Macclesfield (h)

Im still trying to come to terms with what is defined as a quality side at this level I mean if MK are seen as promotion favourites they arent that good if macc are seen as a team fighting relegation they werent that bad certainly not in the 2nd half. Im still unsure of how we are going to do this season. Although ironically Ive called every result so far in the prediction league.

Edited by GlossopLatic

46 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Im still trying to come to terms with what is defined as a quality side at this level I mean if MK are seen as promotion favourites they arent that good if macc are seen as a team fighting relegation they werent that bad certainly not in the 2nd half. Im still unsure of how we are going to do this season. Although ironically Ive called every result so far in the prediction league.

Hopefully you've called a win at Yeovil?

When I look at the league table there isn’t one big team in there really. When we were in league 1, you had sheff utd, Man City, bolton,  Blackburn, etc. I wasn’t sure how we would do this season, but looking at the table we should really be aiming for top 3!

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

When I look at the league table there isn’t one big team in there really. When we were in league 1, you had sheff utd, Man City, bolton,  Blackburn, etc. I wasn’t sure how we would do this season, but looking at the table we should really be aiming for top 3!

As low as that 

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Club size ≠ squad quality

Slightly baffled following reading some of the posts on here. 3 points and a deserved 3 points at that. Great individual goal from Surridge after Clarke should have put us ahead then looked comfortable. Branger’s goal carried a slight bit of luck but I’m a believer in you create your own luck. Branger has consistently hit it from 25 yards over the last few games so one was bound to fly in and take a nick in his favour.

Now Macc might not have been very good quality wise but they had some massive players. Both centre halves towered above our strikers yet Surridge is 6ft3! They also had Smith and Blisset up top who were a handful albeit poor ability wise so we were always going to struggle with set pieces.

Onto Bunn’s tactics that some have eluded to as being ‘baffling/naive’ - I sat there at 2-1 and feared the worst however I can see what he was doing. He tried to match up the height for set pieces, resulting in replacing Nepo who did okay but nothing more and replaced him with Graham. Thought this worked to be honest as we weathered the direct football they played at 2-1. Then Surridge had to come off as he was flagging, perhaps still not fully fit. Instead of bringing Baxter or Lang on he decided to go for Miller. Again useful in the defending areas when defending set pieces. Also took his goal very well!

All in all, 3 very welcomed points and looked more solid having Clarke and Taylor back in the defensive 4

Onto Tuesday we go

• Like 1

Guest Stanley30
2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Looking at some of your posts I'd have thought you'd never been to any game.

And it’s that kinda response why I can’t be bothered 

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

I think for a team to be a success at this level, you've got to be good at winning ugly - and we certainly did that yesterday.

Nah. Play football for whole games the way we did for a short while either side of Surridge's goal and we'll #walktheleague 

1 hour ago, Stanley30 said:

I’m going and have never been to an away game before so am looking forward to it :)

Yeovil would not be my first choice for an away game but good on you and all the others who make the long trek down there.My sons coach leaves at 1.30pm so won't be back until the early hours.May be I'm a jinx since never won when I've been so should win now☺

2 hours ago, unsworthlatic said:

Slightly baffled following reading some of the posts on here. 

Now Macc might not have been very good quality wise but they had some massive players. They also had Smith and Blisset up top who were a handful albeit poor ability wise

Think you answer your own question, we only just beat a team at home  you describe as not very good quality wise and having two strikers who were poor ability wise. I don’t want to be negative I really don’t and I was delighted we won but I can’t come away from that performance against I would imagine relegation fodder with any kind of positivity. 

28 minutes ago, Horlicks said:

Think you answer your own question, we only just beat a team at home  you describe as not very good quality wise and having two strikers who were poor ability wise. I don’t want to be negative I really don’t and I was delighted we won but I can’t come away from that performance against I would imagine relegation fodder with any kind of positivity. 

We are going to have to deal with the fact that we are a league 2 side now. So teams like Macclesfield will come to us on merit like it or not they wont play particularly good football and many games will be ugly and teams will try and be spoilers.

If we want that to change we have to beat them. Thats not to say every game is going has to be a war of attrition you can play good football and get out of this division. But if you can't win with style win ugly but aslong as you win. The team that always finds a way to win will go up. If we learned to win ugly at the back end of last season we wouldnt even be in this position right now anyway.

Edited by GlossopLatic

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

We did have a dreadful record in the south west at one point infact its been abit of a bogey ground for us yeovil have we ever won there?

We won once on our first visit there in 2005 when Ronnie Moore was in charge.

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Nah. Play football for whole games the way we did for a short while either side of Surridge's goal and we'll #walktheleague 

Whilst I'm not signing up to the hashtag yet, I think we've got good enough players that one piece of real quality could be a step change in this league. Anyone initialed JB could pull the strings to dick over what I've seen so far. Add that and either Coke plays into fitness and form or is replaced and we could be decent

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

I think I can remember a 2-0 with Paul Warne getting at least one, maybe both.

Sure Paul Edwards got sent off as well. One of my first away's that. Freezing cold. One of the last times they let us stand behind the goal.

Been twice since a 2-2 (Terrible scored) and a 0-0 I think, both times sat in that corner of the side stand. 

Would much rather stand behind the goal ..

25 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Sure Paul Edwards got sent off as well. One of my first away's that. Freezing cold. One of the last times they let us stand behind the goal.

Been twice since a 2-2 (Terrible scored) and a 0-0 I think, both times sat in that corner of the side stand. 

Would much rather stand behind the goal ..

They opened a very small section of the standing in 2015.