Jack Byrne ❤️

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

How exactly?   To a sensible degree of certainty.

Was it a 50/50 - did Byrne have a realistic chance of winning the ball? Was there an unnecessary amount of force behind the challenge (more than would be required to simply win the ball back)? Was the challenge unnecessarily high? What was the initial reaction of Byrne himself and the other players who witnessed it (was he immediately apologetic and were the rest of the team reassuring Jack that he isn’t to blame or was he being a unsympathetic about it and were the others angry at him)?

It’s normative. You can generally get a feel for how much intent there was simply by witnessing the incident - that’s ultimately how referees make their decision about whether a bad challenge deserves a red or a yellow. If a Latics’ player got their leg broken in the game next week against Crawley I’m sure everyone on here would be debating how much intent there was behind it, those observations would be based on what they’ve seen with their own eyes. There would’ve been enough players and staff who witnessed that training session to make a call on whether it was malice that motivated Byrne to go in for that tackle.

16 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Just as I suspected, can't respond without a dig or insult.

Don't debate if you are only willing to hear your side of it.

It was not an insult Maxie, more a bit of light hearted banter :D you need to be a bit more positive,it's not all doom and gloom just because the glory years ended 16 years ago.

Stop living in the past comparing toda'ys players with those who are now 60 years old.

18 minutes ago, Ryan said:

It’s normative.

If a Latics’ player got their leg broken in the game next week against Crawley I’m sure everyone on here would be debating how much intent there was behind it

You've answered your own question; everyone would be debating, not proving it to the satisfaction of a court or tribunal. 

Edited by Dave_Og

1 hour ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

We should be looking to create new memories rather than just fixating on the past .

Without the past there is no future and you of all people should know this ?

Besides, the past was far better than what you've most probably witnessed in your short time on the planet 

29 minutes ago, archiecat said:

It was not an insult Maxie, more a bit of light hearted banter :D you need to be a bit more positive,it's not all doom and gloom just because the glory years ended 16 years ago.

Stop living in the past comparing toda'ys players with those who are now 60 years old.

16 years ago? 

I think you will find it was quite abit before that.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, archiecat said:

Your supposed to be an Oldham fan, so be one and stop acting like a sheep following the other tools who post shite to get attention or a response from other fans.

Grow up you feckin tool

6 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Your supposed to be an Oldham fan, so be one and stop acting like a sheep following the other tools who post shite to get attention or a response from other fans.

Grow up you feckin tool

That's a bit nasty from a senior fan, one who advocates respect for his fellow supporters!

You are the one who rambled on about Milligan and Henry, sacking Bunn  etc. I have read all your posts preaching the virtues of having an upbeat approach to all things Latics.

Yeah, I read your little stories of how you just read and very rarely post on the forum. You have changed your tack a bit recently eh, well that's all well and good but you are not in any way shape or form qualified to advise me on what to write or say.

I am making comments about Jack Byrne on a thread bearing his name, not talking about players from the early nineties so i will kindly thank you to remember the respect you preach and refrain from insulting me..

1 minute ago, archiecat said:

That's a bit nasty from a senior fan, one who advocates respect for his fellow supporters!

You are the one who rambled on about Milligan and Henry, sacking Bunn  etc. I have read all your posts preaching the virtues of having an upbeat approach to all things Latics.

Yeah, I read your little stories of how you just read and very rarely post on the forum. You have changed your tack a bit recently eh, well that's all well and good but you are not in any way shape or form qualified to advise me on what to write or say.

I am making comments about Jack Byrne on a thread bearing his name, not talking about players from the early nineties so i will kindly thank you to remember the respect you preach and refrain from insulting me..

Ok pal alright then.

I still think you are a acting like a tool by the way, some people just don't deserve respect.

So you know I'm not qualified do you ?

I could be more than qualified to advise you of what to write or say, as you put it.

I'll not respond to you in future but hope you learn to allow other posters their views and opinions.

4 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Ok pal alright then.

I still think you are a acting like a tool by the way, some people just don't deserve respect.

So you know I'm not qualified do you ?

I could be more than qualified to advise you of what to write or say, as you put it.

I'll not respond to you in future but hope you learn to allow other posters their views and opinions.

If you want to throw your toys out of the pram Max, feel free to do that.

Maybe i don't deserve your respect but we all have opinions, we all support the same team you see :chubb:

you would do well to look at your final line and take heed of your own words.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

You've answered your own question; everyone would be debating, not proving it to the satisfaction of a court or tribunal. 

If it was as overt as some on here are making out I’m not sure opinion would come into it

51 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Im struggling to see why comparing current players with those from the past is somehow mutually exclusive from being forward thinking.

It's the modern way - no such thing as a nuanced position on anything.  If you don't agree with what I say it must mean you are 100% opposed to me.  Everything is black or white.

It's bizarre, tiring to come up against and completely ruins any decent chance of debate about any subject.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

It's the modern way - no such thing as a nuanced position on anything.  If you don't agree with what I say it must mean you are 100% opposed to me.  Everything is black or white.

It's bizarre, tiring to come up against and completely ruins any decent chance of debate about any subject.

People with opinions that are black and white are usually being quite defensive without even knowing.

It is difficult enough dealing with this type of outlook in a professional setting but in a social settings this can cause even more frustration and negativity towards a positive response.

6 minutes ago, Buckshawlatic said:

As if I needed proof just what a nasty shit hole this place has become 

Don't get disheartened by some of the posters-it needs folk like you and many others to keep posting your views about a football club(and other topics) we all love and want to see survive and then succeed. So keep going and look at the many thousands of posts made by folks despite differing opinions and views done without abuse and often with humour.

• Like 1