Jack Byrne ❤️

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

You need to buy tactically, wait for a lull in the game around 30 mins(the whole game is usually a lull). Look around you for the quickest exit, quickly take exit. 30 mins there isn’t normally much of a que. purchase said pie return to seat (without missing a goal). Most pies take 15 mins to cool, perfect temp for half time.  Eat slowly, 2nd half begins.

Without missing a goal is the easy part.

1 hour ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Bit later I think.

Was it Gary hoolickins?

Do remember Frannie Lee at the Frizz game tripping over the ball at the kick off!

It was against a Manure Xi... I'm sure that Liverpool players including Grobbelaar and Craig Johnston played for the United XI!!! Can't see that having happened often. Worthington apparently always wanted to play for United and was said to gutted to play for Latics that day... I was there anyway, even if my memory is playing tricks now.

Edited by kowenicki'smoustache

20 minutes ago, kowenicki'smoustache said:

It was against a Manure Xi... I'm sure that Liverpool players including Grobbelaar and Craig Johnston played for the United XI!!! Can't see that having happened often. Worthington apparently always wanted to play for United and was said to gutted to play for Latics that day... I was there anyway, even if my memory is playing tricks now.

I too was there and always believed that beardsley played for man u in the match.

i know he only ever played one competitive game for them around same time.

Do remember Frank w scoring in the game.

3 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

I too was there and always believed that beardsley played for man u in the match.

i know he only ever played one competitive game for them around same time.

Do remember Frank w scoring in the game.

Beardsley did play. Had been on loan at ?Carlisle I think. Was disappointed at a reserve team nobody playing!

On 8/24/2018 at 6:13 PM, Smiler13 said:

Why should we move on . We have great memories of great players and teams over the years that have represented OAFC. It’s great that we can reflect and look back on those great players and achievements that is the history of OAFC. Pity is that you are too young to have ever experienced them. Maybe just maybe you might one day . 

We spend too much time looking back when we should be looking forward. 

7 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

We spend too much time looking back when we should be looking forward. 

What is your cut off point? A week ago, a year, five years, ten years, the 50/60 years some of us have been supporters?  Can we not be interested in and proud of our very early history...early success in being league runners up, attracting crowds of over 40000 in the 30s ? 

If you don’t know where you’ve come from it’s difficult to know where you are going to , and why.

2 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

If you don’t know where you’ve come from it’s difficult to know where you are going to , and why.

What an absolute load of tosh. 

You are a pensioner with too much time on your hands and probably spend every morning reading your Daily Mail. 

Forward is the only way to look. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

What is your cut off point? A week ago, a year, five years, ten years, the 50/60 years some of us have been supporters?  Can we not be interested in and proud of our very early history...early success in being league runners up, attracting crowds of over 40000 in the 30s ? 

I've always been interested in the Club's history, and I still remember my late Dad telling me about his attendance at the games in  the 1934-35 season against Newcastle in the League and Sheffield Wednesday in the Cup (record attendance). His description of the different class of Newcastle's Jackie Milburn is still vivid in my memory.

I am fortunate to have 68 years of memories watching Latics and I wouldn't want to erase any of them, even the painful ones.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

We compare every single thing a player or staff member does in the 21st century to people from 30-60 years ago. The game has moved on, about time our fans moved on as well. 

Sometimes a comparison from years ago is relevent. Yes some of the dynamics of football have changed but its still 22 blokes kicking the ball around the pitch using 1 ball and 2 ners to kick it into.

1 hour ago, ChaddySmoker said:

You are a pensioner with too much time on your hands and probably spend every morning reading your Daily Mail. 

While not always agreeing with our more senior posters, Id rather read posts from them comparing today with yesteryear than people who just come on here to bicker and throw insults.

1 hour ago, ChaddySmoker said:

That is nothing more than a straight forward insult aimed at a life long Latics fan who has witnessed, like me and many others, decades of ups, downs, delight and despair. Of course, we all look forward because we all want better times for our club; the club we have loved and supported since we were kids. But we have our memories too, that no one can take away. In 20, 30, 40 years' time when LaticsPete, BP1960 and yours truly will no longer be around, I'm sure you'll  be telling the young whippersnappers in 2048 how much fun you had seeing Latics rise from the obscurity of the 4th division to the promised land again. Or not, as the case may be. In the meantime, be as negative as you want with all things Latics, but slinging insults around to make your point only reflects badly on you, not those you are trying to put down. Think about it next time.

8 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

We compare every single thing a player or staff member does in the 21st century to people from 30-60 years ago. The game has moved on, about time our fans moved on as well. 

Wrong, purely and simply because not "every single thing" is compared to days gone by and certainly not every comparison is to 30 to 60 years ago. Specifics are compared, I agree. In every walk of life, there will be times when each and every one of us thinks or says, "do you remember when"?

Think about these examples for a moment.

