Squad movements, summer 2018

5 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

The folk in Oldham Town Centre look like willing participants of a nuclear experiment that went wrong. Horrid place. There are nice parts of Oldham mind but I get Gerrard’s comment completely and anyone offended by it is very strange. 

Not really, it pees me off when I'm out of town that people say...ohh so your from manchester? ....no I'm chuffing not. I am not a Manc. I'm from Oldham.

it still niggles me we change our addresses in the 80's from Lancashire to Manchester. 

These days as an employee, you represent your company even when you are not at work and  can be disciplined if your are caught out. I should know I've had a couple of near misses..that darn social media thingy.

13 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

The folk in Oldham Town Centre look like willing participants of a nuclear experiment that went wrong. Horrid place. There are nice parts of Oldham mind but I get Gerrard’s comment completely and anyone offended by it is very strange. 

And where are you from?

Im not from Oldham as my username quite clearly suggests but Im not going to come on here and the run the place or the people down thats pathetic and abit ignorant aswell. 

I agree with Maddog 100%

Edited by GlossopLatic

8 hours ago, maddog said:

I am proud of being from Oldham. I’ve lived elsewhere. I’ve never felt at home elsewhere so I’m back after 9 years living in big cities. And glad. And proud. I was always proud of the self-depreciation along with pride the town had. But in recent years the rest of Oldham seems to have lost pride in itself. It’s weird. And it looks like the club is following suit. This not ok. Some random scouse blokes on the train back back from Northampton were saying to some of our fans ‘Never be ashamed of where you’re from’ and they’re so right! I know Oldham isn’t utopia, but having followed Latics around the country, nowhere is. 

I’m not going to sit back and be happy while some mediocre footballer calls my home town a shit hole, as if that’s an ok thing to say. It’s not. 

I totally agree with this but then 1st home of the season Gerrard will be probably on the pitch when 100s of Oldham fans sing that Oldhams a shit hole.

The only fans in the country with zero pride of where they are from but constantly spout about how great a set of fans they are because they show up. You won't hear any other fans sing down their home town no matter what. It doesn't exactly sound like they are behind the team? Oh and it isn't funny.

The whole attitude around the club and the town has to change.

29 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

I totally agree with this but then 1st home of the season Gerrard will be probably on the pitch when 100s of Oldham fans sing that Oldhams a shit hole.

The only fans in the country with zero pride of where they are from but constantly spout about how great a set of fans they are because they show up. You won't hear any other fans sing down their home town no matter what. It doesn't exactly sound like they are behind the team? Oh and it isn't funny.

At the last away game I heard Rochdale fans use the same response as we do to the "... is a Shithole, I wanna go home song." Given the number of Oldham fans from (or live in) Rochdale the irony wasn't lost on me. 

I think Oldham has probably more going for it than Rochdale. But if I was employed by an organisation so intrinsically linked to the town I wouldn't be bad mouthing either. 

Maybe he thinks his cousin is going to come calling with a job offer. After all for all the bravado of some Scots, League 1 is about the standard of their Premiership. 

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

I do hate our retort to that song when away fans sing it. 

Instead of "Oldham's a shithole, we already know", why not sing "I'd rather stay here, Scunthorpe's (for a quite worthy example..) a shithole, I'd rather stay here"...

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

I'm shocked to read that some things football fans sing aren't true, maybe even ironic. I'm going to be checking if we are actually the pride of all Europe and the cock of the north. There'll be bother if I find out we're not.

16 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I'm shocked to read that some things football fans sing aren't true, maybe even ironic. I'm going to be checking if we are actually the pride of all Europe and the cock of the north. There'll be bother if I find out we're not.

We dont sing that song Man United do take it up with them.

20 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I hate to break this to you but we've never taken over anyone's town. Not once. Never mind again

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We dont sing that song Man United do take it up with them.

I've heard it sung at BP plenty of times. Very few if the old faithfuls come out any more. I didn't, and still don't hate Nottingham Forest.

27 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Utd sing that not us!

1 minute ago, Magic Mikey said:

I've heard it sung at BP plenty of times. Very few if the old faithfuls come out any more. I didn't, and still don't hate Nottingham Forest.

35 years and can honestly say ive never heard us sing that home or away ever

Edited by palmer1

Just now, palmer1 said:

35 years and can honestly say ive never heard us sing that sing.

It's a moot point. I was illustrating that it's a bit silly to take football songs literally. The "shithole" song is a great way of taking the wind out of the sails of opposition fans. I and many others find it funny. It doesn't mean that's what we actually think.

First home game I'll be checking if all the lads and lasses walking down Sheepfoot Lane actually have smiles upon their faces -does that pass your pendantry test?

1 minute ago, Magic Mikey said:

It's a moot point. I was illustrating that it's a bit silly to take football songs literally. The "shithole" song is a great way of taking the wind out of the sails of opposition fans. I and many others find it funny. It doesn't mean that's what we actually think.

First home game I'll be checking if all the lads and lasses walking down Sheepfoot Lane actually have smiles upon their faces -does that pass your pendantry test?

I think the point is we could sing a better retort. I mean when you get fans of clubs such as Scunthorpe Rotherham Rochdale telling people from Oldham that tbeir town is a shithole its obviously abit pot kettle and black. A reminder where they come from might be a better response.

6 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I think you've missed the point a bit. 

No one's saying football songs arnt supposed to be ironic.

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

I think you've missed the point a bit. 

No one's saying football songs arnt supposed to be ironic.

Maybe I misinterpreted some of the comments. I thought people were genuinely offended by the song.

12 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

One time it's amusing, every time it's not and do you honestly think it 'takes the wind out of someone's sales' if a large portion if home fans think it's pathetic then what do the oppo think?

By the way love the fact you credited a utd song to our fans twice and were called out on it now it's moot! 

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

Give over! Everyone replies with that song when the shithole jibe is given out. It’s not that deep.

Just now, palmer1 said:

One time it's amusing, every time it's not and do you honestly think it 'takes the wind out of someone's sales' if a large portion if home fans think it's pathetic then what do the oppo think?

By the way love the fact you credited a utd song to our fans twice and were called out on it now it's moot! 

I'm not going to explain what moot means, you've got Google. Maybe if you'd been going to Latics as long as me you would have heard it. It was a generic song, sung by many teams' fans in the seventies. I'll concede that you probably pay more attention to, and know more about, Man Utd songs than I do.

15 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Maybe I misinterpreted some of the comments. I thought people were genuinely offended by the song.

I don't think it's being offended as such, just tired of the fact that our own fans (and at least one player, it would seem..) don't appear to have any pride in the town..

Edited by JoeP

17 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I'm not going to explain what moot means, you've got Google. Maybe if you'd been going to Latics as long as me you would have heard it. It was a generic song, sung by many teams' fans in the seventies. I'll concede that you probably pay more attention to, and know more about, Man Utd songs than I do.

I wonder how far back you would have said if I hadn't give you a timescale... ?

You probably mean Utd sang it when they came to BP in the seventies.

Edited by palmer1