Blackpool (H)

37 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why are you banging your head against a brick wall for a little while longer? Strange comment. 

We disagree. That’s all. 

Funny how the embargo didnt didn’t stop us ‘signing’ 5

midfielders in Jan. Priorities? Mills would have been excellent, but why put all your eggs in one basket? A bit naive- which is allowed- as long as he learns. 

I appreciate he’s young, and any rookie manger will make mistakes, but we are allowed to highlight those mistakes and look at wether he’s getting the best out of the squad- without it being a witch hunt. 

I hope he keeps us up, and as an earlier poster said he would done then to at least have another crack next year. 

I said registering, not signing. How many games did they miss in January due to not being able to play them. Was a few. And how many of those were new players? 3 of them were ones Shez brought in and the easiest we could secure having played here for months already. Moimbe is obviously one of AL's lads (see Wellens comments when he Moimbe arrived.) McEleney is the only fresh signing of Wellens (EDIT: Forgot about Benteke, but he is one for the future not for this season). The others have been been mend and make do. Wellens should be being applauded for dragging us through this season not getting the crap thrown at him that he is by folk.

Edited by boundaryblue80

6 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I said registering, not signing. How many games did they miss in January due to not being able to play them. Was a few. And how many of those were new players? 3 of them were ones Shez brought in and the easiest we could secure having played here for months already. Moimbe is obviously one of AL's lads (see Wellens comments when he Moimbe arrived.) McEleney is the only fresh signing of Wellens (EDIT: Forgot about Benteke, but he is one for the future not for this season). The others have been been mend and make do. Wellens should be being applauded for dragging us through this season not getting the crap thrown at him that he is.

You make it sound like we should be grateful?? Like he’s ‘dragged’ us out of administration or some other dire situation.  He’s very lucky to be in the job in the first place. A fact he acknowledged himself, when he got the job.

What crap is he getting thrown at him? Can we not look at our defensive record, without it being a conspiracy? 

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

"Got a belting squad of players" - Really? Do all belting squad of players have 1 recognised, experienced CB of which can't get on a pitch at the moment. The squad hasn't had a defence all season.

"We’re probably as close as ever to relegation" - Really? No, actually, you're right...as close as ever. Closer than when we were rock bottom last season and 8pts from getting out of the relegation zone. We are closer than that :chubb:

"he certainly doesn’t appear to fully know what he’s doing" - Really? I wonder why that might be? Oh...that's right...coz he's in his managerial nappy. 

Clarke and Gerrard both recognised, experienced CB’s. He chose to loan one out to a relegation rival.

Were we 8pts adrift at this time last year? No, we weren’t. 

I don’t give a flying fook if he’s in his managerial nappy or not, he still doesn’t know what formation to play to get the best out of these players.

You need to calm down and just debate in a manner that won’t give you high blood pressure.

43 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You make it sound like we should be grateful?? Like he’s ‘dragged’ us out of administration or some other dire situation.  He’s very lucky to be in the job in the first place. A fact he acknowledged himself, when he got the job.

What crap is he getting thrown at him? Can we not look at our defensive record, without it being a conspiracy? 

He is lucky coz AL wanted his own man

We were being run very much like a club in administration

The defensive record was inherited. Said club under embargo struggled to attract players to resolve said situation.

Crap he's getting thrown at him? Some folk want him out of the club. Maybe not you, but there are others.

I am very grateful for his efforts so far. More should be.

8 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Clarke and Gerrard both recognised, experienced CB’s. He chose to loan one out to a relegation rival.

Were we 8pts adrift at this time last year? No, we weren’t. 

I don’t give a flying fook if he’s in his managerial nappy or not, he still doesn’t know what formation to play to get the best out of these players.

You need to calm down and just debate in a manner that won’t give you high blood pressure.

This time last year???? Who said owt about this time last year. Awwww....you're picking and choosing your dates now. You said as close to relegation as ever. You're talking utter bollocks. Being 8pts adrift like last season would be "being as close to relegation as ever" Check the table...we aren't even in relegation :chubb:

Edited by boundaryblue80
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

"We’re probably as close as ever to relegation" - Really? No, actually, you're right...as close as ever. Closer than when we were rock bottom last season and 8pts from getting out of the relegation zone. We are closer than that :chubb:

14 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

This time last year???? Who said owt about this time last year. Awwww....you're picking and choosing your dates now. You said as close to relegation as ever. You're talking utter bollocks. Being 8pts adrift like last season would be "being as close to relegation as ever" Check the table...we aren't even in relegation :chubb:

You did....?

We weren’t 8 points adrift at this point last year. Shezzurection was well under way.

Because you don’t agree with an opinion it’s utter bollocks? 

What makes me laugh the most about these arguments were posters are happy for Wellen's to get potted and are not willing to give any leeway for the circumstances or the conditions he has been working under are highly likely the first ones who screamed for him to get the job after a wining run and are the first to cry when we have a brand new squad because the club aren't creating any consistency from year to year.

