Swindon Town (A)

Too much to expect Surridge to be up top on his own and it would take a percentage off his game, this lad is scoring goals so don't change up top, he needs a partner to feed off and to do the dirty work,  i.e COG.

I would like to see 352 if we could rely on the wing backs, if not stick to 442 and stay solid whilst keeping two up top.

Edited by maximus1267

Just now, maximus1267 said:

Too much to expect Surridge to be up top on his own and it would take a percentage off his game, this lad is scoring goals so don't change up top, he needs a partner to feed off and to do the dirty work,  i.e COG.

I would like to see 452 if we could rely on the wing backs, if not stick to 442 and stay solid whilst keeping two up top.

No keeper? Asking a lot of the defence that . 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

He was a token signing to quell fan unrest, I don't think Bunn has any intention of finding a starting place for him.

I think there might be some truth in this. Barry Owen was a driving force in this signing and I can't see where he fits into Bunn's hoofball...

4 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Ive also seen nothing in any team we have played that doesn't make me think we shouldnt be aiming for automatic.

8 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Most years! The league looks weaker this year than most, so could be fewer than usual needed.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Indeed it could and I dont think it require too much adaptation for the rest of the team but to be fair when he comes on he usually goes to centre mid in a 4-4-2 so I disagree when you say he cant play in a 4-4-2.

Wouldnt it be a rather strange move for a manager to turn to a player he doesnt fancy most weeks and ask him to come on and change the game? If he didnt fancy him surely he wouldnt get on the pitch.

There is difference between asking someone to play a cameo for 10 minutes, and trusting them to start a game. 

Our team is full hard working honest grafters- and Surridge. 

The only maverick we have, gets 10/15 minutes if that. 

I genuinely thought he was wrapping him in cotton at first, and easing him in. However it’s October now, an that notion is well past it’s sell by date. 

He doesn’t trust him to start IMO. 

26 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We are not going to be playing Morecambe and Grimsby away all season though.

Slightly selective. 

As it stands right now, we havd played 6 teams from the top 12 and 4 teams from the bottom 12. 

• Like 1

League positions at the moment are not too relevant, there are 12 teams separated by 2 points occupying positions 5 to 16.

Looking at recent form, over the last 5 games there are 7 teams who have picked up more points and 4 that have equalled us with an 8 point return.

So, at the moment we are playing at just over mid table level,should we fail to pick up at least 3 points from the next two games we could conceivably be looking at a league position in the early teens.

Fortunately as a defensive unit we are relatively tight but we definitely need to up our goal scoring tally to avoid becoming detatched from the top 4 teams,who are 4 of the 5 form teams at this time.

it's all well and good Frankie saying there is more to come ( we need to see it,not just be told ) and people here claiming that we have exceeded expectations, all depends what you expect doesn't it?

I Expect us to challenge for the top 3 places,it's all about having the desire to win and not just to accept the average.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

There is difference between asking someone to play a cameo for 10 minutes, and trusting them to start a game. 

Our team is full hard working honest grafters- and Surridge. 

The only maverick we have, gets 10/15 minutes if that. 

I genuinely thought he was wrapping him in cotton at first, and easing him in. However it’s October now, an that notion is well past it’s sell by date. 

He doesn’t trust him to start IMO. 

Isnt their a case to say that Baxter has to adapt his game here. If he wants Bunns trust he needs to do more of the grafting aspect of his game before he gets a start.

I do believe he is capable of doing that and that it doesnt mean he has to sacrifice any of his flair on the ball.

Im not questioning his attitude here I see a committed player. I just think he will need to add abit more running power to his game before he gets a start. However its early days still and I wouldnt be surprised if we see him get a string of starts fairly soon.

Edited by GlossopLatic

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Isnt their a case to say that Baxter has to adapt his game here. If he wants Bunns trust he needs to do more of the grafting aspect of his game before he gets a start.

I do believe he is capable of doing that and that it doesnt mean he has to sacrifice any of his flair on the ball.

Im not questioning his attitude here I see a committed player. I just think he will need to add abit more running power to his game before he gets a start. However its early days still and I wouldnt be surprised if we see him get a string of starts fairly soon.

It’s a good point. 

Maybe there is a mild stand off between what Bunn wants, and what Baxter feels he can offer. I think it’s telling that Bunn didn’t sign him. Managers aren’t generally great with having players signed without there say. Particularly if said player doesn’t suit how the manger wants to play. 

FWIW I wouldn’t be asking Baxter to adapt. He then just becomes another grafter, plus we’ve got players who can do his running.  I also wouldn’t want to play him in away games. The way Bunn sets us up is ideal for playing away. Hence our results. At home though when teams sit against us,  I think he’s absolulety crucial to keeping the ball, and being our creator. 

