Swindon Town (A)

1 hour ago, 4oakslatic said:

I don’t get to many matches either,I feel your pain Owll. However, when I get back from a game and Mrs 4oaks asks me about my day I always say I loved it,  and I usually say the game was dreadful. 

The physical action of supporting the team is what I enjoy, the standard of football or style is not really relevant any more. we are very small team in a very poor league,  We need to understand that the players are, on the whole , fairly average ( that’s why they play for Oldham) . Themamagement team too are not in the Klopp bracket ( that’s why they manage at league 4  level) but their hearts are in the right place. As long as Bunn et al get the players collecting points and more or less on the right path that’s all I can expect.

the other thing that I now understand - but it has taken me years .... the players will never really care as much as me . It’s their job.

I go to the football because I love it, it’s a release which I couldn’t live without. I’m can appreciate good football I love watching it too....but I support Oldham !  

Pretty much this for me. Supporting my team, especially away is usually a good day out and in most cases partly ruined by the 90 minutes of football in the middle. The dire nil nils and the thumpings are all too often, but I keep going because they are my team and I like to get out of Oldham (or in my case these days Rochdale) for the day. Ps I haven’t seen us win away for almost three years ?

After 10 games we are 6th with 16 points and a healthy positive goal difference (for the first time forever).  We are still unbeaten away and looking upward.  

After 10 games last season we were adrift on 7 points with a -10 goal diff and looking clueless... the same manager (now in our league) is currently 11th after two consecutive home defeats, with a negative goal diff. 

But Bunn is “clueless” and the other bloke is the second coming of Christ?

Some strange people around.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

After 10 games we are 6th with 16 points and a healthy positive goal difference (for the first time forever).  We are still unbeaten away and looking upward.  

After 10 games last season we were adrift on 7 points with a -10 goal diff and looking clueless... the same manager (now in our league) is currently 11th after two consecutive home defeats, with a negative goal diff. 

But Bunn is “clueless” and the other bloke is the second coming of Christ?

Some strange people around.

Rather different circumstances between the two to be fair...

11 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

This!

It was pretty awful to watch today, we didn’t just come for a point, we came for 0-0, in fact both teams could have played rush keeper and it still might have finished 0-0

At the end, Bunn is celebrating like its a big point won, he may be a Latics legend but he’s mildly delusional.

Iverson - 0-10 you pick as I don’t think he touched the ball 

Taylor - 6 somewhere between ok and meh

Clarke - 7 MOM, anticipated everything 

Edmundson - 7 learning from Clarke!

Hunt - 7 solid as usual and did well against their giant wide player

Branger - 4 what exactly does he do? (Replaced by Dummy, thank the lord he’s back)

Missilou - 5 ok but no contribution to our forward play...although might have won it at the end, tripped when clean through

Lang - 4 a few nice touches but absolutely zero end product

Gardner - 6 ususal good effort but no decent link up play with the forward line

OGrady - 4 Bunn obviously loves him but without Sturbridge or other mobile forward he offers next to nothing

Miller - 4 as with OGrady, offers very little and they made a terrible pairing

subs; Baxter - 5 looked knackered but would still rather see him playing

Dummy - 7 welcome back lad! (He and Hunt could be a brilliant right side pairing at this level)

Neppo - hard to judge on 60 seconds :)

All in all, left frustrated at our lack of desire to win 3 points against yet another very ordinary team

.......and George? What a plonker, thrown before half time for his over aggressive behaviour and then in handcuffs after the game because he was still trying to scrap with the stewards...brilliant !!!!

What has struck me about this season is the poor standard of football that I have seen so far. Once again too many players simply cannot do the basics. Whether that is down to poor technical skills, lack of confidence or inadequate coaching, I saw another uninspiring game of football yesterday.

We are an average side in an average division. 

Not sure that I agree with all of your player ratings though Mr Rich.

Defensively we were sound and put bodies on the line. All of the back five had decent games.

Missilou also was effective in what he does.

All your other assessments are spot on with, for me, one exception, Miller.

If you accept that he has lost much of his pace, his overall game was good. 

The real concern I have is that Baxter is not getting back to anywhere near what he is capable of - once again he looked slow when he came on. 

Frankie Bunn said before the game that this squad is capable of so much more, I think it’s time that he demanded more from them.

35 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

What has struck me about this season is the poor standard of football that I have seen so far. Once again too many players simply cannot do the basics. Whether that is down to poor technical skills, lack of confidence or inadequate coaching, I saw another uninspiring game of football yesterday.