They were the first to say Clarke was done but now use loaning him out as stick to beat RW with. We have a potentially decent squad that needs additions. We potentially have a good manager who is learning and who most likely does know his best team and formation, due to circumstances he cant play it. injuries, fitness etc

We have a shit pitch, no training facilities from one day to the next, we didn't pay players for most of the season on time and a takeover was hanging in the air for months and his assistant fucked off within a month because of all this but hey...he knew all this when he took the job didn't he? :blink:

Edited by palmer1

40 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

He is lucky coz AL wanted his own man

We were being run very much like a club in administration

The defensive record was inherited. Said club under embargo struggled to attract players to resolve said situation.

Crap he's getting thrown at him? Some folk want him out of the club. Maybe not you, but there are others.

I am very grateful for his efforts so far. More should be.

Do you think AL didn’t get a say in his appointment??? The reason shez left was because AL was bringing players in. 

He WERE being run like a side in administration by Corney.  RW has only known AL, the takeover, and the dying embers of Corney. Moreover you could argue that under Corney - Dickov, Johnson, Kelly, Dunn, Shez, had more upheaval, stress, lack of support, PR own goals than Richie ever has. In fact he’s got the job at a very fortuitous time. 

He did inherit a struggling a side, and that was defensively poor.  But when does he start taking responsibility for results? 

We can argue about Jan till we’re blue in the face. I’m not inside the club, and I know im minority here-   but I don’t have any sources at the club. All I know is we were short defensively, maybe there’s collective blame. 

The fact is under him, we have struggled badly defensively. We can’t blame injuries- because every club gets them- we are light at centre half but we know why. Are our tactics right? Are they getting good protection? Does Wellens have the nous to work defensively? Or does he need help in the summer? 

I don’t think I’ve once said I want Wellens out?

I just want him to take responsibility for how poor we are as a team when we actually have a good squad of players.

If a manager like Grayson with a proven track record of winning promotion from this division became available, I’d want us to go for him. HOWEVER, I wouldn’t want us to give him the boot for someone who wouldn’t take us forward quickly.

10 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

What makes me laugh the most about these arguments were posters are happy for Wellen's to get potted and are not willing to give any leeway for the circumstances or the conditions he has been working under are highly likely the first ones who screamed for him to get the job after a wining run and are the first to cry when we have a brand new squad because the club aren't creating any consistency from year to year.

They were the first to say Clarke was done but now use loaning him out as stick to beat RW with. We have a potentially decent squad that needs additions. We potentially have a good manager who is learning and who most likely does know his best team and formation, due to circumstances he cant play it. injuries, fitness etc

We have a shit pitch, no training facilities from one day to the next, we didn't pay players for most of the season on time and a takeover was hanging in the air for months and his assistant fucked off within a month because of all this but hey...he knew all this when he took the job didn't he? :blink:

How do you know all this about our fan base? Or are you generalising? 

You throw things in at the end there, shit pitch/no training facilities- you telling me he walked down to chapel road after working there for three months and said wtf is this? 

The takeover was hanging in the air? He’s not getting divorced or had a bereavement. 

Jewell. . . I’ll give you. 

Why do we over dramatise what’s he’s ‘going through’  ‘put up with’ ‘had to deal with’ is the job difficult sometimes- Yeah, I’m sure it is. But what league one job isn’t?  

Meanwhile, as the title said, Blackpool (H):

For some reason, God knows how, i managed to tune out to the threat of relegation and actually enjoy the game as a game of football between my team and their team. Perhaps it was the sobering thought of needing to be up for work 3 hours after the game ended, but i thoroughly enjoyed it. 

It took me back 50 years to the days when i first started watching where i was completely naive to the dreaded drop or the excitement of going up.

It was a game of blood and guts third division football. As i commented at half time, a proper game.

I have missed those games.

8 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

I just want him to take responsibility for how poor we are as a team when we actually have a good squad of players.

If a manager like Grayson with a proven track record of winning promotion from this division became available, I’d want us to go for him. HOWEVER, I wouldn’t want us to give him the boot for someone who wouldn’t take us forward quickly.

We have a goodish squad probably one that probably would/should be a few places higher up but not massively certainly not one that could challenge for the play offs so being where we are now isnt a massive underachievement certainly not one where we should consider replacing the current manager. I doubt Grayson would have this current squad even in the top half.

Its also not just the manager who takes responsibility for the results the players do too.

17 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

That last sentence is where you are wrong, we can’t be taking forward quickly if you want the club to go forward for a long period of time. Yeah a new manager might result in a spike in form, but to progress for a long period, you need consistency. Consistency in both infrastructure and philosophy and that only comes with time, i would rather see gradual progression than an Instant short term spike in form. Changing manager will not lead to progression in my opinion, stick with Wellens if he has a long term plan. 

