Wimbledon (H)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, bozman said:

As frustrating as it was not to win tonight, I don't have any complaints about the performance. I thought we played better than on Saturday.

If that Eoin Doyle fella could finish we'd have won by 3 or 4 :D

Smart move. All the scouts come down tonight after seeing his worldy on Saturday, then leave figuring it was a fluke. Abdallah signs him in Jan. 

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Steady on. All keepers do it, and Ripley was a regular culprit last season. It's up to referees to negate it by cards and by adding time on to compensate.

Bollocks, this prick was wasting time from the kick off

56 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Smart move. All the scouts come down tonight after seeing his worldy on Saturday, then leave figuring it was a fluke. Abdallah signs him in Jan. 

We should make a highlight reel of all the chances Doyle missed tonight and pass it on to every other club that may be interested in him. The tell Preston he is a joke of a player, totally worthless,  and we will do them a favour and offer $500  for him only because one of our season ticket holders sees a future in him corner pole dancing for the ladies entertainment industry.

Very frustrating night, they came for a point and got one, we played some decent stuff and created enough chances to have won the game, but some very poor finishing cost us.

Jack Byrne was excellent again and as usual pulled all the strings and ran the show.

Also thought the referee was poor and very fussy.

9 hours ago, super_blue said:

Would say only a red card if it prevented a goal scoring opportunity. If he did handle tonight (unclear from main stand) I don’t think it would have been classed as that. Free kick and yellow card though. 

Was sat right on the line and it was definitely outside. Looked a couple of foot outside. 

1 hour ago, Hometownclub said:

Very frustrating night, they came for a point and got one, we played some decent stuff and created enough chances to have won the game, but some very poor finishing cost us.

Jack Byrne was excellent again and as usual pulled all the strings and ran the show.

Also thought the referee was poor and very fussy.

Disagree on Byrne. For the first 20 he was excellent with his cross field ball. But once they stopped coming off his performance faded. Thought he should of beem brought off for Menig as Nepo was performing much better.

Edited by welshgaz

Bit harsh on Gerrard because he's not put a foot wrong defensively but my feeling is Clarke offers more overall in both boxes, Gerrard just doesn't seem to have a goal in him whereas Clarke has history in bagging important ones, there's no doubt Gerrard is making the best of his chance though and it's good to see.

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Didn't have much luck tonight, you get those games now and again  though.

No one played badly, with Dummigan, Fane and Gerrard the stand outs for me

Not sure what's happening with Byrne, legs seem to have gone again in the 2nd half. 

Is he trying to do too much and running out of steam?

Don't know why he has to take every set piece either.

A good  player no doubt about it, but perhaps he needs to pace his game better - which may come with experience.

I was wondering if anyonelse was going to notice this re Byrne trying to do too much.

He was popping up everywhere taking the ball off people but he doesnt need to take the ball off the centre backs toes and when we had the ball on the left hand side he was coming short for passes he doesnt need to be there we have players on that side of the pitch who should be showing. 

Its good that he wants to get on the ball and make himself available for passes but essentially he is playing right midfield and perhaps we should just instruct him to stay on the right half of the pitch abit more and when the ball heads to the left hand side just to trust his teammates be patient and wait for the play to come his way.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I thought Byrne was excellent first half and really made us tick.

2nd half Wimbledon kept him off the ball for the majority by being far more physical and he couldn't get on the ball in the positions he had 1st half.

I was surprised he was MOM to be honest though as he did look tired and despite having one great effort just wide 2nd half I thought he was anonymous for spells.

I think some are now expecting too of much from Byrne, our whole game revolves around him, he shows for the ball, hardly misses a pass and has excellent control, he even nearly got the winner going just wide of the post. If we lose him in January then without a similar quality replacement hope of a top 6 place will disappear and we'll do well to get to mid table - yes, I think he's that important to us. Great football to watch just now with everyone buying into the short quick passing and plenty of movement. Wimbledon reminded me a bit of how we've played in the past, woeful and no ambition.

Edited by Stainrod

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Didn't have much luck tonight, you get those games now and again  though.

No one played badly, with Dummigan, Fane and Gerrard the stand outs for me

Not sure what's happening with Byrne, legs seem to have gone again in the 2nd half. 

Is he trying to do too much and running out of steam?

Don't know why he has to take every set piece either.

A good  player no doubt about it, but perhaps he needs to pace his game better - which may come with experience.

Was saying to my dad Nepo should try taking some of the set pieces, especially Corners on the Right side, the lad can whip a ball in

2 hours ago, watty123 said:

Was sat right on the line and it was definitely outside. Looked a couple of foot outside. 

It's truly unbelievable how I can see it having never been anywhere near a referees or linesmans course, being knackered after a bad nights sleep a hard days work and having had 3 pints but neither of those two pricks could....

And this thing many refs now do where they get a booking in in injury time to boost their numbers up knowing it'll now have zero impact on the game seriously needs nipping in the bud. 

You've got to question the honesty (which I'd like to think is important for referees) of people who would do something so blatant to manipulate their stats...  

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Is Gerrard doing a better job than clarke at keeping us solid at the back ? 

I'd say so. 

He looks right back to being the very good player we'd seen previously now. Hard to see him giving his place up. 

I can't see Clarke being too happy about it though.

As professional as you'd imagine he'd be he'll also want to be playing regularly in what might be his last season. 

His high level of fitness might drop away very quickly at his age if he's not playing every game and he might never get it back... 

On the other hand he might now do a Lockwood and just come in and be immense every time he's called upon....

16 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'd say so. 

He looks right back to being the very good player we'd seen previously now. Hard to see him giving his place up. 

As professional as you'd imagine he'd be he'll also want to be playing regularly in what might be his last season. 

His high level of fitness might drop away very quickly at his age if he's not playing every game and he might never get it back... 

On the other hand he might now do a Lockwood and just come in and be immense every time he's called upon....

I know he was only on for 5 minutes on Saturday but he couldn't wait to get on and obviously loved it. if we have one of him or Gerrard fit and firing at any given time and Bryan keeps playing and learning as he is then i will be happy and trust Wellens to pick the right combo. He has done alright so far and i think to drop both Clarke and Gerrard so soon into his management career speaks volumes for him.

18 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'd say so. 

I'd hope the little break will be as good for Clarke as it has been for Gerrard.

Keeping them both fresh would seem the best plan.

Agree with what you say, we can't really afford them out too long, as their levels might drop off quite fast.

1 hour ago, aaronoafc said:

Was saying to my dad Nepo should try taking some of the set pieces, especially Corners on the Right side, the lad can whip a ball in

I really like the lad. He's not a full back as we saw but he's very direct and effective at LW. Looked like he fancied a goal last night as well