Macclesfield (h)

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Taylor did well, a bigger concern was Hunt, who failed to go a similar job on the other flank.

How long do we have to persevere with Coke is more concerning.

Coke offers nothing at all, he literally is being carried and doesn't even look arsed most of the time, making Bunn like a bit of a muppet to be honest giving that dead leg chance after chance.

A win  that hopefully starts a winning streak.Glad Clarke is back in alongside George.Apart from a couple of self inflicted scary  moments in the first half the defence looked solid. Some good tackling and passing but needs Baxter ASAP. Up front SS took his goal very well.Our bench seems to have decent players there.

Needed someone on the far post for any tap ins but looking in good shape.Tough away game Tuesday which I can't make it but my son is going so have asked him for a match report.

PS. ..is that a new warm up exercise  with the  bands around the legs?

Weve got to think seriously about bringing in a loan in centre of midfield. I suppose their is a case for bringing in Baxter but part of me would like to see him pushed further forward and given the attacking freedom a player like that needs to go and cause mayhem.

Im satisfied with today their is room for improvement but a win should give everyone some much needed confidence. I think Millers role will be from the bench I think he could be of use from there. I was happy with the shift O'grady put in today he wont score many goals he has no pace but he will the donkey work and if surridge can carry on scoring that might be enough.

Room for improvement but a wins a win.

My take on today's game. A quality goal from Surridge, showed great pace to push it past the defender and then finish it off. The 2nd goal was no more than we deserved after great work by Dan to win the ball back. Their goal from a free kick which the referee chose to ignore the foul on George just before. After that they got their sails up and I thought it was a good substitution to bring big Sam on to combat the high balls being pumped into the box.

For me Gardner was mom and he does the work of 2 in the midfield, O'Grady was useful up front today and had a good understanding with Surridge. We are definitely stronger at the back with Clarke there and once we get our first choice 11 on the pitch we will be fine. 

Thought Gardner actually had a decent game today, especially first-half,  and I’m not a massive fan. His confidence has grown this season in terms of pulling the trigger from outside the box and he made some good forward passes in the opening 45.

Coke is a raffle winner. Would unironically take Whittaker over him - thought he was Macc’s best player by far. His movement going forwards impressed me a lot considering his age.

Not too concerned by Bunn’s demeanour tbh as thankfully Rhodes is very vocal.

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Weve got to think seriously about bringing in a loan in centre of midfield. I suppose their is a case for bringing in Baxter but part of me would like to see him pushed further forward and given the attacking freedom a player like that needs to go and cause mayhem.

Im satisfied with today their is room for improvement but a win should give everyone some much needed confidence. I think Millers role will be from the bench I think he could be of use from there. I was happy with the shift O'grady put in today he wont score many goals he has no pace but he will the donkey work and if surridge can carry on scoring that might be enough.

Room for improvement but a wins a win.

Was just going say about CM options.  Maouche, havent really seen enough of him to say he would be a better option than Coke, Missilou puts himself about and I would play him before Coke.  Problem is Missilous positional sense is lacking and from what I've seen is ala Fane regards cards.  

Where does Uche play?  Is he a CM?  Loan maybe the best option as Baxter is more effective pushed on as you say.

Signs of the coaching taking effect with balls into feet and trying one two's, into space.if we can cut out the Hollywood cross field passes and keep it simple the are signs that we will score goals at this level.

Looked better with Clarke at the heart of the defence .

Taylor good experience but got caught couple of times on his heels and can't turn back as quick so need a a speedy centre back along side him.

Maybe with match fitness this will help.

Still looking forward the Baxter.

Then we will see how good we potentially could be.

3 minutes ago, deckyd said:

Was just going say about CM options.  Maouche, havent really seen enough of him to say he would be a better option than Coke, Missilou puts himself about and I would play him before Coke.  Problem is Missilous positional sense is lacking and from what I've seen is ala Fane regards cards.  

Where does Uche play?  Is he a CM?  Loan maybe the best option as Baxter is more effective pushed on as you say.

Don't know about Uche but we have a lad in the youth's who could do a job, name of Jack Byrne :chubb:

27 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I can’t understand why Baxter did not get game time ? Thought he was unfit not injured ?

28 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I can’t understand why Baxter did not get game time ? Thought he was unfit not injured ?

It's said he needs game time to improve match fitness..yet he didn't get any.  Baffling considering how poor Coke was.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

It's said he needs game time to improve match fitness..yet he didn't get any.  Baffling considering how poor Coke was.

Bunn may have thought he didn't need Baxter and save him for Tuesday.

Probably wouldn't play then if he had figured today, just an idea.

1 minute ago, archiecat said:

Bunn may have thought he didn't need Baxter and save him for Tuesday.

Probably wouldn't play then if he had figured today, just an idea.

We know however Coke will start next Tuesday.

