Blackpool (H)

I’m not overly arsed if we keep him on or get rid as he’s not done anything different to our last 4 or 5 managers.

Like anything however, it’ll depend on who we replace him with. I don’t want some random foreign manager who’s never played or managed over here and doesn’t understand the league.

If AL is wanting to go down that route I’d much rather us keep RW but give him funds and a good playing surface.

If he’s getting rid then it’s got to be for someone who knows the league and has experience of getting a side out of it OR a big name ex pro that will gave the immediate respect of every player and has big contacts in the game.

Obviously others might have a different slant on it but that’s my two penneth.

49 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

There is a load of bollocks being quoted on this thread. Let’s put some things into perspective. Number one first 9 games under Shez we limped to 5 points. Wellens took over and next 9 games we returned 18 points. Then injuries set in . Also the new take over took forever and over the Christmas/new year period Wellens had to deal with a player embargo. Our best loan players went back to their parent clubs and the team lost confidence. Then after the embargo was lifted we find that Doyle has a blood clot and he is out for at least 13 weeks. Then he looses Rob Hunt with an 8 week injury. The weather has been exceptionally bad and the worst winter for many years. The pitch has suffered and therefore our passing game could not continue on such a bad surface. Matches where postponed due to the weather and international call ups and we have no place to train properly like some other clubs eg Fleetwood/Bury. So we play one week and find the next it’s postponed. Therefore we loose continuity. Now our centre back and captain is injured. Many an experienced manager would have folded completely under all these unforceable circumstances. Wellens has kept going from one crisis to the next and should be applauded for his commitment under such duress and bad luck. For god sake stop asking for him to be replaced. Give the guy our utmost support and if he keeps us up give him a chance to rebuild in the summer and hopefully next year we won’t have as many destabilising elements for him to contend with. Keep going Mr Wellens some of us are behind you. Give the guy a chance and remember he will make mistakes he’s a young manager learning the ropes. For one I think that he’s doing a decent job considering what bad luck he’s had to contend with in his first few months of management. 

You do post some dodgy posts, but this is very well put.

I'm torn at the moment. Mainly for the reasons above and we need some stability. A good example would be John Askey at Macclesfield who had a poor start and ticked along for quite some time. He is learning all the time. But he does seem to have something about him i the good start and the ability to change it at half time, despite us not beeing set up quite right at the start.

Where I am torn is we alone have loads of examples where we tread water and make no progress. Could RW kick us on? Maybe, maybe not. So, if he was replaced, it would not exactly lead to protests outside BP as L1F says.

The danger is obviously someone new and repeat the starting all over again.

49 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Agreed but we have never had a season with as many destabilising elements in it for a long time. Take over, player embargo’s , many key players injured, extreme weather conditions. Christ if top Premier managers had to contend with what Wellens has had to put up with in their first 6 months of management and no proper training facilities due to the weather I am certain they would have also suffered in terms of results. Some supporters on here want bloody miracles. Remember we had an owner who was not prepared to put money into the club. The take over was destabilising. Key players out through serious injury. They need time to get back to full fitness when they return.

He knew the club and it’s situtation and the way it was run when he took job. Having said that he’s probably the most backed manager we’ve had for years. How many of his own signings in Jan?  And not cheap. Injuries are a part of any football club, so that doesn’t wash. You make it sound like he’s had to deal with the club about to go bust. . .i don’t want miracles but I want better than so-so. How many have we conceded in his tenture? 

If we stay up- then it’s job done. Fair play to him. 

But there’s still a very strong case that he should be getting more out of this squad. Not playoffs, but we should be comfortably mid table IMO and we’re not. 

13 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

I’m not overly arsed if we keep him on or get rid as he’s not done anything different to our last 4 or 5 managers.

Like anything however, it’ll depend on who we replace him with. I don’t want some random foreign manager who’s never played or managed over here and doesn’t understand the league.

If AL is wanting to go down that route I’d much rather us keep RW but give him funds and a good playing surface.

