Swindon Town (A)

37 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

I can’t understand how anyone can have formed a negative opinion at this stage. He’s a new manager, in his first job, taking on a club immediately after relegation. We’ve got 16 points from the first 10 games, four clean sheets and remain unbeaten away from home. 

On what basis are you (and others) not a fan?

But...but...but....we would walk this division if we still had that player from last season, doncha know!!! AND it's all the fault of that dastardly chairperson.

Edited by mikejh45

8 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

And how do you arrive at that conclusion ?

To be fair, a perceptive comment by archie c. We were absolutely lacking in ambition against a poor team today. I gave away 4 hours of my life (far less than those who travelled from Oldham) and £23 to watch an absolutely dire game of football.

It is not just at the Prima Donna level that football is dying. More games like this and it deserves to. Two teams near the top of the table, hard to say which was worse.

8 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Yeah. Fancy picking three forwards ?. Bunn out.

O'Grady can be described as a forward, perhaps, if by that you mean he tends to stand in the opposition half. That is about all he does. There are also two corner flags in the opposition half and I'd say both were maybe more mobile than he was this afternoon.

51 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

On what basis are you (and others) not a fan?

I personally think he's brought some very poor players in and tactically is very one dimensional, as the weeks go on teams will suss us out, our home form is particularly poor and it appears we will continue to approach games in the same predictable way playing players out of position with little sign of an attempt to play any other way than a rigid 4-4-2 despite having one of the most gifted footballers in the division on the bench week in, week out.

Of course there are positives but it doesn't mean we can't discuss any negatives.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Unbeaten away still. 

Swindon have scored in every league game this season before today. 

Robbed at the end. 

Have to be a miserable twat to be unhappy with a point here. 

OK, miserable twat here. I spent 2 hours on the road - far less than most who travelled from Oldham to be fair - and forked out £23 for a match that was absolutely devoid of entertainment.

It was obvious after 15 mins that Swindon were a distinctly average team and that with just a hint of ambition 3 points were there for the taking. With COG and Miller up front - Bunn and Rhodes would hardly have been less mobile - we never looked like scoring.

This is not good enough. The other 411 who travelled today deserve to be entertained (I don't get to many games these days, so will take the punishment). Much more of this and, God help me, I'll be tempted to side with Kusunga, Archie & co. 

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

To be fair, a perceptive comment by archie c. We were absolutely lacking in ambition against a poor team today. I gave away 4 hours of my life (far less than those who travelled from Oldham) and £23 to watch an absolutely dire game of football.

It is not just at the Prima Donna level that football is dying. More games like this and it deserves to. Two teams near the top of the table, hard to say which was worse.

This!

It was pretty awful to watch today, we didn’t just come for a point, we came for 0-0, in fact both teams could have played rush keeper and it still might have finished 0-0

At the end, Bunn is celebrating like its a big point won, he may be a Latics legend but he’s mildly delusional.

Iverson - 0-10 you pick as I don’t think he touched the ball 

Taylor - 6 somewhere between ok and meh

Clarke - 7 MOM, anticipated everything 

Edmundson - 7 learning from Clarke!

Hunt - 7 solid as usual and did well against their giant wide player

Branger - 4 what exactly does he do? (Replaced by Dummy, thank the lord he’s back)

Missilou - 5 ok but no contribution to our forward play...although might have won it at the end, tripped when clean through

Lang - 4 a few nice touches but absolutely zero end product

Gardner - 6 ususal good effort but no decent link up play with the forward line

OGrady - 4 Bunn obviously loves him but without Sturbridge or other mobile forward he offers next to nothing

Miller - 4 as with OGrady, offers very little and they made a terrible pairing

subs; Baxter - 5 looked knackered but would still rather see him playing

Dummy - 7 welcome back lad! (He and Hunt could be a brilliant right side pairing at this level)

Neppo - hard to judge on 60 seconds :)

All in all, left frustrated at our lack of desire to win 3 points against yet another very ordinary team

.......and George? What a plonker, thrown before half time for his over aggressive behaviour and then in handcuffs after the game because he was still trying to scrap with the stewards...brilliant !!!!

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

O'Grady can be described as a forward, perhaps, if by that you mean he tends to stand in the opposition half. That is about all he does. There are also two corner flags in the opposition half and I'd say both were maybe more mobile than he was this afternoon.

I cannot comment on his performance today but to suggest all COG does is stand in the opposition half is nonsense.

His build up play has been excellent this season and has been key to a number of goals and opportunities. The issue is that we are undoubtedly exposed when there isn't someone to put the ball in the back of the net ( and the question in turn therefore is his wage better used on someone who may score in Surridge's absence) but to dismiss COG's contributions altogether is foolish in my book.

