upfield and Holloway scores the winner. That’s the attitude I want to see 

Horribly frustrating. Some wasteful finishing. Some good saves. Some lucky bounces for them. At least we created loads. Another day that's a drubbing. 

Half expected the one Johnny palmed onto Gerrard to dribble in our net and seal off an unlucky night.

Cameron Dominostwofortuesday back to his best. MOTM for me tonight. Some great runs and great deliveries. Went close with a left foot strike in 1st half that would have been an absolute worldy

My god we are playing some wonderful stuff, thought we played better tonight than Saturday, more width too

Surprised to see Gerrard playing after Saturdays clattering and seemed to be holding that left arm somewhat, but still out a shift in like the all did.

How the ball didn't get into the onion bag I'll never know

shame it's two points lost. It's still tight 

7 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Ive already said - I hate it when we do it too, it ruins the game and cards do not work with goalkeepers. When was the last goalkeeper to be suspended for accruing yellows? Oldham v Bury Johnny has saved last minute and has it in his hands - these days suggest hold on and wear down the clock - he jumps straight to his feet launches it upfield and Holloway scores the winner. That’s the attitude I want to see 

Hang on. Let's not kid ourselves. Placide has done it plenty of times this season. He's on 3 bookings at the moment - I think they're all for time wasting...

We were always going to get one of these at one point where nothing would go in.

We played well overall it just wouldn't go in. I thought Green came in and did a pretty steady job for us nothing amazing but kept it ticking along. I agree with others re Dummigan MOTM and playing like the player he can be. Importantly aswell despite not scoring at the right end we didnt concede a sloppy goal at our end eother in the past we have lost these games due to a daft defensive mistake.

Overall nothing to really worry about roll on saturday.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I thought we played really well, just missing our shooting boots otherwise would have had 3 or 4. They offered little going forward despite being able to knock it about.

Their keeper was lucky with what looked like handball out of his area and his time wasting was by far the worst I've seen for a long while. 

Very stop start game which I think threw us a little.  Dons played to the game in the end. They went ultra defensive and it got them a point. 

As steady as Green was we lost the intricate play that Gardner brings which gets us between the lines more and also gets Byrne into the game more. I’ll be glad when he’s back in the starting lineup on Saturday. 

Gillinghams strikers are Connor Wilkinson and Tom Eaves with Josh Parker our wide. As much as I rate Wilkinson we should not be losing to them, Gerrard and Bryan should have them in their pocket.

Im glad we’re away too so that our pitch can try and recover, understandably deteriorated tonight 

I thought Byrne was excellent tonight, if we'd scored 8 he would have been involved in 6 of them. He's crucial when our breaks slow down, getting behind the play and looking for openings. Like a fast Wellens at times.

Re: time wasting, I'm fed up of referees telling players they're adding the time on. I'm standing in the rain watching nothing for that same amount of time, just tell them to fucking get on with it.

Edited by leeslover

I've been publicly critical of him in the past (and will no doubt repeat in the future) but I was very impressed with Ousmane Fane tonight. Covered a lot of ground, had a bit of freedom to go forward, because Green was always going to cover for him if needed, and did the simple things well.

If he keeps this up I'm going to be £100 poorer come the first Saturday in August.

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

You can't get booked for inadvertently injuring your own team mate, can you...?

I could be wrong but thought it was for dangerous play by the way he jumped in, someone else said it was for mouthing off but considering how long Gerrard was down for doubt it was time wasting. The others whilst i don’t recall (not doing a wenger) I’ll give you - I still don’t like it 

Edited by Buckshawlatic

Didn't have much luck tonight, you get those games now and again  though.

No one played badly, with Dummigan, Fane and Gerrard the stand outs for me

Not sure what's happening with Byrne, legs seem to have gone again in the 2nd half. 

Is he trying to do too much and running out of steam?

Don't know why he has to take every set piece either.

A good  player no doubt about it, but perhaps he needs to pace his game better - which may come with experience.

Edited by BP1960

4 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

I could be wrong but thought it was for dangerous play by the way he jumped in, someone else said it was for mouthing off but considering how long Gerrard was down for doubt it was time wasting. The others whilst i don’t recall (not doing a wenger) I’ll give you - I still don’t like it 

He was booked for complaining to the ref that the Rochdale player was backing in deliberately. 

1 minute ago, opinions4u said:

Is it still a free kick and red card for a keeper handling outside his area?

Would say only a red card if it prevented a goal scoring opportunity. If he did handle tonight (unclear from main stand) I don’t think it would have been classed as that. Free kick and yellow card though. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

I thought Drumingham was outstanding tonight, he really attacks with intent, as a back 4 we were solid although they rarely troubled us.

I thought Dummigan was too?

He seems to have decided that if no one is going to offer him cover from midfield he will play in the oppo half instead to keep them occupied.

interestingly  although I admired Wellens intent at the time I think bringing duffus on and switching to a back three was an error as it deprived us of Dummigans width. When he went shit or bust at the end and overlapped anyway we nearly scored.

6 minutes ago, astottie said:

I thought Dummigan was too?

He seems to have decided that if no one is going to offer him cover from midfield he will play in the oppo half instead to keep them occupied.

interestingly  although I admired Wellens intent at the time I think bringing duffus on and switching to a back three was an error as it deprived us of Dummigans width. When he went shit or bust at the end and overlapped anyway we nearly scored.

Duffus looks way off the pace at the moment, which is not surprising after all he's gone through.

We were having success on the left flank and I thought Menig might have come on the right wing like last Saturday.

Edited by BP1960