Blackpool (H)

14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Sooooo...... a selection of comments posted before the match and at half time. 

Anyone who who went to the game today will realise how well Fane played today and how important he is to the balance of the side. Byrne was dropped and rightly so as it gave him the kick up the backside he clearly needed. He is still young and obviously cares. He made the difference when he came on.  The comments I reposted above make interesting reading. ? 

Sad too that some resort to vile personal abuse 

A good performance today and a much needed victory. 

Totally disagree, he does his job of tackling and winning the ball back, but he can’t pass, and can’t shoot. He’s a very limited footballer and we need to improve on him. He didn’t play exceptionally well and offers nothing with the ball. I do like what he does but he’s just not good enough all round. 

15 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Thought first half was poor. McEleney non- existant, marked nobody and had hunt marking two when we were defending. Showed glimses of quality in his delivery but way off the pace. 

Nazon wasn’t on it and doesn’t seem to link up well with Doyle. 

Edmundson was superb today no nonsense and did really well against Vasell who is a big lad.  

Byrne finally played in his correct position and oozed class every time he got the ball. Amazing what happens when they are played in the right position! 

Gardner not will to put a tackle in and always looks finished come 60 mins. Gave the ball away so much second half. Looked a lot more comfortable in a midfield 3. 

Fane is talked about so much in a negative light yet people don’t realise you take him out and they would have walked through our midfield today. All he is there to do is break the play up and what he is does I would say he is one of the better ones at doing it in the league. No he isn’t great on the ball but the ground he covers and the tackles he makes are massive. Gardner is scared of a tackle, Byrne isn’t that sort of player and neither is Pringle. Don’t know who people are expecting to do the dirty work in the middle without him. 

Spot on.

16 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

Was that the game that we took an early lead in and then proceeded to park the bus? Although Robinson was in charge so I think we parked the bus at kickoff. Oxford battered us from then onwards IIRC. We beat them at BP at this point last season though.

Yeh

We scored first and they equalised with a great shot from 20 yards into the top corner.We played with 10 after Fane gpt booked twice for tackles.

18 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Thought first half was poor. McEleney non- existant, marked nobody and had hunt marking two when we were defending. Showed glimses of quality in his delivery but way off the pace. 

Nazon wasn’t on it and doesn’t seem to link up well with Doyle. 

Edmundson was superb today no nonsense and did really well against Vasell who is a big lad.  

Byrne finally played in his correct position and oozed class every time he got the ball. Amazing what happens when they are played in the right position! 

Gardner not will to put a tackle in and always looks finished come 60 mins. Gave the ball away so much second half. Looked a lot more comfortable in a midfield 3. 

Fane is talked about so much in a negative light yet people don’t realise you take him out and they would have walked through our midfield today. All he is there to do is break the play up and what he is does I would say he is one of the better ones at doing it in the league. No he isn’t great on the ball but the ground he covers and the tackles he makes are massive. Gardner is scared of a tackle, Byrne isn’t that sort of player and neither is Pringle. Don’t know who people are expecting to do the dirty work in the middle without him. 

The bit in bold is out main problem. Gardner is usually alright on the ball, but cant get stuck in. Fane is decent at getting stuck in and breaking up play, but he literally struggles with kicking the ball. We have 2 players playing in central midfield doing the job of one half decent holding midfield player. If we had a semi decent holding midfielder we could play Byrne in the middle, and then pick an actual right sided midfield player who would give the team some balance and width, and might actually give the right back some protection.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dave_ragg1984 said:

The bit in bold is out main problem. Gardner is usually alright on the ball, but cant get stuck in. Fane is decent at getting stuck in and breaking up play, but he literally struggles with kicking the ball. We have 2 players playing in central midfield doing the job of one half decent holding midfield player. If we had a semi decent holding midfielder we could play Byrne in the middle, and then pick an actual right sided midfield player who would give the team some balance and width, and might actually give the right back some protection.

Spot on ?

20 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Totally disagree, he does his job of tackling and winning the ball back, but he can’t pass, and can’t shoot. He’s a very limited footballer and we need to improve on him. He didn’t play exceptionally well and offers nothing with the ball. I do like what he does but he’s just not good enough all round. 

It’s your prerogative to disagree but I thought he was pretty effective today. Wellens obviously sees it as I and others do, namely that in our current squad he is vital to our team play. 

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It’s your prerogative to disagree but I thought he was pretty effective today. Wellens obviously sees it as I and others do, namely that in our current squad he is vital to our team play. 

I do like him and he always puts in 100% and I admire that, he’s just very limited and as you say in the current relegation scrap he’s a useful player, but to take the club forward he shouldn’t be starting games 

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I do like him and he always puts in 100% and I admire that, he’s just very limited and as you say in the current relegation scrap he’s a useful player, but to take the club forward he shouldn’t be starting games 

So if he shouldn’t be starting who would you be playing in his place? 

Edited by adamoafc

32 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Yeh

We scored first and they equalised with a great shot from 20 yards into the top corner.We played with 10 after Fane gpt booked twice for tackles.

Thought it was. We haven’t won there since 2001, a last gasp David Eyres freekick clinched a 1-0 win at the Manor Ground. Although last season was the first time we’ve played them in the league for 15 years.

41 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Spearing would fit that bill I suppose. What Fane brings though is pressing and lots of ground covered. I'd always play 3 in central midfield anyway which gets the best out of the 3 of them.

