Blackpool (H)

21 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

From what I have heard, Wellens will be gone well before Byrne...

Really would not want that to happen 

Doyle and Byrne both want to play for him and can see those both going if that’s the case 

Edited by LightDN123

15 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

No surprise really. Think he’ll be binned off at the end of the season whether we stay up or not.

Absolutely.  Wellens deserved a shot after his stint as caretaker and that's from someone who originally felt we should look for someone more experienced.

Things haven't gone to plan since and this squad shouldn't really be stuttering its way to survival.  Plus, I imagine Lemsagam will have his own ideas about a manager.  I'd be very surprised if Wellens is still here past the end of this season.

30 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Really would not want that to happen 

Doyle and Byrne both want to play for him and can see those both going if that’s the case 

I can't speak for Doyle, but Wellens and Byrne don't get on at all, and that isn't just based on yesterday either...

I can guarantee you I've competed at the very highest level as a paid athlete, I've also coached at national level so I'd suggest your talking bollocks.

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I can see from this post that you haven’t played a team sport at any decent level.

We still look like a team of individuals, relying on a bit quality from the likes of Doyle/Byrne/Nazon. Disappointing when ability-wise I’d say we have the best team we’ve had in a few seasons.

I can see a clear out in the summer with a team based around Byrne, (hopefully) Doyle and probably a new manager.

24 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I can't speak for Doyle, but Wellens and Byrne don't get on at all, and that isn't just based on yesterday either...

I heard that Paul Cook at Wigan didn’t get on with Byrne either, and Blackburn fired him off pretty quick as well.

There’s a common denominator somewhere in all of this.

3 hours ago, youngen said:

First half we lumped balls up to two strikers who were not winning headers. The only joy we got was when the ball landed to Mcleneny or one of the full backs and we got balls across the box to Doyle. Otherwise we were completely clueless. It only takes an average performance from Jay Spearing to see that he does what Fane and Gardner both do. Fane only tackles half the time cos he hasnt read the game properly and is recovering his position. He is the best out of what we have, that doesnt make him any good. Id be offloading him and getting a competent league 1 footballer in in the summer in place. It is a sign that we have been resigned to League 1 relegation battles for years that people think Gardner and Fane are actually good players.

The best football we have played this year is when Byrne was allowed to play the free role behind Doyle. And once again on Saturday that dragged us out the shit. 

Or he was allowed to play as he had Fane and Gardner behind him in a midfield 3!

Edited by welshgaz

2 hours ago, Stevie_J said:

Absolutely.  Wellens deserved a shot after his stint as caretaker and that's from someone who originally felt we should look for someone more experienced.

Things haven't gone to plan since and this squad shouldn't really be stuttering its way to survival.  Plus, I imagine Lemsagam will have his own ideas about a manager.  I'd be very surprised if Wellens is still here past the end of this season.

Maybe what he means is more foreign  imports will test RW's patience. 

There is a load of bollocks being quoted on this thread. Let’s put some things into perspective. Number one first 9 games under Shez we limped to 5 points. Wellens took over and next 9 games we returned 18 points. Then injuries set in . Also the new take over took forever and over the Christmas/new year period Wellens had to deal with a player embargo. Our best loan players went back to their parent clubs and the team lost confidence. Then after the embargo was lifted we find that Doyle has a blood clot and he is out for at least 13 weeks. Then he looses Rob Hunt with an 8 week injury. The weather has been exceptionally bad and the worst winter for many years. The pitch has suffered and therefore our passing game could not continue on such a bad surface. Matches where postponed due to the weather and international call ups and we have no place to train properly like some other clubs eg Fleetwood/Bury. So we play one week and find the next it’s postponed. Therefore we loose continuity. Now our centre back and captain is injured. Many an experienced manager would have folded completely under all these unforceable circumstances. Wellens has kept going from one crisis to the next and should be applauded for his commitment under such duress and bad luck. For god sake stop asking for him to be replaced. Give the guy our utmost support and if he keeps us up give him a chance to rebuild in the summer and hopefully next year we won’t have as many destabilising elements for him to contend with. Keep going Mr Wellens some of us are behind you. Give the guy a chance and remember he will make mistakes he’s a young manager learning the ropes. For one I think that he’s doing a decent job considering what bad luck he’s had to contend with in his first few months of management. 