Edited by LightDN123

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

That last sentence is where you are wrong, we can’t be taking forward quickly if you want the club to go forward for a long period of time. Yeah a new manager might result in a spike in form, but to progress for a long period, you need consistency. Consistency in both infrastructure and philosophy and that only comes with time, if rather see gradual progression than an Instant short term spike in form. Changing manager will not lead to progression in my opinion, stick with Wellens if he has a long term plan. 

I'd be completely ok with a new manager getting a sudden spike of results and hope it keeps going... There's a lot needs fixing at the Club but we don't need to try and be average while we do it.

1 hour ago, oafc_lover said:

You did....?

We weren’t 8 points adrift at this point last year. Shezzurection was well under way.

Because you don’t agree with an opinion it’s utter bollocks? 

Wow...you really are struggling with this lad...

Last year, at one point in the season (you keeping up?) we were 8pts off getting out of relegation....(still with me?) and that is what "as close as ever to relegation" is. Not 2pts out of relegation. Your comment is utter bollocks, yes.

By the way, April 4th 2017...2pts out of relegation...as close as ever eh :rolleyes:

League One table after close of play on 04 April 2017

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Sheffield United 40 24 10 6 76 44 32 82
2 Bolton Wanderers 41 23 10 8 63 34 29 79
3 Fleetwood Town 40 19 12 9 55 37 18 69
4 Bradford City 41 17 18 6 55 39 16 69
5 Scunthorpe United 41 19 10 12 70 51 19 67
6 Southend United 41 18 12 11 63 48 15 66
7 Millwall 41 18 12 11 58 49 9 66
8 Rochdale 41 17 10 14 66 59 7 61
9 Bristol Rovers 41 16 12 13 60 59 1 60
10 Oxford United 40 17 8 15 56 47 9 59
11 Peterborough United 41 16 10 15 57 54 3 58
12 Milton Keynes Dons 41 14 12 15 53 51 2 54
13 AFC Wimbledon 41 13 15 13 52 51 1 54
14 Walsall 40 13 14 13 47 50 -3 53
15 Northampton Town 41 14 9 18 58 64 -6 51
16 Charlton Athletic 41 10 17 14 49 50 -1 47
17 Bury 41 12 10 19 58 69 -11 46
18 Oldham Athletic 41 10 15 16 27 42 -15 45
19 Gillingham 41 11 12 18 53 71 -18 45
20 Port Vale 40 11 12 17 44 62 -18 45
21 Shrewsbury Town 41 11 10 20 42 59 -17 43
22 Swindon Town 41 11 9 21 42 59 -17 42
23 Chesterfield 41 8 10 23 38 66 -28 34
24 Coventry City 40 7 11 22 33 60 -27 32
Edited by boundaryblue80

15 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I'd be completely ok with a new manager getting a sudden spike of results and hope it keeps going... There's a lot needs fixing at the Club but we don't need to try and be average while we do it.

But a sudden spike and a fall back to how it is now ? Resulting in another change of manager and  the cycle continues ? We need consistency, and now is the best time for it 

Edited by LightDN123

20 hours ago, oafc_lover said:

Really?

Got a belting squad of players and with only 8 games left he still doesnt seem to know what formation to use to get the best out of them.

We’re probably as close as ever to relegation and until Byrne came on and sparked something we looked to be lacking any fight to turn things around.

Not saying get rid but he certainly doesn’t appear to fully know what he’s doing, despite a few good performances in his honeymoon period.

yes, this is more or less how I feel but will be right behind the boys and RW at Oxford on Saturday

14 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

But a sudden spike and a fall back to how it is now ? Resulting in another change of manager and  the cycle continues ? We need consistency, and now is the best time for it 

I'd have as much confidence in us going rubbish after an average spell as after an amazing run! If it raises the average I'll take it. Obviously our hand to mouth existence must have made it hard to see beyond the next month or end of season though 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

How do you know all this about our fan base? Or are you generalising? 

How do I know what? That the Oldham fans base is fickle?! I read this message board for one.

You throw things in at the end there, shit pitch/no training facilities- you telling me he walked down to chapel road after working there for three months and said wtf is this? 

I'm telling you that it wasn't flooded at any point he worked under Shez and these issue came about as the year went on which no previous Oldham manager has had to put up with this to the same extent. Chasing places to train from one day to the next not being able to prepare properly for matches.

The takeover was hanging in the air? He’s not getting divorced or had a bereavement. 

He could not bring in or register any new players for nearly the whole of January which were needed. His one and only transfer window s a new manager up to this point

Jewell. . . I’ll give you. 

Thanks!!! You'll give me Jewell quitting for all the above reasons but  RW has to put up with it right? no excuses for him!

Why do we over dramatise what’s he’s ‘going through’  ‘put up with’ ‘had to deal with’ is the job difficult sometimes- Yeah, I’m sure it is. But what league one job isn’t?  

The job is difficult but please name me one other manager who has had to put up with the stuff going on at Boundary Park anywhere else this season or in their first ever year as manager.

Edited by palmer1