If he’s getting rid then it’s got to be for someone who knows the league and has experience of getting a side out of it OR a big name ex pro that will gave the immediate respect of every player and has big contacts in the game.

Obviously others might have a different slant on it but that’s my two penneth.

I'm nearly in agreement with that, except I am happy if they have plenty  experience in other LEagues. A rookie foreign manager would be a backwards step from where we are now, even the likes of Seedorf would make me very nervous depsite his obvious qualities as a player.

2 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

We need some stability at the club. Replacing Wellens would not help and like you say we then start at square one all over again. 

That’s true, we do need stability.

However, I don’t want to be stable but shite. If there’s a better manager out there then I want him.

3 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

However, I don’t want to be stable but shite. If there’s a better manager out there then I want him.

Perhaps you would like Alan Pardew then ?????

I think at this moment in time we should all be behind Wellens and the team especially over the next 8 games. After this depending if we survive in league one It will be then up to AL to decide which way he wants the club to progress, in terms of taking it forward with the manager, assistant, coaches and playing staff. 

2 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

There is a load of bollocks being quoted on this thread. Let’s put some things into perspective. Number one first 9 games under Shez we limped to 5 points. Wellens took over and next 9 games we returned 18 points. Then injuries set in . Also the new take over took forever and over the Christmas/new year period Wellens had to deal with a player embargo. Our best loan players went back to their parent clubs and the team lost confidence. Then after the embargo was lifted we find that Doyle has a blood clot and he is out for at least 13 weeks. Then he looses Rob Hunt with an 8 week injury. The weather has been exceptionally bad and the worst winter for many years. The pitch has suffered and therefore our passing game could not continue on such a bad surface. Matches where postponed due to the weather and international call ups and we have no place to train properly like some other clubs eg Fleetwood/Bury. So we play one week and find the next it’s postponed. Therefore we loose continuity. Now our centre back and captain is injured. Many an experienced manager would have folded completely under all these unforceable circumstances. Wellens has kept going from one crisis to the next and should be applauded for his commitment under such duress and bad luck. For god sake stop asking for him to be replaced. Give the guy our utmost support and if he keeps us up give him a chance to rebuild in the summer and hopefully next year we won’t have as many destabilising elements for him to contend with. Keep going Mr Wellens some of us are behind you. Give the guy a chance and remember he will make mistakes he’s a young manager learning the ropes. For one I think that he’s doing a decent job considering what bad luck he’s had to contend with in his first few months of management. 

Fantastic post. Double upboat.

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Fantastic post. Double upboat.

Thanks Monty Burns just wanted to express my feelings as I see the season panning out. I only posted what has happened through this bloody tedious awful season. 

Edited by Smiler13

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Rob Hunt played well yesterday.

Yes he was a lot better than at Wigan except when he was drawn out of position for the Blackpool goal but he had a great second half. Just proves my point about players needing playing time to get back to full fitness after a long lay off. I think Doyle was suffering in the same way on Saturday but each game going forward now should get them more sharp. 

40 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

That’s right. Stability is great if you see progress- like we did under Lee Johnson. Gradually getting better/ or not making the same mistakes.  If the stability brings you more of the same or no real improvement what’s the point? 

2 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

Decent post - think I’ll print this out and hand to anyone I meet who happens to slag off Richie ?

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Decent post - think I’ll print this out and hand to anyone I meet who happens to slag off Richie ?

Perhaps you should post it to London Boy who wants us to get rid of Richie right now. Read post Change It. I would like to see him manage this team with all the problems Richie has had to cope with this season on and off the pitch. 

Anyone reckon it’d be worth a wage having a proper defence coach?

Looks like Paul Terry is doing it at the minute but wasn’t he a midfielder?

If we get Doyle back in on a permanent and make some good additions including Moimbe who I rate, we’ll have a good side but need to cut out the errors and look more organised at the back.

A proper defensive coach could be just the thing to get us more solid at the back and relieve a little pressure off the forwards to produce the goods.

