Macclesfield (h)

44 minutes ago, stevesidg said:
1 hour ago, OneSizeFitz said:
1 hour ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Thought we played well in the first-half and looked comfortably the better team. We were under the cosh a bit in the second-half until we scored our second, and from then on thought we'd be comfortable... until Coke inexplicably gave away a free-kick on the edge of our area and handed them the initiative. We were hanging on (panicking?) a bit after that really, but dug in quite well. Seemed able to handle their big lump up front quite easily until they brought on a second big lump and then we started to struggle. Suspect that's why Bunn brought Graham on - for a bit of extra height. Thought that was strange at the time, but in hindsight he did okay. Hunt struggled a bit after moving to the right-wing, though. The Miller substituton made sense as he offered something defensively from corners and free-kicks which  Baxter or Lang wouldn't have. His goal was a bonus.

The centre-halves, Taylor, Surridge and O'Grady were the picks of the bunch for me. Gardner was solid, but had his work cut out as Coke was quite poor again. Iversen concerns me a bit. He's a good shot-stopper, but he doesn't command his area at all. At 6'4'' he should really be coming and claiming crosses and corners but he seems rooted to his line which just invites pressure. Definitely something for him/Rhodes to work on.

All-in-all though, a decent performance, albeit against a pretty mediocre Macclesfield team. Good to get three points on the board, and pleased for Frankie to get his first win as a manager - he certainly seems to have the players behind him. Win one of the next two, and it's not a bad start, all things considered. Onwards and upwards!

Nope not having it Iverson looks like a quality prospect

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

First half we were good. Second half not so much.  We haven’t been able to field our best 11 yet and it’s certainly not been a settled start.  Onwards and upwards.   I’ve seen flashes of some good play. We have a proper striker it seems and the defence looked much better today.

So yes, I’m very positive.   Your wisdom now please. 

"Your wisdom now please" Why do you have to be confrontational ? It is only Archie's opinion on a football match.

My biggest concern is that frankie is like a championship manager (the game) and is playing coke as he signed him! The rest can be sorted dumingham Clarke Taylor Edmundson Hamer etc strong at the back mid needs a bit more uo front two young hungry strikers feeding of two expedited lumps. We’re not far off

1 minute ago, laticsmarra said:

Not sure where that result leaves us in prospects for the season. The standard of football for sure is a step down from the previous 20 odd years. Can we rise above it and get promoted ?

We played some decent stuff in the first half. 

Thought first half we were totally dominant. Branger, Gardner, Clarke, Taylor really got us moving. Even though I’m not a fan Coke for me had a very good first half by keeping things simple and winning a lot of headers in the middle. Second half he was non existant the game was crying out for a ball winning midfielder second half and we don’t appear to have one. 

Iverson is a great reaction shot stopper but should be controlling his penalty area a lot better. Won’t move of his line and when he challenged for the ball today looked weak. His kicking was very poor. 

Overall it was progress. Considering Clarke,Taylor, Surridge hadn’t trained much recently they looked like they hadn’t been away. Surridge looked like he was never going to miss when he went through 1v1. Him and COG linked up surprisingly well. COG doing a lot more running today than in previous games. 

Think we need another winger before the transfer window closes as when Nepo went off we looked lost without two outlets 

Wins are what we need and what we got. Onto the next. ?

Edited by adamoafc

6 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Thought first half we were totally dominant. Branger, Gardner, Clarke, Taylor really got us moving. Even though I’m not a fan Coke for me had a very good first half by keeping things simple and winning a lot of headers in the middle. Second half he was non existant the game was crying out for a ball winning midfielder second half and we don’t appear to have one. 

Iverson is a great reaction shot stopper but should be controlling his penalty area a lot better. Won’t move of his line and when he challenged for the ball today looked weak. His kicking was very poor. 

Overall it was progress. Considering Clarke,Taylor, Surridge hadn’t trained much recently they looked like they hadn’t been away.

Think we need another winger before the transfer window closes as when Nepo went off we looked lost without two outlets 

Wins are what we need and what we got. Onto the next. ?

Coke is a bag of shit!

8 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Thanks for that great analysis. What did he do wrong first half? 

Sorry I’m drunk but... what did he do? I don’t own a season ticket! But I went both home games payed full price not booking on line. Which I did many a time last season paying full price. I saw his partner doing the same role (apparently) Gardner all over the pitch! Creating chances getting stuck in. I didn’t see coke do anything, like the first game of the season I’m sorry but he’s terrible worse than banks! What did i see?

35 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Nope not having it Iverson looks like a quality prospect

He can be a prospect and still have things to work on... if he starts to command his area properly I think he could be quite good. But there's a reason he's currently playing in League Two.

