Blackpool (H)

17 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Wow...you really are struggling with this lad...

Last year, at one point in the season (you keeping up?) we were 8pts off getting out of relegation....(still with me?) and that is what "as close as ever to relegation" is. Not 2pts out of relegation. You comment is utter bollocks, yes.

By the way, April 4th 2017...2pts out of relegation...as close as ever eh :rolleyes:

League One table after close of play on 04 April 2017

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Sheffield United 40 24 10 6 76 44 32 82
2 Bolton Wanderers 41 23 10 8 63 34 29 79
3 Fleetwood Town 40 19 12 9 55 37 18 69
4 Bradford City 41 17 18 6 55 39 16 69
5 Scunthorpe United 41 19 10 12 70 51 19 67
6 Southend United 41 18 12 11 63 48 15 66
7 Millwall 41 18 12 11 58 49 9 66
8 Rochdale 41 17 10 14 66 59 7 61
9 Bristol Rovers 41 16 12 13 60 59 1 60
10 Oxford United 40 17 8 15 56 47 9 59
11 Peterborough United 41 16 10 15 57 54 3 58
12 Milton Keynes Dons 41 14 12 15 53 51 2 54
13 AFC Wimbledon 41 13 15 13 52 51 1 54
14 Walsall 40 13 14 13 47 50 -3 53
15 Northampton Town 41 14 9 18 58 64 -6 51
16 Charlton Athletic 41 10 17 14 49 50 -1 47
17 Bury 41 12 10 19 58 69 -11 46
18 Oldham Athletic 41 10 15 16 27 42 -15 45
19 Gillingham 41 11 12 18 53 71 -18 45
20 Port Vale 40 11 12 17 44 62 -18 45
21 Shrewsbury Town 41 11 10 20 42 59 -17 43
22 Swindon Town 41 11 9 21 42 59 -17 42
23 Chesterfield 41 8 10 23 38 66 -28 34
24 Coventry City 40 7 11 22 33 60 -27 32

Can’t quite understand why you need to be using the tone you are. It doesn’t make you look any smarter. But if it makes you feel better about yourself then fair enough.

Anyway, your league table from last season just confirms what I’ve said. We’re as close as ever to relegation than we’ve ever been. Being lower in the league earlier in the season doesn’t mean you’re any closer to relegation because there are more games to play to get out of it.

Not sure if you’re keeping up or not but frankly I couldn’t care less.

40 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Wow...you really are struggling with this lad...

Last year, at one point in the season (you keeping up?) we were 8pts off getting out of relegation....(still with me?) and that is what "as close as ever to relegation" is. Not 2pts out of relegation. Your comment is utter bollocks, yes.

By the way, April 4th 2017...2pts out of relegation...as close as ever eh :rolleyes:

League One table after close of play on 04 April 2017

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Sheffield United 40 24 10 6 76 44 32 82
2 Bolton Wanderers 41 23 10 8 63 34 29 79
3 Fleetwood Town 40 19 12 9 55 37 18 69
4 Bradford City 41 17 18 6 55 39 16 69
5 Scunthorpe United 41 19 10 12 70 51 19 67
6 Southend United 41 18 12 11 63 48 15 66
7 Millwall 41 18 12 11 58 49 9 66
8 Rochdale 41 17 10 14 66 59 7 61
9 Bristol Rovers 41 16 12 13 60 59 1 60
10 Oxford United 40 17 8 15 56 47 9 59
11 Peterborough United 41 16 10 15 57 54 3 58
12 Milton Keynes Dons 41 14 12 15 53 51 2 54
13 AFC Wimbledon 41 13 15 13 52 51 1 54
14 Walsall 40 13 14 13 47 50 -3 53
15 Northampton Town 41 14 9 18 58 64 -6 51
16 Charlton Athletic 41 10 17 14 49 50 -1 47
17 Bury 41 12 10 19 58 69 -11 46
18 Oldham Athletic 41 10 15 16 27 42 -15 45
19 Gillingham 41 11 12 18 53 71 -18 45
20 Port Vale 40 11 12 17 44 62 -18 45
21 Shrewsbury Town 41 11 10 20 42 59 -17 43
22 Swindon Town 41 11 9 21 42 59 -17 42
23 Chesterfield 41 8 10 23 38 66 -28 34
24 Coventry City 40 7 11 22 33 60 -27 32

Yes we had played 41 games and got 45 points. This year we have played 38 games and got 43 points. So not as bad as most people are making out. We should get more than two points from the 3 games in hand. Every game now will be like a cup tie until the end of the season

21 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Glad I've stayed off the messageboards over Easter. I detect a hell of a lot of shit about the manager has been spouted...but massive thumbs up to Smiler for this post. I remember the days when Shez was a young manager and the general consensus was that being a rookie he needed 2 or 3 seasons. Dickov got similar good-will until it ran out for some. 

