Squad movements, summer 2018

Byrne on the right wing / right side is shite. Doesn't work hard, no team ethic and arrogant. More trouble than he is worth.

Byrne in the middle / in the hole is potentially a championship player. Worth his arrogance and bother.

Our current manager plays him wide right for a large amount of the time. If Peterborough or whoever form their attacking play around him he will be a world beater in league one. 

Jack Byrne is a funny one for me. Has unbelievable ability and during his loan spell really rivalled some of the better players I have seen play for Latics in recent years (I’m 24). That said, his attitude and mood swings really took me back to school football when the best player on the pitch if things weren’t going his way would strop and sulk thus not offering the team anything whatsoever. The amount of times he lost the ball and just threw his arms in the air instead of getting back into a position to effect the next phase of the game was way too high considering we were in a relegation battle. Along with Byrne, you had Nazon (also ridiculously dangerous when he wanted to be) who tended to just argue amongst themselves as the other team were breaking 15/20 yards away.

I do however understand Byrne’s frustration to an extent, being stuck out wide was nothing short of clueless. I just feel Wellens didn’t have a clue how to fit all the players he wanted to play into a system that would bring the best of the individual abilities. For me, Byrne in the last 10 games changed the game twice, both in the middle but both coming from the subs bench (Blackpool at home and Wimbledon away)

Going forward and looking ahead to next season in League Two, I would be prepared to listen to offers but wouldn’t give him away on the cheap. If a player doesn’t want to be here then fine, let them go by all means and replace them using the money received from their sale. What I would do however is sit Jack Byrne down and say ‘give us a season and help get us out of the division then we will sell you to wherever you want to go’

He could be our equivalent of Nick Powell/Bradley Dack should we be able to work with him throughout the summer/pre season. Given the choice I would try to keep him, if he wants out however, I would be prepared to listen to offers.

• Like 2

Jack Byrne is a shining example of how a bad team spirit can take you down, even if you have better players than teams around you in the table. In my opinion, catering for him in the team was one of the main reasons we got relegated. Had far, far worse players in a team than last season yet will to win and team spirit kept us up time and time again. Looked a million dollars until we made investment in him before acting like a spoilt child virtually the minute things began to turn to shit.

Sheer brilliant on his day, but an utter shithouse. Pulled out of a couple of challenges in the 2-3 matches I saw in the second half of the season. Really can't abide that as a supporter, no matter how fucking talented the player is. Peterborough, or whoever is in for him are more than welcome to him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bozman said:

I was told by one of Bury's sponsors that Stewart Day had approached the club to see if we'd be interested in ground sharing in a new build ground somewhere  between the two towns. 

No idea if or how those talks have progressed unfortunately.

18 hours ago, maddog said:

Wouldnt somewhere between be Rochdale?!

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Two stadiums in Rochdale?

18 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Something North End

Manchester North End! :shock:  That sent a shiver down my spine. Wasn't that idea the beginning of the end of Ian Stott at Latics?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/jan/09/newsstory.sport6

29 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Jack Byrne is a shining example of how a bad team spirit can take you down, even if you have better players than teams around you in the table. In my opinion, catering for him in the team was one of the main reasons we got relegated. Had far, far worse players in a team than last season yet will to win and team spirit kept us up time and time again. Looked a million dollars until we made investment in him before acting like a spoilt child virtually the minute things began to turn to shit.

Sheer brilliant on his day, but an utter shithouse. Pulled out of a couple of challenges in the 2-3 matches I saw in the second half of the season. Really can't abide that as a supporter, no matter how fucking talented the player is. Peterborough, or whoever is in for him are more than welcome to him.

Peterborough signed another midfielder today so Byrne might be staying after all.

If so he needs to adapt to playing in a team rather than as an individual.

59 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Comfortably the best post on here in a long time.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Peterborough signed another midfielder today so Byrne might be staying after all.

If so he needs to adapt to playing in a team rather than as an individual.

This in summary, while ideally you would play him a number 10 position but not everyone has space in the team for a number 10 and in some cases it might be taken by someonelse so he will have to learn at times in his career to play in different positions.

His ability is such that he is capable of playing left or right mid or even in the centre and still be the best player on the pitch but he has to learn to adapt his game. Plus cutting out the sulks such as complaining about getting kneck ache to the manager at Rochdale (we were in the middle of a relegation scrap in late April at spotland it was never going to be pretty) He does that he will fulfil his potential and play 2-300 games at championship level and above hopefully a few of which will be with us.

Edited by GlossopLatic

51 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Welcome to him for 300k

We don't get all the 300k, think as much as half goes to Brighton. 

He was one of the players who I thought actually did well towards the end of the season. Especially the Donny game where despite being 22 he was the experienced one doing a lot of the organisation. 

1 hour ago, oafc1000 said:

It has been reported in the press, Wigan also interested. Hunt has a 300k release clause.

I'd take £300k (or whatever cut we get of it) for Hunt if it means we can keep Dummigan.  I'd be happy with one or the other being first choice right back next season.

On a separate note, negotiating a £300k release clause AND an approx. 50% sell on clause with Brighton is a bit extreme by us and very restricting.  Unless Hunt or his agent were forcing it.

8 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'd take £300k (or whatever cut we get of it) for Hunt if it means we can keep Dummigan.  I'd be happy with one or the other being first choice right back next season.

On a separate note, negotiating a £300k release clause AND an approx. 50% sell on clause with Brighton is a bit extreme by us and very restricting.  Unless Hunt or his agent were forcing it.

I think most of us were surprised when he signed permanently for us, so the prohibitive terms of his release and sell on clauses were probably the only ways to land him. Richie said the only way we can sign better players is by promising to release them if the right offer came along which seems logical to me.

I rekon we will get some transfers in very soon as Ritchie said few weeks ago he wants players in quick . Just hope we come out fast start in august get up the table early and make Saturday evenings happy with 3 points unlike like few seasons 

5 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Considering we got him for a free I think it was a way for us to pay Brighton what he was worth at the time.