Like oafc_lover I'm in the not-arsed-either-way camp when it comes to Wellens.  Not overly impressed since he was given the job permanently (29 points from 25 games?) but, if he can keep us up, I can see the argument for him staying.

However, I'll be surprised if AL doesn't replace him.

3 hours ago, Smiler13 said:

Glad I've stayed off the messageboards over Easter. I detect a hell of a lot of shit about the manager has been spouted...but massive thumbs up to Smiler for this post. I remember the days when Shez was a young manager and the general consensus was that being a rookie he needed 2 or 3 seasons. Dickov got similar good-will until it ran out for some. 

Fuck me...this has been one of the most ridiculous seasons starting with having no keeper 24hrs before the opening game and has seen all sorts of shit and curveballs thrown at the management team including having a bog for a training pitch for most of the season. It's a miracle we're not in Bury's position given the start we had and what's happened since. I have the odd gripe here and there over Wellens but any reasonably minded fan would put that down to naivety and the situations we've endured this season. He's finding his feet and doing a decent job while do so. With Adballahs support, next season (provided we keep winning this relegation battle) he will be looking a moving us up to the next level which realistically should be top 10 while nibbling at the playoffs.

Sadly, some cunts want Rome built in a day. Let's get back to remembering how we all felt in Shez's 1st season after Ronnie and accept mistakes will happen but that given a chance, progression can too.

Got to keep Wellens, especially if we stay up. 

There's been some impressive performances under him, so it's more than just sticking with him for the sake of it - he might actually know what he's doing.

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Got to keep Wellens, especially if we stay up. 

There's been some impressive performances under him, so it's more than just sticking with him for the sake of it - he might actually know what he's doing.

Really?

Got a belting squad of players and with only 8 games left he still doesnt seem to know what formation to use to get the best out of them.

We’re probably as close as ever to relegation and until Byrne came on and sparked something we looked to be lacking any fight to turn things around.

Not saying get rid but he certainly doesn’t appear to fully know what he’s doing, despite a few good performances in his honeymoon period.

7 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Glad I've stayed off the messageboards over Easter. I detect a hell of a lot of shit about the manager has been spouted...but massive thumbs up to Smiler for this post. I remember the days when Shez was a young manager and the general consensus was that being a rookie he needed 2 or 3 seasons. Dickov got similar good-will until it ran out for some. 

Fuck me...this has been one of the most ridiculous seasons starting with having no keeper 24hrs before the opening game and has seen all sorts of shit and curveballs thrown at the management team including having a bog for a training pitch for most of the season. It's a miracle we're not in Bury's position given the start we had and what's happened since. I have the odd gripe here and there over Wellens but any reasonably minded fan would put that down to naivety and the situations we've endured this season. He's finding his feet and doing a decent job while do so. With Adballahs support, next season (provided we keep winning this relegation battle) he will be looking a moving us up to the next level which realistically should be top 10 while nibbling at the playoffs.

Sadly, some cunts want Rome built in a day. Let's get back to remembering how we all felt in Shez's 1st season after Ronnie and accept mistakes will happen but that given a chance, progression can too.

Some cunts. . Nice. 

I thought we were just chewing the fat. 

For the the purpose of balance- as you and smiler seem very keen to point out he’s doing a miracle job under the most unbelievable pressure. 

He was here when all this shitstorm started- he saw first hand how the club was run. How it had been run, and had first hand experience of the new owner and how he would like to run things. He already knew the squad and the personalities. I would say that’s very advantageous. 

He didn’t get parachuted in, he desperately wanted the job. So complaining about the job, once in your post is either incredibly stupid or just very naive. 

He knew we had a shit pitch- but didn’t adapt early enough.

He had the best backing I can remember in Jan. 

Despite being heavily backed he moaned all the way through Jan the takeover wasn’t going through, coinciding with a dreadful run of form. . 

He’s done ok. He’s had the same problems that every rookie league 1 manger has.

Do I want him sacked? No. 

But I’m not having he’s been the second coming, working under impossible conditions. It’s bollocks.