We are an average side in an average division. 

Not sure that I agree with all of your player ratings though Mr Rich.

Defensively we were sound and put bodies on the line. All of the back five had decent games.

Missilou also was effective in what he does.

All your other assessments are spot on with, for me, one exception, Miller.

If you accept that he has lost much of his pace, his overall game was good. 

The real concern I have is that Baxter is not getting back to anywhere near what he is capable of - once again he looked slow when he came on. 

Frankie Bunn said before the game that this squad is capable of so much more, I think it’s time that he demanded more from them.

I'd be interested to know who is capable of doing much more...

10 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

From what I have seen of Baxter this season he has the mind and technical ability of a player way above this division however he has the legs and Energy of a clapped out 38 year old on his last pay day. 

Now I know Jose is not the type of guy who spends the whole game working the channels but the likes of Peter Clarke and O'grady are probably alot fitter than him amd they are 36 and 32 respectively effectively on their way down and hes what 26 in what should be his physical prime that should be embarrassing for him. He probably finishes last in every fitness drill they do. If he was alot fitter he would wipe the floor with everyone in this division.

From what I’ve seen his ‘clapped out 38 year old legs’ have still run the show whenever he has come on. They didn’t look clapped out when he scored his late header at Grimsby.  I see you went past my point that he’s in every squad- if he  ‘finishes last in every training drill’ then why put him in the squad? Sounds like your saying he’s not puttting it in- would that last under this regime? 

You make it sound like he’s shot at 26. With no way to regain his fitness. Well if that’s the case we might as release him then. .

I refuse to believe that after four months at the club, without injury and being named in every squad he can’t play 60 minutes at least. 

UNLESS- He is reasonably fit, but Bunn can’t him fit him into his style of play. Which is extremely depressing. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Trying to compare two different managers in two different seasons with two different squads doesn't seem very fair to me, Bunn had a much quieter summer to work in than Sheridan had.

You're missing my point. Perhaps deliberately. 

I’m criticising the hyperbole evident amongst some of the posts here.

The reality is that Sheridan is a hit and miss manager whose influence over players seems to wane over time and Bunn is a rookie manager (despite his age) who is doing quite well.  

So Bunn isn’t clueless and Sheridan isn’t Christ.

Sheridan may have been doing worse or better with this squad.  But doing  better would have by no means been guaranteed.  

I’ll concede that both are better than that Manc we recently endured... but my dead cat would have been better than that fool. 

20 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

You're missing my point. Perhaps deliberately. 

I’m criticising the hyperbole evident amongst some of the posts here.

The reality is that Sheridan is a hit and miss manager whose influence over players seems to wane over time and Bunn is a rookie manager (despite his age) who is doing quite well.  

So Bunn isn’t clueless and Sheridan isn’t Christ.

Sheridan may have been doing worse or better with this squad.  But doing  better would have by no means been guaranteed.  

I’ll concede that both are better than that Manc we recently endured... but my dead cat would have been better than that fool. 

Sheridan proven his worth over long period of time.

There are literally no expectations on Bunn which makes his uninspiring tactics all the more disappointing.

43 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sheridan proven his worth over long period of time.

There are literally no expectations on Bunn which makes his uninspiring tactics all the more disappointing.

Well, like I said he’s proved he is hit and miss actually. 

As for Bunn, right now...

Promotion >>>>>>> Inspiration

Can be as pragmatic as he likes to get us out of this league for me.

Edited by kowenicki

I honestly don't think we went there for a draw, 0-0 or otherwise. The problem for me was that we had no creative spark in midfield, coupled with the fact that we did the more intricate stuff ok (close passing in diamonds to get out of trouble or to make headway) but then could find the all important pass. It was either over- or under-hit and freely given away. 

Gardner and Lang were classic examples of this; neat intricate ball control, find a team mate, get it back, move it on, leave an opposition player going the wrong way then waste the final ball. It happened so many times, it was frustrating to watch. Defensively, we were mostly ok apart from a a couple of brain fart moments but, to be honest, Swindon only had real chances when we gave it to them.

We should have won it right at the end when from the free kick after Missilou was brought down. O'Grady followed up Baxter's partially saved header and should have buried it. All in all, though, I thought a draw was a reasonable result. We're the first team to stop them scoring this season and point with a clean sheet away from home isn't to be sniffed at.

It wasn't great, Surridge was a big miss, and there is room for a lot of improvement, but keep this sort of points collecting up until New Year and a new signing or two should see us right.

