Swindon Town (A)

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I've been surprised & impressed by how much running Baxter does and how much effort he puts in - is GlossopLatic exhibiting lazy thinking just because JB's been out for so long or am I losing the plot? 

TBF you could probably run around for 25 min cameo. There is something wrong and it is not his ability-he still looks overweight and his warm up routine is a joke compared to the other subs warm up at half time. Somebody posted a couple of weeks ago that he hasn't been out that long as he played for Everton U23's last year.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Why do you think the manager who has seen him train everyday for the last 3 months isnt picking him right now? 

Because he doesn't fit in a 4-4-2, it really is as simple as that.

Shocking really especially as Bunn banged on about picking the best players for every game.

O'Grady is the first name on the team sheet when it should be Baxter and at the moment Bunn is getting away with it, a slip in form and the fans won't have it.

This league is confusing as fuck. Decent point tbf.

i take peoples point on board that we started well and steady and sit in the play offs... however, let’s have some fucking ambition... this league is absolute shite. And with better tactics, we would be sat alongside Lincoln at the top. 

Edited by oldhamoafc
Didn’t mean to quote...

On 9/29/2018 at 10:14 PM, mikejh45 said:

But...but...but....we would walk this division if we still had that player from last season, doncha know!!! AND it's all the fault of that dastardly chairperson.

We would be doing a lot better than we are with Byrne in this team being managed properly. Deluded if you disagree.

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Its on the observation from what Ive seen which is the home games he doesnt do as much running as he could do. Not as much as Garderner or Missilou who play centre mid where he could play or O'Grady or Surridge upfront where he could also play or atleast replace in the team right now, that might change in the future  

Why do you think the manager who has seen him train everyday for the last 3 months isnt picking him right now? 

Because he doesn’t fancy him. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Because he doesn't fit in a 4-4-2, it really is as simple as that.

Shocking really especially as Bunn banged on about picking the best players for every game.

O'Grady is the first name on the team sheet when it should be Baxter and at the moment Bunn is getting away with it, a slip in form and the fans won't have it.

Have to agree.

I still think Bunn’s ‘workmanlike, hard to beat’  is ok for now. However with every passing week Baxter’s non inclusion is beyond the pale. 

Frank- if there is a reason our best player ny a mile can’t get in the side tell us. I’ll back you. 

But please. Please. Stop saying he can’t play at least an hour of football. 

He (Jose) has played a full 90 minutes just the once, a month ago today at home to Crawley a game we won 2-1, his only other start came in the previous game at Morecambe when he was substituted in the 64th minute with us leading 2-0. It's the only time this season we have achieved back to back wins. 

I've mentioned it before but of the eight League matchday squads Jose has been named in we've only scored in two in the first half, that's the two he started, six blanks in the first half in those eight League games is pretty grim viewing and doesn't bode well going forward when arguably we will be bumping into better teams than we've faced.

Edited by yarddog73

8 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

We would be doing a lot better than we are with Byrne in this team being managed properly. Deluded if you disagree.

Bluddy hell......you don't know...your comment is an opinion NOT fact. 

"Managed properly"...bollox. How many managers have, and are still prepared to, let him go due to his sh*t attitude. A team consists of 11 players not Byrne and 10 other blokes.

I put it back to you...….Deluded if you disagree,

10 hours ago, oldhamoafc said:

He's had more managers than clubs and none of them (maybe the one in Holland) have been able to manage him 'properly' yet. 

14 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He's had more managers than clubs and none of them (maybe the one in Holland) have been able to manage him 'properly' yet. 

Unfortunately for him I think the 2 managers who may have managed him best, Shez and Joyce at Wigan, were sacked very soon after Byrne arrived. 

Given how José has been mainly used as a sub I question the value that Jack would have brought to this side even if he was 'less difficult' to manage. Neither player really suits the conventional 4-4-2 we play.

• Like 1

Wasn't that long ago that 4-4-2 was thought to be as prehistoric as a gang of  Pterodactyls enjoying a fag and a pint in their local.

At the moment it is probably the only formation we can turn out due to the personnel available.

I am sure that everyone is in agreement that it is a crying shame that a player with the talent Baxter possesses spends most of his Saturday afternoon sat on his arse, but so long as we are picking up points Frankie seems reluctant to start him.

The tweet from Surridge on Saturday didn't give any hint to him being back in time for Mansfield so i guess we plod on with the same 11 as Swindon.

Should that be the case i can't see anything other than a defeat,i hope i am wrong and i hope that Baxter starts. 

14 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think he wants us to be very, very solid for 60 minutes or more especially away from home and then take control of, & win, games via a combination of what so far looks like our superior fitness and by being able to throw on a fresh Baxter and, to a lesser extent, Nepo against tiring opposition. 

I think we'd have seen a lot more of Baxter if we weren't in as good a league position as we are as I think there's an element of Bunn having, and exploiting, the luxury of being able to use him sparingly while he re-acclimatizes to regular first team football. 

Back to the fitness thing - I don't think he looks any less fit (or unfit) than he did first time round when he was 5 years younger.

This is just the way he is. 

I've not seen a stomach muscle for about 25 years but still regularly fly past stick insects during 10k's - who's fitter me or them? 

Edited by HarryBosch

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

4-5-1 or even a 3-5-2 could see us accommodate Baxter quite easily.

Indeed it could and I dont think it require too much adaptation for the rest of the team but to be fair when he comes on he usually goes to centre mid in a 4-4-2 so I disagree when you say he cant play in a 4-4-2.

11 hours ago, League one forever said:

Because he doesn’t fancy him. 

Wouldnt it be a rather strange move for a manager to turn to a player he doesnt fancy most weeks and ask him to come on and change the game? If he didnt fancy him surely he wouldnt get on the pitch.

Most managers would fancy Baxter at this level without doubt.

Bunns team is hard working and closes teams down, works hard and the plan is to grind teams down and when they tire throw Baxter on when he might have a little more time and space to unlock defences with is clever play and quick movement of the ball, whether the players around him are on the same wavelength is another matter but I am sure that is the way Bunn wants to use Baxter.

I would like to see him in a 3-5-2 with Gardner and Missilou sitting behind him in the central 3, COG and surridge up top. I am sure Edmundson and Hamer / Graham could play either side of Clarke as the back 3, its then a question of, are Lang, Dummingham, Hunt, Nepo and Branger wing back material. This is my only concern with this system.

We are quite solid and currently we are in a good position after 10 games, does he change this to appease the fans and risk the wrath if it goes wrong or does he stick as we are and hope that we carry on grinding out points whilst remaining fairly hard to beat, stop making silly mistakes and be a little more clinical in front of goal.

I think he will stick as we are as it is working just now, we are in a good position and in touching distance of the top teams who may drop away.

Its not a sprint after all, and nothing is decided for a few months yet.

Stay solid for me and keep picking up points, I don't care how we get out of this division as. long as we do asap

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

4-5-1 or even a 3-5-2 could see us accommodate Baxter quite easily.

In the former who is the 1?  From what I have seen Surridge doesn't look like an up front on his own sort of striker to me.  While no-one can be certain it seems tough to argue that we aren't getting the best out of him using the current system

Edited by Dave_Og

Just now, Dave_Og said:

In the former who is the 1?  Frm what I have seen Surridge doesn; look like an up frong on hios own sort of striker to me.  While no-one can be certain it seems tough to argue that we aren't getting the best out of him using the current system

You may be right, for what it's worth it I think he could easily play upfront on his own.