Jack Byrne ❤️

32 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I agree; Byrne and Baxter would tear this division apart. However, I'm pretty convinced that Byrne's misdemeanours are more serious than most of us believe. I've said elsewhere that I can't accept that he would have been given a (presumably) lucrative contract for the next 2 years just to then get him off the wage bill. It would make no sense. 

If his misbehaviour is such that he has got what he deserves, which I have no doubt the other players are aware of, bringing him back into the squad would undermine morale. Gerrard was shot out of the door for what appears to be much less of a breach of contract, so what message would it send to reinstate Byrne. From my point of view, we're managing without him (yes, we'd be better with him) so let's forget about him playing for us again and do the best we can with what we've got or with who may be coming in.

What about the behaviour of Mr Lemsagam ? 

is he whiter than white?

Who knows, takes two to tango.

2 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

We compare every single thing a player or staff member does in the 21st century to people from 30-60 years ago. The game has moved on, about time our fans moved on as well. 

One of the advantages of looking at what has happened in the past is to help avoid repeating the same mistakes.  To be fair though Latic’s do not seem to have any difficulty in finding new ways to screw up.

Getting back on topic this current fiasco around the club freezing Byrne, potentially the best player in the squad, out of the team is a good example of the club’s creativity when it comes to messing up.  Why can’t they just grow up, eat a bit of humble pie - after giving it 15 mins to cool down of course - & see if they can get him back into the team.  If it still does not work out then at least they will have tried rather than just giving up on him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hollinwood_pass said:

One of the advantages of looking at what has happened in the past is to help avoid repeating the same mistakes.  To be fair though Latic’s do not seem to have any difficulty in finding new ways to screw up.

Getting back on topic this current fiasco around the club freezing Byrne, potentially the best player in the squad, out of the team is a good example of the club’s creativity when it comes to messing up.  Why can’t they just grow up, eat a bit of humble pie - after giving it 15 mins to cool down of course - & see if they can get him back into the team.  If it still does not work out then at least they will have tried rather than just giving up on him.

At last a bit of common sense, thank you :applause1:

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

That is nothing more than a straight forward insult aimed at a life long Latics fan who has witnessed, like me and many others, decades of ups, downs, delight and despair. Of course, we all look forward because we all want better times for our club; the club we have loved and supported since we were kids. But we have our memories too, that no one can take away. In 20, 30, 40 years' time when LaticsPete, BP1960 and yours truly will no longer be around, I'm sure you'll  be telling the young whippersnappers in 2048 how much fun you had seeing Latics rise from the obscurity of the 4th division to the promised land again. Or not, as the case may be. In the meantime, be as negative as you want with all things Latics, but slinging insults around to make your point only reflects badly on you, not those you are trying to put down. Think about it next time.

Wrong, purely and simply because not "every single thing" is compared to days gone by and certainly not every comparison is to 30 to 60 years ago. Specifics are compared, I agree. In every walk of life, there will be times when each and every one of us thinks or says, "do you remember when"?

Think about these examples for a moment.

1. Placide was slated on here in the second half of last season and constantly compared to Ripley. So the comparison only went back a season
  2. midfielders such as Banks and Flynn, who by popular opinion were pretty rubbish, were regularly compared with the likes of Baxter (ok, he's back now), Kelly et al. That comparison went back two, three, four seasons
  3. go back a little further and think about Joe Colbeck (shudders). How many of us said "if only we had another Andy Liddell, David Eyres, Alan Groves". See, I've just covered 40 decades there, because many of us will have remembered how good those players were in comparison to some we have today.

Trust me, our fans have moved on, for no other reason than they are supporting today's team. It's what we do, no matter what has gone before. So when a comparison is made to another player or incident from a previous era, don't knock it just because you weren't around to witness it. It's all part of our, and the team's history. And as time goes by, we will continue to be part of it, as will you as your life continues.

Excellent post - nailed it.

2 minutes ago, archiecat said:

At last a bit of common sense, thank you :applause1:

Why is it common sense. Nobody knows what he has done. Until then I'm happy to let the manager and owner decide best course of action.

Do I want him in the team? Yes, the Byrne we had on loan. 

Until we know what he's done we can't say AL is out of order. We can't say FB is just a puppet. We don't know

9 minutes ago, hollinwood_pass said:

But how do you know the club hasn't tried? Just because he's not playing doesn't mean they haven't tried.