19 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

I cannot comment on his performance today but to suggest all COG does is stand in the opposition half is nonsense.

His build up play has been excellent this season and has been key to a number of goals and opportunities. The issue is that we are undoubtedly exposed when there isn't someone to put the ball in the back of the net ( and the question in turn therefore is his wage better used on someone who may score in Surridge's absence) but to dismiss COG's contributions altogether is foolish in my book.

To pick him blindly when he obviously contributes very little could be seen as even more foolish. He's garbage and somehow is taking some credit for us having an exciting prospect on our hands in Surridge. If he's so great a player how come he has zero effect on a game when Surridge isn't in the starting eleven? It's not the first time he's been piss poor without the young lad next to him yet somehow he's one of the first names on the team sheet. 

42 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Didn't start Baxter again I see. Baffling. 

I would like to know from Bunn why he can’t get in the side. 

I think Bunn has made a very solid start, but the non inclusion of Baxter is becoming a big worry. Using his fitness is wearing very thin now. Even I could of got fit in four months. If he’s on the bench, surely he’s fit to play??? He’s made every squad for weeks now, but hardly features. When he does play- he runs the show. So why not play him???

It can only be tactical. ?

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

To pick him blindly when he obviously contributes very little could be seen as even more foolish. He's garbage and somehow is taking some credit for us having an exciting prospect on our hands in Surridge. If he's so great a player how come he has zero effect on a game when Surridge isn't in the starting eleven? It's not the first time he's been piss poor without the young lad next to him yet somehow he's one of the first names on the team sheet. 

Because. 

A. He’s Bunn type-  honest grafter.

B. It’s obvious Bunn wants a target man- and he’s the best we’ve got in that role. 

You make not like it, but that’s why he plays every week. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

I would like to know from Bunn why he can’t get in the side. 

I think Bunn has made a very solid start, but the non inclusion of Baxter is becoming a big worry. Using his fitness is wearing very thin now. Even I could of got fit in four months. If he’s on the bench, surely he’s fit to play??? He’s made every squad for weeks now, but hardly features. When he does play- he runs the show. So why not play him???

It can only be tactical. ?

From what I have seen of Baxter this season he has the mind and technical ability of a player way above this division however he has the legs and Energy of a clapped out 38 year old on his last pay day. 

Now I know Jose is not the type of guy who spends the whole game working the channels but the likes of Peter Clarke and O'grady are probably alot fitter than him amd they are 36 and 32 respectively effectively on their way down and hes what 26 in what should be his physical prime that should be embarrassing for him. He probably finishes last in every fitness drill they do. If he was alot fitter he would wipe the floor with everyone in this division.

Edited by GlossopLatic

7 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

OK, miserable twat here. I spent 2 hours on the road - far less than most who travelled from Oldham to be fair - and forked out £23 for a match that was absolutely devoid of entertainment.

It was obvious after 15 mins that Swindon were a distinctly average team and that with just a hint of ambition 3 points were there for the taking. With COG and Miller up front - Bunn and Rhodes would hardly have been less mobile - we never looked like scoring.

This is not good enough. The other 411 who travelled today deserve to be entertained (I don't get to many games these days, so will take the punishment). Much more of this and, God help me, I'll be tempted to side with Kusunga, Archie & co. 

I don’t get to many matches either,I feel your pain Owll. However, when I get back from a game and Mrs 4oaks asks me about my day I always say I loved it,  and I usually say the game was dreadful. 

The physical action of supporting the team is what I enjoy, the standard of football or style is not really relevant any more. we are very small team in a very poor league,  We need to understand that the players are, on the whole , fairly average ( that’s why they play for Oldham) . Themamagement team too are not in the Klopp bracket ( that’s why they manage at league 4  level) but their hearts are in the right place. As long as Bunn et al get the players collecting points and more or less on the right path that’s all I can expect.

the other thing that I now understand - but it has taken me years .... the players will never really care as much as me . It’s their job.

I go to the football because I love it, it’s a release which I couldn’t live without. I’m can appreciate good football I love watching it too....but I support Oldham !  

• Like 1

Just now, Monty Burns said:

This is fuckin brilliant ???

Classic example of psychological projection engagement anxiety.

Use multisyllabic words if you like pal to try to sound clever. I don't know if you went to the game or not. It was sheer rubbish, and if you think the game in general is in good health you're the anxious one.

48 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Use multisyllabic words if you like pal to try to sound clever. I don't know if you went to the game or not. It was sheer rubbish, and if you think the game in general is in good health you're the anxious one.

It could be better it could be worse but to say football is dying is just total rubbish