Squad movements, summer 2018

4 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

We've asked a right back to come in for pre-season and prove his fitness.

I'd have thought that was the last position we needed to look at unless one or two are off?

We've got Dummigan, Hunt and Hamer for right back (Wilson is gone). Hunt is (apparently) in demand and who knows whether Dummigan wants to play in D4? 

Looking at it that way, it could have legs, this.

Don't really want to say who it is for now as he's not even agreed to to the trial yet, but it's legit as a relative of mine is one of his best mates.

He's a downgrade on Hunt & Dummigan though, although I suppose it's to be expected with dropping a division.

23 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Don't really want to say who it is for now as he's not even agreed to to the trial yet, but it's legit as a relative of mine is one of his best mates.

He's a downgrade on Hunt & Dummigan though, although I suppose it's to be expected with dropping a division.

Please be Connor Brown, please be Connor Brown...

40 minutes ago, leeslover said:

I've nothing personal against palmer01 but let's face it, it would be funny.

Just palmer1, palmer01 is my father's name...

I've nothing personal against Connor Brown (I honestly haven't) but dear God in heaven no! ?

Edited by palmer1

Jose we will see but definitely more positive than negative.

The negative is Wellens admission that he has to move players out who only have a year to run on their contracts in order to get players in.  Why negative because as Wellens admits nobody yes just nobody has yet approached us for any of the players he wants (has to) move out.

I wonder which, if not all, of the nine he wants to move on - Zeus, Johny, Clarke, Dummigan, Gerrard, Fane, Gardener, Aaron or Davies?  

2 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Jose we will see but definitely more positive than negative.

The negative is Wellens admission that he has to move players out who only have a year to run on their contracts in order to get players in.  Why negative because as Wellens admits nobody yes just nobody has yet approached us for any of the players he wants (has to) move out.

I wonder which, if not all, of the nine he wants to move on - Zeus, Johny, Clarke, Dummigan, Gerrard, Fane, Gardener, Aaron or Davies?  

Stay for me would be -

Zeus to stay as he will be dirt cheap backup, 

Dummigan a big season out of him could see a decent tribunal price for him end of the season. 

Gerrard if he can stay fit. Too many injuries this season. 

Fane sort of gritty player you want to come on and break the game up. 

The Rest would say bye to and maybe make some money back. 

50 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Stay for me would be -

Zeus to stay as he will be dirt cheap backup, 

Dummigan a big season out of him could see a decent tribunal price for him end of the season. 

Gerrard if he can stay fit. Too many injuries this season. 

Fane sort of gritty player you want to come on and break the game up. 

The Rest would say bye to and maybe make some money back. 

Swings and roundabouts between Clarke and Gerrard.

Better footballer - Gerrard.

Better captain - Clarke

Better....in terms of fitness and mobility - Clarke.

I find it funny that people go all dewy eyed about Ripley but get ultra critical about Clarke when the former played more losing games during the last season.

From a personal perspective, I would like to see Clarke in a player/defensive coach role and bin Gerrard.

21 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Swings and roundabouts between Clarke and Gerrard.

Better footballer - Gerrard.

Better captain - Clarke

Better....in terms of fitness and mobility - Clarke.

I find it funny that people go all dewy eyed about Ripley but get ultra critical about Clarke when the former played more losing games during the last season.

From a personal perspective, I would like to see Clarke in a player/defensive coach role and bin Gerrard.

Ive defended Gerrard in the past thinking he was a good guy to have in the dressing room but heard a tale last weekend which I have no reason to doubt about him telling a young Latics fan he was ‘gutted’ for him he was from Oldham and that Oldham was the ‘greyest of grey places’. Put me off him a bit if I’m being honest. Just a really cunty attitude even if he believes that to be the case. Very disrespectful. Fuck him off. 

Clarke I felt was past it in the games he played last year but think he’d be good on the coaching staff. 

10 minutes ago, maddog said:

Ive defended Gerrard in the past thinking he was a good guy to have in the dressing room but heard a tale last weekend which I have no reason to doubt about him telling a young Latics fan he was ‘gutted’ for him he was from Oldham and that Oldham was the ‘greyest of grey places’. Put me off him a bit if I’m being honest. Just a really cunty attitude even if he believes that to be the case. Very disrespectful. Fuck him off. 

Clarke I felt was past it in the games he played last year but think he’d be good on the coaching staff. 

Could he not have been joking? Also he's not really wrong lol

19 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Could he not have been joking? Also he's not really wrong lol

Apparently not. And it’s not really funny or true lol. 

And it’s generally a cunt thing to say. Don’t pretend it isn’t. 

I am proud of being from Oldham. I’ve lived elsewhere. I’ve never felt at home elsewhere so I’m back after 9 years living in big cities. And glad. And proud. I was always proud of the self-depreciation along with pride the town had. But in recent years the rest of Oldham seems to have lost pride in itself. It’s weird. And it looks like the club is following suit. This not ok. Some random scouse blokes on the train back back from Northampton were saying to some of our fans ‘Never be ashamed of where you’re from’ and they’re so right! I know Oldham isn’t utopia, but having followed Latics around the country, nowhere is. 

I’m not going to sit back and be happy while some mediocre footballer calls my home town a shit hole, as if that’s an ok thing to say. It’s not. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maddog said:

From one of the greyest of grey footballers if true thats some statement,  lets face it the guys a pudding who despite what he thinks nobody else wants so he must get real satisfaction looking in the mirror every morning, patting himself on the back for what he's achieved.

Another rumoured bad egg before he arrived here he should feel privileged that we offered him a job with pay (unlike Shrewsbury where he had to play for free) then made him captain of our club, what sticks in my throat with the bloke though other than his unprofessional attitude to his fitness is the way he allowed - as captain Byrne to behave like an absolute bellend last season instead of bringing him in line, compared to the two previous seasons where he was on decent bonuses to help keep us up the end of this season was a bit of a damp squib for the bloke.

Ironically his last four clubs have gone from strength to strength after they binned him off, Hull City and Cardiff both gained promotion to the Premier League after he left, Huddersfield have gone from strength to strength and even Shrewsbury Town seem much better off without him, could just be coincidence but lets hope we can see a reverse in our fortunes in this greyest of grey towns when we can finally get him off the books.

7 hours ago, maddog said:

You bumped into Leeslover then...

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

From one of the greyest of grey footballers if true thats some statement,  lets face it the guys a pudding who despite what he thinks nobody else wants so he must get real satisfaction looking in the mirror every morning, patting himself on the back for what he's achieved.

Another rumoured bad egg before he arrived here he should feel privileged that we offered him a job with pay (unlike Shrewsbury where he had to play for free) then made him captain of our club, what sticks in my throat with the bloke though other than his unprofessional attitude to his fitness is the way he allowed - as captain Byrne to behave like an absolute bellend last season instead of bringing him in line, compared to the two previous seasons where he was on decent bonuses to help keep us up the end of this season was a bit of a damp squib for the bloke.

Ironically his last four clubs have gone from strength to strength after they binned him off, Hull City and Cardiff both gained promotion to the Premier League after he left, Huddersfield have gone from strength to strength and even Shrewsbury Town seem much better off without him, could just be coincidence but lets hope we can see a reverse in our fortunes in this greyest of grey towns when we can finally get him off the books.

I think we can probably put it down to coincidence...