Fuck me...this has been one of the most ridiculous seasons starting with having no keeper 24hrs before the opening game and has seen all sorts of shit and curveballs thrown at the management team including having a bog for a training pitch for most of the season. It's a miracle we're not in Bury's position given the start we had and what's happened since. I have the odd gripe here and there over Wellens but any reasonably minded fan would put that down to naivety and the situations we've endured this season. He's finding his feet and doing a decent job while do so. With Adballahs support, next season (provided we keep winning this relegation battle) he will be looking a moving us up to the next level which realistically should be top 10 while nibbling at the playoffs.

Sadly, some cunts want Rome built in a day. Let's get back to remembering how we all felt in Shez's 1st season after Ronnie and accept mistakes will happen but that given a chance, progression can too.

Well put boundary blue 80

2 hours ago, oafc_lover said:

You did....?

We weren’t 8 points adrift at this point last year. Shezzurection was well under way.

Because you don’t agree with an opinion it’s utter bollocks? 

Generally, when someone doesn’t agree with an opinion is when they’d call it utter bollocks.

Just now, dave_ragg1984 said:

Generally, when someone doesn’t agree with an opinion is when they’d call it utter bollocks.

Generally it isn’t. If you are a bit of an arse hole then maybe, but thankfully the majority on this board aren’t.

52 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Generally it isn’t. If you are a bit of an arse hole then maybe, but thankfully the majority on this board aren’t.

I don’t know anyone who has ever said an opinion that they agree with is utter bollocks. Seriously, you only say it about opinions you disagree with.

1 hour ago, Smiler13 said:

Yes we had played 41 games and got 45 points. This year we have played 38 games and got 43 points. So not as bad as most people are making out. We should get more than two points from the 3 games in hand. Every game now will be leike a cup tie until the end of the season

Looking at that could we do a Shrewsbury next season? 

1 hour ago, Smiler13 said:

Yes we had played 41 games and got 45 points. This year we have played 38 games and got 43 points. So not as bad as most people are making out. We should get more than two points from the 3 games in hand. Every game now will be like a cup tie until the end of the season

Looking at last year's table could we do a Shrewsbury next season? 

3 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

We've conceded 66 goals this season. An embarrassing stat and that's what we have to sort out for next season. In fact it needs sorting before Saturday.

Scoring just 31 goals last season was much more offensive.

Oldham have always conceded goals and lots of them, it is the Oldham way.

6 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

I said registering, not signing. How many games did they miss in January due to not being able to play them. Was a few. And how many of those were new players? 3 of them were ones Shez brought in and the easiest we could secure having played here for months already. Moimbe is obviously one of AL's lads (see Wellens comments when he Moimbe arrived.) McEleney is the only fresh signing of Wellens (EDIT: Forgot about Benteke, but he is one for the future not for this season). The others have been been mend and make do. Wellens should be being applauded for dragging us through this season not getting the crap thrown at him that he is by folk.

3 of shez signings that have givin us a chance of staying up! Unlike the shower that wellens brought in Pringle to name one ! Wellens has had it easy compared to most mangers, same pitch, same training pitch, shez had embargo’s, Robinson signed all his players with two weeks till the season kicked off. 

33 minutes ago, latics22 said:

3 of shez signings that have givin us a chance of staying up! Unlike the shower that wellens brought in Pringle to name one ! Wellens has had it easy compared to most mangers, same pitch, same training pitch, shez had embargo’s, Robinson signed all his players with two weeks till the season kicked off. 

Surely Wellens must have played some part in getting those three back to the club after the embargo, which is not taking anything away from Sheridan getting them signed in the first place. I would, for once, like to witness a full season under one manager with his own signings and backing from the owner. Not too much to ask, is it?

Everybody see the GoPro recordings on the official site?
Great angle, albeit a little blocked by the raindrops.

3 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Surely Wellens must have played some part in getting those three back to the club after the embargo, which is not taking anything away from Sheridan getting them signed in the first place. I would, for once, like to witness a full season under one manager with his own signings and backing from the owner. Not too much to ask, is it?