1 minute ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Why is it common sense. Nobody knows what he has done. Until then I'm happy to let the manager and owner decide best course of action.

Until we know what he's done we can't say AL is out of order. We can't say FB is just a puppet. We don't know

That's just it none of us know anything, therefore you guess that Byrne is the Devil incarnate and i say it is Lemsagam who is a Tyrant.

The situation is surely not so bad that it cannot be resolved, if it were Byrne would have been sacked immediately don't you think?

1 minute ago, Worcester Owl said:

But how do you know the club hasn't tried? Just because he's not playing doesn't mean they haven't tried.

I do not of course.  I have no insight on what has happened whatsoever,  But do you really think that the current impasse is really helping the club?  Suggests to me they need to try an alternative approach to whatever they have done so far while they still have the opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

OAFC.....Ok Jack we know that you were naughty and that we punished you by putting you with the kids but we see that was wrong and are sorry,you can come and play with the big boys now.

JACK B ...... NO !!!!!

11 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He broke Fanes leg with a nasty tackle in a training session. For whatever reason that's pissed off AL immensely (probably because Fane was about to be sold) but for whatever reason unlike Gerrard he doesn't have sufficient reason or grounds to sack him, hence Byrne will be frozen out until he decides to walk away or find himself another club, meanwhile Byrnes sizeable wages is preventing us from bringing in the two or three players we desperately need due to restrictions on what we can spend, Byrne won't be playing for us again so it's a shitter all round.

22 minutes ago, hollinwood_pass said:

We can all take sides if we wish but until it emerges (if it ever does) what his misdemeanour actually was then NO ONE can give a fully reasoned argument as to his banishment or reinstatement. If he deliberately foul tackled a teammate resulting in a broken leg he can rot with the kids for ever as far as I'm concerned. Moral values are more important to me than merely winning at sport.    

Just now, Bobledgersheart said:

We can all take sides if we wish but until it emerges (if it ever does) what his misdemeanour actually was then NO ONE can give a fully reasoned argument as to his banishment or reinstatement. If he deliberately foul tackled a teammate resulting in a broken leg he can rot with the kids for ever as far as I'm concerned. Moral values are more important to me than merely winning at sport.    

We keep coming back to this, we all agree on it but if this was the case surely it would lead to his dismissal .

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

He broke Fanes leg with a nasty tackle in a training session. For whatever reason that's pissed off AL immensely (probably because Fane was about to be sold) but for whatever reason unlike Gerrard he doesn't have sufficient reason or grounds to sack him, hence Byrne will be frozen out until he decides to walk away or find himself another club, meanwhile Byrnes sizeable wages is preventing us from bringing in the two or three players we desperately need due to restrictions on what we can spend, Byrne won't be playing for us again so it's a shitter all round.

Now here is a surprise-is it you out there Alistair Campbell? How to put spin on your own opinion and present it as a fact. Thought you were a big Burnley fan.

40 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Its dragged on that long that for him to come back now would be a mistake it could actually undermine the manager right now.

Whatever has happened its a pretty unusual step for our club to take these measures against a player. 

Its a shame as hes one of the most talented players thats played for us over the last decade but he has to go now for everyones sake including his own.

Might have been a good point if the manager hadn’t said he would like to pick him.

32 minutes ago, archiecat said:

1)Thanks for that Max, next time i am suffering from insomnia i will ask you to recite a story or two :applause1:

Milligan and Henry had Holden and Adams, Baxter and Byrne unfortunately are stuck with Nepo and Branger, bit of a disadvantage there.

For the record, i have no issue with

2)Bunn,he is merely the monkey to Lemsagam's organ grinder as far as this stand off is concerned, 

1) Unnecessary and does nothing for your argument/discussion/opinion.

2) None of us know whether FB agrees with the suspension or not, so we can't just assume he's doing as he's told. On the other hand, it's possible, of course, but it's nothing more than speculation

28 minutes ago, archiecat said:

What about the behaviour of Mr Lemsagam ? 

is he whiter than white?

Who knows, takes two to tango.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort and AL may not be behaving as he should. None of us know, we only speculate. The point I was making about Byrne's suspension is that I doubt he would be suspended this long for a minor offence just to remove his wages that had already been signed, sealed and settled, plus the effect it COULD (not would) have on the rest of the squad.