Next Manager Speculation

17 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Really doubt it’ll be Scholes now unfortunately as I don’t think the connection is there anymore. He wouldn’t be my choice but I would still rather have Frank Bunn than an unknown foreign coach who has difficulty getting his message across to our British players unless of course there isn’t going to be any!

I'm Brexit as fuck myself but I couldn't fault the most mental of remainers calling this post "Brexit as fuck" :grin:

20 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

I was talking to two members of female staff earlier today in Costa, Elk Mill. I had a problem with the WiFi. After helping they asked me to try it. I logged onto OWTB, asking if they were Latics fans. Quite casually they said no but added Paul Scholes had been in talking at length to some bloke or blokes, unforgivably I cant remember which. They said it wasn't a laughing and joking get together.

For me, if it turned out Scholes and Bunn that would be almost perfect in our present situation. 

More likely Scones and Bun in Costa.

Edited by BP1960

I'm surprised at the lukewarm reaction to the possibility of Paul Scholes becoming our next manager. Considering he has won nearly a dozen Premier League titles, a couple of European Cup trophies, dozens of other cups and 60-odd international caps; considering he is arguably one of the best English players in the last 30 years and his experience working with the (it is, in my view, beyond argument) greatest manager the game has seen, I would have thought his name would cause intense excitement. He would captivate his players who would stand a chance of learning and developing, he would encourage a style of football that supporters would appreciate and would be deemed to be a significant draw for players looking for a new club.

That said, I would be surprised if Scholes is still interested. He was interviewed and turned down not even a year ago. He will doubtless be aware of the lack of brains in the boardroom and the ludicrous overspending on unexceptional players; the grip Lemsagam has on all areas of the club, too, will cause him to think twice. If he has shown interest and has any sense (a paradox in itself) he'll do one of two things: A. laugh at the true dire state of the place and leave or B. demand full control of the pitch and the players on it and tell Lemsagam to get serious.

My instinct is telling me Lemsagam is proving to be a huge hinderance, but I'd be delighted if Scholes is given he job. Having wrote this down, though, leads me to question why on earth Scholes would work in such a awful environment.

9 minutes ago, UpTheLatics said:

I'm surprised at the lukewarm reaction to the possibility of Paul Scholes becoming our next manager. Considering he has won nearly a dozen Premier League titles

He's been linked with the job more times than that and therein lies your problem... 

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Lump on Frank Bunn...

Oh god. I’m not convinced by him at all. 

Thankfully Steve Eyre already has a job, otherwise he might have brought that pillock with him too. 

They were the spectacularly unsuccessful and unloved duo at Dale weren’t they?

Edited by kowenicki

4 minutes ago, UpTheLatics said:

I'm surprised at the lukewarm reaction to the possibility of Paul Scholes becoming our next manager. Considering he has won nearly a dozen Premier League titles, a couple of European Cup trophies, dozens of other cups and 60-odd international caps; considering he is arguably one of the best English players in the last 30 years and his experience working with the (it is, in my view, beyond argument) greatest manager the game has seen, I would have thought his name would cause intense excitement. He would captivate his players who would stand a chance of learning and developing, he would encourage a style of football that supporters would appreciate and would be deemed to be a significant draw for players looking for a new club.

That said, I would be surprised if Scholes is still interested. He was interviewed and turned down not even a year ago. He will doubtless be aware of the lack of brains in the boardroom and the ludicrous overspending on unexceptional players; the grip Lemsagam has on all areas of the club, too, will cause him to think twice. If he has shown interest and has any sense (a paradox in itself) he'll do one of two things: A. laugh at the true dire state of the place and leave or B. demand full control of the pitch and the players on it and tell Lemsagam to get serious.

My instinct is telling me Lemsagam is proving to be a huge hinderance, but I'd be delighted if Scholes is given he job. Having wrote this down, though, leads me to question why on earth Scholes would work in such a awful environment.

A lukewarm reception is quite understandable - nobody knows anything. 

Five of our last six appointments have come pretty much under the radar. The exception being Sheridan's Costagate appointment.  

Being inspired by quite a squeaky Brum accent... not easy. 

I take it back. His voice has changed quite a bit since the interview after the Scarborough game.... I suppose it is nearly 30 years ago. 

Edited by kowenicki

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He's been linked with the job more times than that and therein lies your problem... 

True, but there is a monumental difference between getting linked, more or less always by redtops and bookies, and getting an interview for the job. My point is only last year did we finally get confirmation Scholes was interested.

I take your point, though.