19 minutes ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Signs of the coaching taking effect with balls into feet and trying one two's, into space.if we can cut out the Hollywood cross field passes and keep it simple the are signs that we will score goals at this level.

Looked better with Clarke at the heart of the defence .

Taylor good experience but got caught couple of times on his heels and can't turn back as quick so need a a speedy centre back along side him.

Maybe with match fitness this will help.

Still looking forward the Baxter.

Then we will see how good we potentially could be.

Clarke should never have been sent to Bury l think that cost us league 1 status

2 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

When was the last time we had three goalscorers scoring their first goals for the club in the same game?  I can't imagine it has happened too many times in the past

And Lang could have been brought on to make it 4.

46 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I was told he tweaked a muscle warming up so they didn't  want to risk him.

What a miserable bloody lot we have on here!

Macclesfield only scored because the wall jumped - stupid at that distance from goal but there you have it.  A game where we were the boss of the first half and defended well against their giants in the second.  Referee didn't have a good game ignored their shirt pulling, their barging and gave silly fouls instead.

Surridge did very little and then scored.  Branger is improving and if you don't shoot you don't score.  O'Grady probably his best performance for us.  Gardner gave his usual effort and Coke a more restrained but positionally sound game.  The defence with Clarke looked so much stronger.  Thought Bunn made sensible substitutions at the right time.  An unfit Baxter wouldn't have helped when their aim was route one.

I thought Miller came on to give us more height and surely he defended and then a brilliant piece of work to put the game beyond them.  For his time on he has to score a 10.

We won and on the basis of that will win a lot more.  It has been a long time since the 2nd April.

6 minutes ago, Hands on said:

What a miserable bloody lot we have on here!

Macclesfield only scored because the wall jumped - stupid at that distance from goal but there you have it.  A game where we were the boss of the first half and defended well against their giants in the second.  Referee didn't have a good game ignored their shirt pulling, their barging and gave silly fouls instead.

Surridge did very little and then scored.  Branger is improving and if you don't shoot you don't score.  O'Grady probably his best performance for us.  Gardner gave his usual effort and Coke a more restrained but positionally sound game.  The defence with Clarke looked so much stronger.  Thought Bunn made sensible substitutions at the right time.  An unfit Baxter wouldn't have helped when their aim was route one.

I thought Miller came on to give us more height and surely he defended and then a brilliant piece of work to put the game beyond them.  For his time on he has to score a 10.

We won and on the basis of that will win a lot more.  It has been a long time since the 2nd April.

I thought Latics knocked the ball around quite well in the first half, with Gardner showing some good moves, the goal from Surridge was well crafted and he took his chance. I am not convinced by Coke...whose foul set-up Macc's free kick...and I would like to hear more from Bunn as to what he believes Coke brings to the team. As farcical as the Byrne saga is, he is sorely missed in that midfield. I reckon the nerves set in when Macc scored but it was good to see three players scoring their first goals for Latics. Oh, and welcome back, Clarkey. :D

Thought we played well in the first-half and looked comfortably the better team. We were under the cosh a bit in the second-half until we scored our second, and from then on thought we'd be comfortable... until Coke inexplicably gave away a free-kick on the edge of our area and handed them the initiative. We were hanging on (panicking?) a bit after that really, but dug in quite well. Seemed able to handle their big lump up front quite easily until they brought on a second big lump and then we started to struggle. Suspect that's why Bunn brought Graham on - for a bit of extra height. Thought that was strange at the time, but in hindsight he did okay. Hunt struggled a bit after moving to the right-wing, though. The Miller substituton made sense as he offered something defensively from corners and free-kicks which  Baxter or Lang wouldn't have. His goal was a bonus.

The centre-halves, Taylor, Surridge and O'Grady were the picks of the bunch for me. Gardner was solid, but had his work cut out as Coke was quite poor again. Iversen concerns me a bit. He's a good shot-stopper, but he doesn't command his area at all. At 6'4'' he should really be coming and claiming crosses and corners but he seems rooted to his line which just invites pressure. Definitely something for him/Rhodes to work on.

All-in-all though, a decent performance, albeit against a pretty mediocre Macclesfield team. Good to get three points on the board, and pleased for Frankie to get his first win as a manager - he certainly seems to have the players behind him. Win one of the next two, and it's not a bad start, all things considered. Onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I thought Latics knocked the ball around quite well in the first half, with Gardner showing some good moves, the goal from Surridge was well crafted and he took his chance. I am not convinced by Coke...whose foul set-up Macc's free kick...and I would like to hear more from Bunn as to what he believes Coke brings to the team. As farcical as the Byrne saga is, he is sorely missed in that midfield. I reckon the nerves set in when Macc scored but it was good to see three players scoring their first goals for Latics. Oh, and welcome back, Clarkey. :D

It went round the wall not under it

waa sat right behind it in the rre