Everybody see the GoPro recordings on the official site?
Great angle, albeit a little blocked by the raindrops.

Where are the go pro vids? Can’t find them. I saw him setting his camera up at Wigan... but pointless there unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

We can live in hope. However I seriously think that if we stay up and keep Wellens we have a good chance. A few things that need sorting over the Summer though. I think we need a good assistant with defensive coaching qualities like Peter Shirtliff. Also we need to sign Doyle on a permanent 3 year contract for stability and another proven goal scorer. Also we need two centre backs, and hopefully keep Mombie on a two year deal. A couple of fast wingers would also be useful. 

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Unlikely but anything is possible.

Looking at the last 2 times we had a change of ownership it took Chris moore 2 seasons to turn a team fighting relegation into a play off team while throwing money at it. It took Corney Blitz and Gazal 3 seasons to do the same thing investing at a more steady rate. So even if Lemsagam makes big waves in transfer market this summer I dont think it will happen next season for that reason but we will see.

If ofcourse we get relegated I demand a title push in league 2.

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Scoring just 31 goals last season was much more offensive.

Oldham have always conceded goals and lots of them, it is the Oldham way.

Absolutely. Defensively we were outstanding last season though. Somewhere in the middle would do me.

Edited by welshgaz

1 hour ago, welshgaz said:

Absolutely. Defensively we were outstanding last season though. Somewhere in the middle would do me.

Agreed. Wouldn’t it be good to concede less AND score goals. . ! You know, like any decent side does. 

At the minute it seems a binary choice. 

Be defensively good, but win a few ugly. Result, finish 18th. 

Be offensively good, but get concede a load. Result, finish 18th.

Surely we can aim higher than 18th. . .  

3 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

We can live in hope. However I seriously think that if we stay up and keep Wellens we have a good chance. A few things that need sorting over the Summer though. I think we need a good assistant with defensive coaching qualities like Peter Shirtliff. Also we need to sign Doyle on a permanent 3 year contract for stability and another proven goal scorer. Also we need two centre backs, and hopefully keep Mombie on a two year deal. A couple of fast wingers would also be useful. 

So your acknowledging we do need tactical/coaching help at the back after all? That’s all I I’ve been trying to say. As good as we are going forward, we are really poor at the back. Our goals against speaks for itself, and it’s why we are where we are. 

I’ll put it another way. When we’ve needed to change a game offensively under RW, he generally makes the right call. Why, because he was an attacking midfielder and that’s his strength.  But how often have we conceded first under Wellens?? Or shipped 2 quickly without a tactical change? 

Like you say, hopefully he gets a shirtliff type in the summer. But again you have to ask, why haven’t the club or RW got psomeone helping him now, or after Jewell left? It’s baffling. 

Can see Richie bringing in 2 new centre halves in the summer. Bryan will get a championship club and got a feeling he’ll want more pace than Gerrard has.

I like Fane but the way I see it, you wouldn’t feel comfortable playing him and Byrne in the middle together but you would play Byrne in a two with Rohan Ince at Bury for example. 

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

So your acknowledging we do need tactical/coaching help at the back after all? That’s all I I’ve been trying to say. As good as we are going forward, we are really poor at the back. Our goals against speaks for itself, and it’s why we are where we are. 

I’ll put it another way. When we’ve needed to change a game offensively under RW, he generally makes the right call. Why, because he was an attacking midfielder and that’s his strength.  But how often have we conceded first under Wellens?? Or shipped 2 quickly without a tactical change? 

Like you say, hopefully he gets a shirtliff type in the summer. But again you have to ask, why haven’t the club or RW got psomeone helping him now, or after Jewell left? It’s baffling. 

We have the wrong defensive duo in central defence at the moment I have always said that. Mat Mills deciding not to come in January was a big miss. Wellens needs help defensively in coaching if you read my previous posts I have always said that and Peter Shirtliff would we the sort of guy that would be a good appointment. Wellens is a young manager who shows promise and with help I think we could have a good manager next season because yes he’s made mistakes and hopefully he should have learned a lot in this very difficult season he’s had to contend with as a first rookie manager. Give the guy a chance and when you think of it in real terms he’s not been manager for the whole season. First 9 games where under Shez. It’s not that baffling. Good defensive coaches are rare on the ground to get at this time of the season. I am sure Wellens knows where he needs help and if he stays I think he has already sorted out his coaching staff for next season.

Edited by Smiler13