What formation would that be in then? 

Pressing and lots of ground covered? So running? Think we could find someone cheaper at the London Marathon later this month. Possibly one who doesn't struggle with kicking the ball or has some modicum of a football brain. 

There were times in the game where despite a relatively simple pass to Fane being on our players opted for a complex ball that usually failed.  There's a reason for that and until our fans actually see it we won't get promoted. 

2 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

What formation would that be in then? 

Pressing and lots of ground covered? So running? Think we could find someone cheaper at the London Marathon later this month. Possibly one who doesn't struggle with kicking the ball or has some modicum of a football brain. 

There were times in the game where despite a relatively simple pass to Fane being on our players opted for a complex ball that usually failed.  There's a reason for that and until our fans actually see it we won't get promoted. 

3-5-2, 4-2-3-1 just not 4-4-2.

We improved with a central midfield 3 today. That's a fact. 

Edited by welshgaz

15 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

Don't think decisions by Wellens turned it round.  We won in spite of them.  Starting line up was dire.

Oh dear all these down-boats because I don't subscribe to the Wellens 'love in.'

This guy has been getting it wrong for weeks, according to many on this site, and because he's forced, by circumstance, to play Byrn in his best position suddenly he's the messiah. 

Edited by frizzell54

17 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

Oh dear all these down-boats because I don't subscribe to the Wellens 'love in.'

This guy has been getting it wrong for weeks, according to many on this site, and because he's forced, by circumstance, to play Byrn in his best position suddenly he's the messiah. 

What circumstance was it that forced him?

Just now, Dave_Og said:

What circumstance was it that forced him?

They were losing and had resorted to hoofing it.  He had to do something, fortunately it was a good call - playing your best player in his best position.  Certainly an improvement on his efforts over the las few weeks.

First half we lumped balls up to two strikers who were not winning headers. The only joy we got was when the ball landed to Mcleneny or one of the full backs and we got balls across the box to Doyle. Otherwise we were completely clueless. It only takes an average performance from Jay Spearing to see that he does what Fane and Gardner both do. Fane only tackles half the time cos he hasnt read the game properly and is recovering his position. He is the best out of what we have, that doesnt make him any good. Id be offloading him and getting a competent league 1 footballer in in the summer in place. It is a sign that we have been resigned to League 1 relegation battles for years that people think Gardner and Fane are actually good players.

The best football we have played this year is when Byrne was allowed to play the free role behind Doyle. And once again on Saturday that dragged us out the shit. 

22 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

They were losing and had resorted to hoofing it.  He had to do something, fortunately it was a good call - playing your best player in his best position.  Certainly an improvement on his efforts over the las few weeks.

That's not forced, that's decided.  Belatedly or otherwise. 

14 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Wins a win.

Byrnes attitude fucking stinks, I know he will feel aggrieved because he is being asked to do something he doesn't want to at times but his lack of respect and more importantly professionalism is a sad sight, talent is unquestionable but its not difficult to see why many a manager won't entertain him.

I’d prefer his attitude to Danny Philliskirks... “I’ll play anywhere gaffer, put me right back, put me right mid, put me striker and I’m happy” because that got us sweet fa. 

He came on today fired up and fuming he had been dropped, changed the game. 

Although, it’s a travesty that it’s took Wellens 6 weeks to change to a 4-2-3-1 formation when we’ve been so lacklustre in the previous shape for so long.

Been said previously, but playing Byrne right midfield is absolutely criminal and it’s took him weeks to change shape, signs of bad managing but I’m willing to give him chance he’s definitely still learning 

Much needed win and I think we’ll be just OK now. Happy days.

20 minutes ago, MAC0AFC said:

Although, it’s a travesty that it’s took Wellens 6 weeks to change to a 4-2-3-1 formation when we’ve been so lacklustre in the previous shape for so long.

The 442 brigade wouldn’t have allowed it. Probably still won’t. 

• Like 1

I'd have said the formation was more 451 in the second half but whatever it was it was much needed. The first half it was just too busy in the middle of the park, we needed to stretch the play a bit more as that gives your cms more space. We weren't necessarily poor in the first half and probably should have gone in to the break at least level. We just needed that little bit of class byrne brings....

I have a few observations......

Fane: Shouldn’t really be getting anywhere near our team but unfortunately we don’t have anyone else prepared to do the tackling and the dirty work for the more talented midfield players. Must look for an improvement next season if we stay up.

Byrne: Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s gone by the end of next season. His attitude appears to be very poor especially if things don’t go his way. If he misplaces a pass he usually blames his teammate for not being there.

At Wigan he went missing - granted he wasn’t on his own there, but it showed him up as not being as good as he probably thinks he is.

Its all very good coming on as a sub and being angry. He made a big positive impact when he came on, but he has to think about why he was dropped in the first place.

I’m not a Man Utd fan, far from it, but I don’t remember the likes of Roy Keane and Paul Scholes being dropped very often.

They seemed to have the right attitude week in and week out.

Byrne looks like he tests any managers’ patience and previous managers have got rid. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wellens does the same ultimately, if he feels he can’t trust him.

Pringle: Can anyone tell me what he brings to the team because I just can’t see it.

3 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Byrne looks like he tests any managers’ patience and previous managers have got rid. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wellens does the same ultimately, if he feels he can’t trust him.

From what I have heard, Wellens will be gone well before Byrne...