2018 Sell, Release or Keep. Defenders

2018 Sell, Release or Keep. DEF  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Peter Clarke (2019)

2. 2. Tom Hamer (2019?)

3. 3. Anthony Gerrard (2019)

4. 4. Rob Hunt (2020)

5. 5. George Edmundson (2019 plus option)

6. 6. Kallum Mantack (End of Contract)

7. 7. Jamie Stott (End of Contract)

8. 8. Wilfried Moimbé (End of Contract)

9. 9. Brian Wilson (End of contract)

10. 10. Cameron Dummigan (End of contract but option)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/28/2019 at 10:45 AM

So what do we do?

I've not differentiated, so assume sell or free transfer (cutting our losses) are the same thing for simplicity.

And hardly anyone signs pay for playing only so full contract  or release

Edited by singe

Dummigan

Edmundson 

Hamer

Hunt

Should be the defence from game one next season and let them grow as a unit (inevitable mistakes an all), Ripley or similar ilk in behind them and you'd have a platform to build on.

2 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

Massive miss dummigan was... Added much needed width 

Fall guy a few weeks ago for some of the clueless on here but your right he was a big miss, for all his mistakes he was under huge pressure because of our insistence on playing a formation leaving him hopelessly exposed.

Despite having a really shit defence I would keep the majority of this team

Wilson and probably Clarke too should be told thanks very much for your service and find a new club. Dummigan might be the only one who will likely find a better deal than what we are offering. Im abit torn on Gerrard will he be able to play 46 games next season Im not sure but his experience could be vital certainly for the likes of Hamer and Edmondson coming through. Id let Moimbe go. We can find a capable left back who isnt a walking red card. A left back and a centre back would be all thats required here I might be prepared to sacrifice either hunt or Dummigan if it allows us to strengthen elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Fall guy a few weeks ago for some of the clueless on here but your right he was a big miss, for all his mistakes he was under huge pressure because of our insistence on playing a formation leaving him hopelessly exposed.

Played full back and winger and put a shift in week in week out.....defensive lapses mainly came because of lack of cover allowing overload or because he was caught upfield.... 

1 minute ago, Fruitygoo said:

Played full back and winger and put a shift in week in week out.....defensive lapses mainly came because of lack of cover allowing overload or because he was caught upfield.... 

Add to that the defensive lapses came because he was generally fucked from doing the running of two men and I agree 100%.

I was in agreement with most options apart from keeping Clarke and releasing Gerrard.

Both are a liability in terms of pace and, during the recent campaign, I didn't notice an upturn in fortunes dropping Clarke for Gerrard.

Another factor is, in my opinion, Clarke is a better leader.

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Dummigan

Edmundson 

Hamer

Hunt

Should be the defence from game one next season and let them grow as a unit (inevitable mistakes an all), Ripley or similar ilk in behind them and you'd have a platform to build on.

4 defenders isn't enough, they won't play every game, at least a couple of strong mobile centre backs should be brought in.

A reliable keeper is essential.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, mikejh45 said:

I was in agreement with most options apart from keeping Clarke and releasing Gerrard.

Both are a liability in terms of pace and, during the recent campaign, I didn't notice an upturn in fortunes dropping Clarke for Gerrard.

Another factor is, in my opinion, Clarke is a better leader.

Opposite for me Clarke lead by example which last season was great this year not so, for me Gerrard better on field organiser though I believe he had as much confidence in placide as I do in a peace accord between Israel and the Arabs! 

For years we’ve struggled so other than the younger ones who actually give a shit bin the lot and start again 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Weird that we've conceded so many but player by player you think most of them are alright... 

Defensive coach init. Na, but seriously we lacked organisation massively.

Just because we had an ex defender in our coaching ranks doesn’t neccesrly mean he’s a good defensive coach. May be slightly different because he’s a level above me (Paul Terry)  but I’ve always been a centre back... however I’m much more comfortable putting sessions on for the attackers. 

We lacked organisation and defensive systems, in fact I’ve not noticed a system all season. He tinkered with one for a bit at the start of his reign.

Id keep most of our defenders besides Wilson and Mantack (latter is harsh because not featured but no point being on wage bill) 

Not convinced I’d keep Clarke and Gerrard, but funnily enough I reckon them two at the back in League Two dependant on how you set up to play, could work quite well (I wouldn’t want it at my club though) 

22 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

We've just been relegated mainly due to a lack of leaders and there's an overwhelming majority vote to get rid of Peter Clarke.

We should be building a team around that lad next season. Defies belief. 

Why? He'll be 37. There are younger leaders out there