Next Manager Speculation

My take on the runners & riders with Oldham connections

Clarke. No. Rookie, and no Asst Mgr role

Scholes. Yes, due to profile +bums on seats

Bunn. No. Rookie for 20 yrs

Seedorf. mmm. Edgard Davids? Worth a risk.

Dowie. No too long out now

Halle . OK. 50 games Mgr & Norway Intl Mgr. for u15&u17

Kuqi. No. Fair experience, but nowt won

Ritchie. No. Not now, out too long.

Ferguson. I would hate, but on football achievement alone would be one of the best choices

Carss. No. Respected, but just been Youth Coach for 11 years

McCall.  A case for it. but little success.Merry-go-round manager.

Curle. No. respect him but little achieved, and a relegation from L2.

Olsen. No! Yesterdays man. 300 game sin 30 years. He's retied hasn't he?

It won't be Paul Jewell will it :shock:

Uninspired list.

Are we even looking for a manager?

Surely it's a 'head coach' (preferably one that will be an easier sell to the supporters by virtue of already having a photo up in the boardroom) that we'll be appointing who has the remit of working with whoever rocks up to the training ground. Personally, I'd probably prefer a complete unknown chain-smoking coach from somewhere exotic.

21 minutes ago, singe said:

My take on the runners & riders with Oldham connections

Clarke. No. Rookie, and no Asst Mgr role

Scholes. Yes, due to profile +bums on seats

Bunn. No. Rookie for 20 yrs

Seedorf. mmm. Edgard Davids? Worth a risk.

Dowie. No too long out now

Halle . OK. 50 games Mgr & Norway Intl Mgr. for u15&u17

Kuqi. No. Fair experience, but nowt won

Ritchie. No. Not now, out too long.

Ferguson. I would hate, but on football achievement alone would be one of the best choices

Carss. No. Respected, but just been Youth Coach for 11 years

McCall.  A case for it. but little success.Merry-go-round manager.

Curle. No. respect him but little achieved, and a relegation from L2.

Olsen. No! Yesterdays man. 300 game sin 30 years. He's retied hasn't he?

It won't be Paul Jewell will it :shock:

Uninspired list.

No to Bunn? Who has coached for yonks at City and Huddersfield, been an assistant manager at various clubs under different managers and even had a stint as caretaker at one of em but yes to Scholes who had a brief 4 game laugh at United bar that has done nothing as a coach anywhere. How can somebody be a rookie for 20 year? As well. 

15 minutes ago, LaticsLen said:

No to Bunn? Who has coached for yonks at City and Huddersfield, been an assistant manager at various clubs under different managers and even had a stint as caretaker at one of em but yes to Scholes who had a brief 4 game laugh at United bar that has done nothing as a coach anywhere. How can somebody be a rookie for 20 year? As well. 

No to Bunn who has been asst Manager for 20 years. Why now? He's a rookie manager to us. I beleive he could do a job, but now is not the right time for us.

Scholes would not be my first choice, uninspiring list, but would put bums on seats and my impression is he would be serious at it.

Scholes over Bunn though?Yes, at this moment in time.  Would players respect Scholes or Bunn more?

My ideal would be experiences who has won something relatively recently, ideal got a promotion out of L2.

Whats the point in risking it when there are proven managers out there like Grayson who know how to manage and get teams promoted, I'm sick to death of winging it and appointing absolute no marks who if they stumble across an iota of success are happy to offer themselves around forgetting who gave them a shot in the first place.

24 minutes ago, LaticsLen said:

He's spent 20 years being an assistant and never stepping up that suggests he is better and is perhaps happier being the assistant rather than the main man.

If he came in as an assistant (experienced number 2 Klaxon) to someonelse (scholes) I'd be fine with this but not as a number 1

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Whats the point in risking it when there are proven managers out there like Grayson who know how to manage and get teams promoted, I'm sick to death of winging it and appointing absolute no marks who if they stumble across an iota of success are happy to offer themselves around forgetting who gave them a shot in the first place.

Would a Grayson want to join our L2 circus, if he elected to leave a L1 circus @ Bradford that has 20k fans turn up every week?

11 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Would a Grayson want to join our L2 circus, if he elected to leave a L1 circus @ Bradford that has 20k fans turn up every week?

Grayson left Bradford at the end of the season ... not that I think it likely he'll end up with us.

Scholes would be worth a punt not because he's one of the greatest English players of recent times, nor because of his affection for the club, but because he comes across as a no nonsesne, no bullshit, straight talking type of individual who actually talks a lot of common sense. He has fire in his belly and he seems to have a lot of knowledge about the game (again, not  based on his world class ability as a player). His status would command respect. He would need a good, experienced assistant (yes, that again), but i can't see him accepting the type of shit we had to put up with from January. I think he would be one step away from ABH if players put in that kind of a shift.

I'm surprised how so many are so against Peter Clarke.

I'm not saying he's the type I'd want this time round - I'm with Twisbrogan for a foreign mentalist - but I reckon he'll make a good manager.

He'll probably do well in his first job too especially if it's in or around League One or Two where he's so familiar 

Out of that list my choice would be Stuart McCall. He did an excellent job at Bradford on an average budget - they were a very good side during the 2016-17 season. He was very harshly sacked whilst they were 5th earlier this year after a few poor results. The decline continued even with an excellent manager like Grayson at the helm, which shows that the issues were more deep-set than the coaching staff. Would be a great appointment.

34 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I'm surprised how so many are so against Peter Clarke.

I'm not saying he's the type I'd want this time round - I'm with Twisbrogan for a foreign mentalist - but I reckon he'll make a good manager.

He'll probably do well in his first job too especially if it's in or around League One or Two where he's so familiar 

He may make a good manager in time but he would be best served going doing a year or 2s coaching before cutting his teeth as a manager like what Dowie and Sheridan did.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

He may make a good manager in time but he would be best served going doing a year or 2s coaching before cutting his teeth as a manager like what Dowie and Sheridan did.

I think he will make a good manager but he is a different type of gamble than Scholes. Of the two I feel Scholes brings much more to the party.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferguson get it,  like him or loathe him I don't think it would be a bad choice, I would take the gamble on Scholes tho if hes interested.

Edited by maximus1267