1. Placide was slated on here in the second half of last season and constantly compared to Ripley. So the comparison only went back a season
  2. midfielders such as Banks and Flynn, who by popular opinion were pretty rubbish, were regularly compared with the likes of Baxter (ok, he's back now), Kelly et al. That comparison went back two, three, four seasons
  3. go back a little further and think about Joe Colbeck (shudders). How many of us said "if only we had another Andy Liddell, David Eyres, Alan Groves". See, I've just covered 40 decades there, because many of us will have remembered how good those players were in comparison to some we have today.

Trust me, our fans have moved on, for no other reason than they are supporting today's team. It's what we do, no matter what has gone before. So when a comparison is made to another player or incident from a previous era, don't knock it just because you weren't around to witness it. It's all part of our, and the team's history. And as time goes by, we will continue to be part of it, as will you as your life continues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Were you born a bit of a dick or have you just grown into one over time?

Edited by sjk2008
  • Like 1

Back on topic....

It would be awesome to see Byrne and Baxter playing together in this league, they would rip it to pieces!

If i had invested £3 million in this club, i would want to achieve promotion back to league 1 as quick as possible and by whatever means possible.

It is absolute madness to have such a talented player banished from the squad. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Back on topic....

It would be awesome to see Byrne and Baxter playing together in this league, they would rip it to pieces!

If i had invested £3 million in this club, i would want to achieve promotion back to league 1 as quick as possible and by whatever means possible.

They are no Milligan & Henry lol

Sack Bunn he's just someone who used to play for us years and years and years and years ago, long before time begun.

I agree that Byrne would be a great and needed addition to our not too talented squad but not if is heart or head isnt't with us. Its not madness if there are real issues with him and he would be detrimental to the team.

Its sad that this is the situation but it is, Bunn is doing the best with what he has got, and in my eyes they have made a great start considering.

Perhaps some on here need to show some respect towards the club and other fans, always look forward but don't have the narrow mindedness to ignore the history of the club, good or bad, and what that history has played in some of our lives.

I support the club because I was born into a family of supporters who go back long before I can remember who told some wonderful stories of huge crowds and great teams.

I can tell stories of the pinch me years and earlier, those days are gone but I will never forget. Thats why this club means so much to me and other long standing supporters.

Thats why I am not on here every single post trying to find fault or shooting someone down who has the balls to say, things really aren't that bad because its football. It goes round in circles, history has shown that, so on that assumption I always believe at some point our fortunes will improve and some sort of success will come our way again.

Then the younger fans will have their own stories to tell and may understand where us older fans are coming from.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Back on topic....

I agree; Byrne and Baxter would tear this division apart. However, I'm pretty convinced that Byrne's misdemeanours are more serious than most of us believe. I've said elsewhere that I can't accept that he would have been given a (presumably) lucrative contract for the next 2 years just to then get him off the wage bill. It would make no sense. 

If his misbehaviour is such that he has got what he deserves, which I have no doubt the other players are aware of, bringing him back into the squad would undermine morale. Gerrard was shot out of the door for what appears to be much less of a breach of contract, so what message would it send to reinstate Byrne. From my point of view, we're managing without him (yes, we'd be better with him) so let's forget about him playing for us again and do the best we can with what we've got or with who may be coming in.

Its dragged on that long that for him to come back now would be a mistake it could actually undermine the manager right now.

Whatever has happened its a pretty unusual step for our club to take these measures against a player. 

Its a shame as hes one of the most talented players thats played for us over the last decade but he has to go now for everyones sake including his own.

26 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

They are no Milligan & Henry lol

Sack Bunn he's just someone who used to play for us years and years and years and years ago, long before time begun.

I agree that Byrne would be a great and needed addition to our not too talented squad but not if is heart or head isnt't with us. Its not madness if there are real issues with him and he would be detrimental to the team.

Its sad that this is the situation but it is, Bunn is doing the best with what he has got, and in my eyes they have made a great start considering.

Perhaps some on here need to show some respect towards the club and other fans, always look forward but don't have the narrow mindedness to ignore the history of the club, good or bad, and what that history has played in some of our lives.

I support the club because I was born into a family of supporters who go back long before I can remember who told some wonderful stories of huge crowds and great teams.

I can tell stories of the pinch me years and earlier, those days are gone but I will never forget. Thats why this club means so much to me and other long standing supporters.

Thats why I am not on here every single post trying to find fault or shooting someone down who has the balls to say, things really aren't that bad because its football. It goes round in circles, history has shown that, so on that assumption I always believe at some point our fortunes will improve and some sort of success will come our way again.

Then the younger fans will have their own stories to tell and may understand where us older fans are coming from.

Thanks for that Max, next time i am suffering from insomnia i will ask you to recite a story or two :applause1:

Milligan and Henry had Holden and Adams, Baxter and Byrne unfortunately are stuck with Nepo and Branger, bit of a disadvantage there.

For the record, i have no issue with Bunn,he is merely the monkey to Lemsagam's organ grinder as far as this stand off is concerned,