I just like seeing good footballers play football, I think it's a bit of a myth that Baxter doesn't graft and to be honest it's an easy go to when the subject of his lack of game time is raised, one thing I will say is that when Baxter is in the team everyone has to graft a little less because he looks after the ball, rarely gives away possession and the opposition actually respect his ability and have to adapt accordingly, it's a crying shame he can't be given a chance in this team which barring Surridge lacks any quality in the final third.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I just like seeing good footballers play football, I think it's a bit of a myth that Baxter doesn't graft and to be honest it's an easy go to when the subject of his lack of game time is raised, one thing I will say is that when Baxter is in the team everyone has to graft a little less because he looks after the ball, rarely gives away possession and the opposition actually respect his ability and have to adapt accordingly, it's a crying shame he can't be given a chance in this team which barring Surridge lacks any quality in the final third.

I agree with you on this and understand your logic, your good or better players should be playing.

But Just now Bunn obviously trusts more of Gardner in a midfield two starting the games. As he says in his interviews he is trying to use Baxters know how around the 60 minute mark once the opposition is tiring and more space develops on the pitch.

For me Bunn sees our fitness as a positive over the rest of the league and he tries to utilise this in games later on and this is were he turns to Baxter.

I don't know if Baxter is fully fit yet but maybe he just needs more time due to being out of the pro game and maybe Bunn or the player wants this tactic for now as it can be effective and maybe reduce the risk of him suffering injuries like Hamstring or Groin tears which would put him back even further.

A midfield three could work better for him ( 352) so he can play more advanced and leave the hard dirty work to the other two deeper midfielders but have we the wing backs for this as I don't think Surridge should play up top on his own. In a 442 I feel Baxter is not ready if he used as a midfielder.

I've only played amatuer level so know a bit but I work with an ex Prem striker who says when you have been out for a while its harder than people think to get back up to full fitness, especially if you've been out a while.

So I would rather be careful with Baxter and not risk losing him through a bad injury. If this lad can stay fit and get fitter he could be a huge asset in the latter part of the season when one off games could mean the difference between promotion or play offs.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Fittest squad in the league, best striker has already had three injuries and it has only just turned October...

Some players are prone to niggles, that could just be the case with Surridge and not anybodys fault.

I didn't say we were the fittest in the league I said Bun sees our fitness as a positive over the other teams in games, I have not made this up, he says this in his interviews and to me sounds like he wants us to tire teams out for the latter 3rd of the game for the likes of Baxter etc to make an impact.

Just my opinion for what its worth

41 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Some players are prone to niggles, that could just be the case with Surridge and not anybodys fault.

I didn't say we were the fittest in the league I said Bun sees our fitness as a positive over the other teams in games, I have not made this up, he says this in his interviews and to me sounds like he wants us to tire teams out for the latter 3rd of the game for the likes of Baxter etc to make an impact.

Just my opinion for what its worth

It's fair enough but we tend to be chasing or saving games when Baxter is introduced, throwing it out there that he is saving him for the last twenty or thirty minutes is nonsensical, which other team consistently leave their best players on the bench to employ this tactic? I can't think of one.

Nepo scored three in three before he was benched and can't get back in and is being used in the same fashion, it's as if Bunn doesn't like footballers, attacking ones at that. 

Brangers been carried for weeks and Lang is clearly no left winger but we keep persisting with a system that sees us create little. 

One final point about trusting Baxter which is getting thrown out there, Gardner week in week out turns possession over cheaply, his pass completion rate at times must be horrific but he is picked game after game, don't we want players who can find a blue shirt at times in the team? We're fit because half the team have to chase after a football they've lost trying to pass to a team mate ten yards away.

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's fair enough but we tend to be chasing or saving games when Baxter is introduced, throwing it out there that he is saving him for the last twenty or thirty minutes is nonsensical, which other team consistently leave their best players on the bench to employ this tactic? I can't think of one.

Nepo scored three in three before he was benched and can't get back in and is being used in the same fashion, it's as if Bunn doesn't like footballers, attacking ones at that. 

Brangers been carried for weeks and Lang is clearly no left winger but we keep persisting with a system that sees us create little. 

One final point about trusting Baxter which is getting thrown out there, Gardner week in week out turns possession over cheaply, his pass completion rate at times must be horrific but he is picked game after game, don't we want players who can find a blue shirt at times in the team? We're fit because half the team have to chase after a football they've lost trying to pass to a team mate ten yards away.

Understand your frustration but I'm sure Baxter is being used for the reasons I explained until he is 100% ready.

Until Baxter is ready Gardner is the best we have got, That's my opinion which could way off