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Well, like I said he’s proved he is hit and miss actually. 

As for Bunn, right now...

Promotion >>>>>>> Inspiration

Can be as pragmatic as he likes to get us out of this league for me.

Think you have to win promotion to justify playing in this manner, big pressure he has placed upon himself.

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

It could be better it could be worse but to say football is dying is just total rubbish

The game that I knew and grew up with in the 70s and 80s is dying. Too much money at the top tier, and teams in L1 and L2 living a hand to mouth existence. Pitifully small crowds. Too much sideways/backwards passing at all levels with too little attacking/entertaining football. If you want to fork out £23 to watch 22 mostly very fit blokes running around on a pitch, with no goals and hardly a suggestion of one, fine.

Yesterday we defended superbly and put bodies on the line with tackles and blocks again and again. All good. The team spirit is also clearly excellent. But we give the ball away far too much and, without Surridge, are devoid of an attacking threat.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

The game that I knew and grew up with in the 70s and 80s is dying. Too much money at the top tier, and teams in L1 and L2 living a hand to mouth existence. Pitifully small crowds. Too much sideways/backwards passing at all levels with too little attacking/entertaining football. If you want to fork out £23 to watch 22 mostly very fit blokes running around on a pitch, with no goals and hardly a suggestion of one, fine.

Yesterday we defended superbly and put bodies on the line with tackles and blocks again and again. All good. The team spirit is also clearly excellent. But we give the ball away far too much and, without Surridge, are devoid of an attacking threat.

With due respect that sounds a little bit like the rantings of an embittened old man "Why today stinks"

After spending yesterday mowing the lawn which was more appealing and alot cheaper than going to Swindon I sat down and watched a few old editions of saint and greavsie on youtube from the late 80's and early 90's it was quite refreshing to see someone like Jimmy Greaves who actually knew about football in all 4 divisions. Soccer saturday is good in a way but the pundits on there no nothing about anything outside the premier league. But dont forget in the 70's and 80's football had chronic levels of terrace violence and death trap stadiums we had Heysel the Bradford Fire and Hillsborough. The clips of football werent thst grest either with due respect. It would be wrong to suggest everything today is better but suggesting its dying thats wrong.

Back to today (or more accurately yesterday) I agree with you on how relient we are currently on Surridge for goals at the moment its concerning. If hes out on tuesday then Id like to give Lang a go uptop and bring in Nepo wide. I think Langs a good footballer but he looks abit what some would call "lightweight" at times but with O'grady playing alongside him that will help in that department. If Baxter ever gets fully fit Id like to see him given a go playing off Surridge at some point. The issue here though is getting Baxter fitter though which Ive stated further up. Right now he appears only fit enough to play the role of impact sub.

Edited by GlossopLatic

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Think you have to win promotion to justify playing in this manner, big pressure he has placed upon himself.

Come on now, he’s hardly put “big pressure” on himself.

We’re ticking along in a play-off place, playing on what we gather to be a modest budget. 

23 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

Come on now, he’s hardly put “big pressure” on himself.

We’re ticking along in a play-off place, playing on what we gather to be a modest budget. 

Ticking along is a fair assessment but even though we are only four points of automatic promotion we lie two points ahead of 16th.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Ticking along is a fair assessment but even though we are only four points of automatic promotion we lie two points ahead of 16th.

Which absolutely confirms that the division is much of a muchness.  We've got no right to think we should break out of it; we have the 11th highest home attendance so on that basis we are punching above our weight.  It's as good a measure as any given we have little idea where our budget sits.

18 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

From what I have seen of Baxter this season he has the mind and technical ability of a player way above this division however he has the legs and Energy of a clapped out 38 year old on his last pay day. 

I've been surprised & impressed by how much running Baxter does and how much effort he puts in - is GlossopLatic exhibiting lazy thinking just because JB's been out for so long or am I losing the plot? 

Edited by HarryBosch

48 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I've been surprised & impressed by how much running Baxter does and how much effort he puts in - is GlossopLatic exhibiting lazy thinking just because JB's been out for so long or am I losing the plot? 

Its on the observation from what Ive seen which is the home games he doesnt do as much running as he could do. Not as much as Garderner or Missilou who play centre mid where he could play or O'Grady or Surridge upfront where he could also play or atleast replace in the team right now, that might change in the future  

Why do you think the manager who has seen him train everyday for the last 3 months isnt picking him right now?