18 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

There is a load of bollocks being quoted on this thread. Let’s put some things into perspective. Number one first 9 games under Shez we limped to 5 points. Wellens took over and next 9 games we returned 18 points. Then injuries set in . Also the new take over took forever and over the Christmas/new year period Wellens had to deal with a player embargo. Our best loan players went back to their parent clubs and the team lost confidence. Then after the embargo was lifted we find that Doyle has a blood clot and he is out for at least 13 weeks. Then he looses Rob Hunt with an 8 week injury. The weather has been exceptionally bad and the worst winter for many years. The pitch has suffered and therefore our passing game could not continue on such a bad surface. Matches where postponed due to the weather and international call ups and we have no place to train properly like some other clubs eg Fleetwood/Bury. So we play one week and find the next it’s postponed. Therefore we loose continuity. Now our centre back and captain is injured. Many an experienced manager would have folded completely under all these unforceable circumstances. Wellens has kept going from one crisis to the next and should be applauded for his commitment under such duress and bad luck. For god sake stop asking for him to be replaced. Give the guy our utmost support and if he keeps us up give him a chance to rebuild in the summer and hopefully next year we won’t have as many destabilising elements for him to contend with. Keep going Mr Wellens some of us are behind you. Give the guy a chance and remember he will make mistakes he’s a young manager learning the ropes. For one I think that he’s doing a decent job considering what bad luck he’s had to contend with in his first few months of management. 

So he’s taken 38 points from 29 games in charge. If we imagine that we were 29 games into the season, RW would have us roughly 17th. . (Where else)  So no better or worse than the majority that have gone before. 

Wether he stays or goes will come down to what AL wants to do in the summer, to tread water or push on. 

Personally, if we stay up i’d be happy for him to be given next season; but equally if we sacked him I wouldn’t be gutted- it might mean ambition. 

Now theres a thought. 

34 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

Crisis? Give over...

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So he’s taken 38 points from 29 games in charge. If we imagine that we were 29 games into the season, RW would have us roughly 17th. . (Where else)  So no better or worse than the majority that have gone before. 

Wether he stays or goes will come down to what AL wants to do in the summer, to tread water or push on. 

Personally, if we stay up i’d be happy for him to be given next season; but equally if we sacked him I wouldn’t be gutted- it might mean ambition. 

Now theres a thought. 

Agreed but we have never had a season with as many destabilising elements in it for a long time. Take over, player embargo’s , many key players injured, extreme weather conditions. Christ if top Premier managers had to contend with what Wellens has had to put up with in their first 6 months of management and no proper training facilities due to the weather I am certain they would have also suffered in terms of results. Some supporters on here want bloody miracles. Remember we had an owner who was not prepared to put money into the club. The take over was destabilising. Key players out through serious injury. They need time to get back to full fitness when they return.

Edited by Smiler13

40 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

The weather has been exceptionally bad and the worst winter for many years. The pitch has suffered and therefore our passing game could not continue on such a bad surface. Matches where postponed due to the weather and international call ups and we have no place to train properly like some other clubs eg Fleetwood/Bury. So we play one week and find the next it’s postponed. Therefore we loose continuity. 

I can agree that the recent breaks due weather have made that we've lost any rhythm we may have had during February (I'd say we played poorly in all of our fixtures during March, including Scunthrope) but the Winter/ Spring deterioration of the playing surface at BP is a given and can't be a excuse for any manager.

Just now, Twisbrogan said:

I can agree that the recent breaks due weather have made that we've lost any rhythm we may have had during February (I'd say we played poorly in all of our fixtures during March, including Scunthrope) but the Winter/ Spring deterioration of the playing surface at BP is a given and can't be a excuse for any manager.

I agree with you however if we replace Wellens with experience there is no gaurantee of success. You only have to look at Northampton as proof of this . JFH has just been sacked however he’s experienced and took Burton into the Championship. I would rather stick with Wellens and give him a chance in the summer to bring in Doyle permanently and strengthen the defence. He does need a good assistant to guide him so I think that’s a crucial appointment in the summer  and it has to be someone better than Paul Jewell.