6 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

I'm not suggesting we don't need to upgrade and he couldn't get any worse but Coke's performance was better. Won a fair few headers and looked tidy first half.

It's the 2 year deal I can't fathom. 

Agree completely. Like I say I’m not a fan of his but first half he was didn’t put a foot wrong. Nothing to really test him granted.  Strange to give him a 2 yr deal though. 

15 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

I'm not suggesting we don't need to upgrade and he couldn't get any worse but Coke's performance was better. Won a fair few headers and looked tidy first half.

Maybe he’s cheap?

Can’t imagine he’s on a wedge with his injury record, and who we signed him from. 

1 hour ago, welshgaz said:

Tbf, we played well as a team in the first half and Coke did win a fair few headers; but they went 20 metres vertically and on numerous occasions he failed to trap the ball on a pitch that could comfortably deaden the impact of a 747 on one engine and no landing gear.

3 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

He can be a prospect and still have things to work on... if he starts to command his area properly I think he could be quite good. But there's a reason he's currently playing in League Two.

Huh? He’s just signed an extension of four years to his contract with a prem team.  He’s a young keeper learning his trade and is the under 21 keeper for his country. 

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

Thought Gardner actually had a decent game today, especially first-half,  and I’m not a massive fan. His confidence has grown this season in terms of pulling the trigger from outside the box and he made some good forward passes in the opening 45.

Coke is a raffle winner. Would unironically take Whittaker over him - thought he was Macc’s best player by far. His movement going forwards impressed me a lot considering his age.

Not too concerned by Bunn’s demeanour tbh as thankfully Rhodes is very vocal.

I thought Gardner played some rather risky balls in defence, he can over complicate things at times, maybe there is no one working off him, he played three very loose balls in the first half when he could have played a simple clearance, he's far better when he's farther up field, other than that he played very well. Surridge  in the opening 15 minutes showed some great pace and they didn't know how to handle him, he will be a very good player. Miller when fully match fit will be a beast in this division. Iverson again is a very promising goalkeeper, his main weakness being distribution  ( Jonny spoiled us last season for distribution ). Overhaul a better game then of late against a very poor team, perhaps the worst team that I've seen in many a year!

10 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Huh? He’s just signed an extension of four years to his contract with a prem team.  He’s a young keeper learning his trade and is the under 21 keeper for his country. 

...and none of those things contradict anything I've said.

[Though it was a two-year extension (2019 -> 2021) not a four-year (https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/daniel-iversen-signs-new-leicester-1827977)]

If he wants to play regularly at the top-level, he needs to work on commanding his area and actually coming to collect crosses rather than staying on his line. And his distribution needs to improve.

That's not to say he isn't a prospect - he's only 21. And also not to say that he isn't good enough for our level at the moment. But there were times yesterday when his hesitancy nearly cost us, and that's not something we should ignore just because he's a good shot-stopper and comes with a decent reputation.

19 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

...and none of those things contradict anything I've said.

[Though it was a two-year extension (2019 -> 2021) not a four-year (https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/daniel-iversen-signs-new-leicester-1827977)]

If he wants to play regularly at the top-level, he needs to work on commanding his area and actually coming to collect crosses rather than staying on his line. And his distribution needs to improve.

That's not to say he isn't a prospect - he's only 21. And also not to say that he isn't good enough for our level at the moment. But there were times yesterday when his hesitancy nearly cost us, and that's not something we should ignore just because he's a good shot-stopper and comes with a decent reputation.

That Etheridge lad who plenty gave pelters to on here a few seasons ago what ever happened to him..... 

Lads played four games for us and kept us in a couple of them, I'm prepared to give him a bit more time to settle in.

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

That Etheridge lad who plenty gave pelters to on here a few seasons ago what ever happened to him..... 

Lads played four games for us and kept us in a couple of them, I'm prepared to give him a bit more time to settle in.

He was shit at taking penalties 

26 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I actually thought he was a decent keeper, we had Rachubka at the time so he didn’t get a look in. Just shit at penalties, think that ball is still in orbit somewhere.

6 hours ago, paw4 said:

I thought Gardner played some rather risky balls in defence, he can over complicate things at times, maybe there is no one working off him, he played three very loose balls in the first half when he could have played a simple clearance, he's far better when he's farther up field, other than that he played very well. Surridge  in the opening 15 minutes showed some great pace and they didn't know how to handle him, he will be a very good player. Miller when fully match fit will be a beast in this division. Iverson again is a very promising goalkeeper, his main weakness being distribution  ( Jonny spoiled us last season for distribution ). Overhaul a better game then of late against a very poor team, perhaps the worst team that I've seen in many a year!

I know it's a long time since we were at this level, but from what I remember there were some terrible teams in the division. L1 teams are pretty similar apart from the odd team at the top like Wolves when they got promoted.