Stevenage (a)

1 hour ago, forever blue said:

Well Fu-ck Me we lost and this website goes Ballistic. Get a Fu-cking  Grip you Morons .We are where we are.If you don't like it Fu-k off and support Stockport or someone else.You guys must have a hell of a rotten life sucking in all this negativity,

I never down vote anyone and I refuse to do so, but your comment is just insulting.
Don't call me a moron and don't tell me who to support.

My life is just peachy, by the way. :D

That was a perfect example of how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I thought we started well, on the front foot and going at it. Miller was unlucky with a deflection, Benteke should have put one away and Clarke's header should have been on target. We could, and should, have had 3 by half time.

Their first equaliser was a deflection, but they were getting the upper hand. Once we scored the second, we seemed incapable of building on it, gave away possession too easily and let them dictate the midfield.

Once their second one went in, I'd lost all confidence we could get back in front. There was no sign of FB changing anything and we were getting overrun. Once they attacked down their right side, they were dangerous. We had no response to that.

The tactics were baffling. Bunn took the wrong man off when he brought Lyden on. Did Lyden have a kick? I didn't notice.

To wait until the 88th minute to bring Baxter on was completely pointless and then he compounds that by changing a right back for a right back in the 90th minute when we were 2-3 down.

It just seemed to me that he simply didn't know what to do. Benteke could have been replaced, maybe by Baxter with 20 minutes to go? Just a thought. At least he would have introduced some kind of spark up front to accompany Miller, who I thought did well until he faded after about the 70th minute.

And why, oh why, do we have all 11 back defending a corner. You just know that once it's cleared, it's coming straight back.

The only bright spot was that I think we had a decent ref. The liner was a bit of nob, though. Disappointing to say the least. We were good enough to beat that lot, but ended up beating ourselves.

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

That was a perfect example of how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I thought we started well, on the front foot and going at it. Miller was unlucky with a deflection, Benteke should have put one away and Clarke's header should have been on target. We could, and should, have had 3 by half time.

Their first equaliser was a deflection, but they were getting the upper hand. Once we scored the second, we seemed incapable of building on it, gave away possession too easily and let them dictate the midfield.

Once their second one went in, I'd lost all confidence we could get back in front. There was no sign of FB changing anything and we were getting overrun. Once they attacked down their right side, they were dangerous. We had no response to that.

The tactics were baffling. Bunn took the wrong man off when he brought Lyden on. Did Lyden have a kick? I didn't notice.

To wait until the 88th minute to bring Baxter on was completely pointless and then he compounds that by changing a right back for a right back in the 90th minute when we were 2-3 down.

It just seemed to me that he simply didn't know what to do. Benteke could have been replaced, maybe by Baxter with 20 minutes to go? Just a thought. At least he would have introduced some kind of spark up front to accompany Miller, who I thought did well until he faded after about the 70th minute.

And why, oh why, do we have all 11 back defending a corner. You just know that once it's cleared, it's coming straight back.

The only bright spot was that I think we had a decent ref. The liner was a bit of nob, though. Disappointing to say the least. We were good enough to beat that lot, but ended up beating ourselves.

Agree with most of that summing up. To me, once the much maligned Gardner was taken off we fell apart.

2 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Excellent summary.

Sad to say I don’t think Frankie has much of a clue and make no mistake, this squad is poor, very poor and I wouldn’t hold out muc hope if we do get dragged into a relegation scrap, just not enough fight or quality in the squad.

9 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Hamer was injured I believe. Agree with a lot of your post though. 

I thought we played reasonably well going forward yesterday but still seem to need one touch too many when either crossing or shooting. They targeted our flanks and both Hamer and Hunt were beaten too often by their respective wingers. I would be looking to start Dummigan and Taylor on Tuesday. Edmundson looked nervy when under pressure and he and Clarke struggled aerially against their central strikers.

Miller looked a class act yesterday and caused their defence no end of problems until he tired towards the end. Gardner was his usual enigmatic self but still too many poor balls. Benteke needs to up the tempo at which he plays the game but, having said that, he did get into good positions when he should have done better. 

We have now been beaten in this league by MK Dons, Newport, Carlisle, Port Vale, Northampton and Stevenage. 

Yet another disappointing day following Latics.

14 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I have just seen the goals. It is about as pathetic as it gets. Hunt, Clarke and Iverson don't cover themselves in glory for the goals...

Three players ball chasing out wide to try and stop the cross for their first.  None of them managed it, obviously...amateurish

15 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

‘We all play in Blue and Tangerine’ ? 

In fairness, the vocal support yesterday was great and lots of good humour, it got a bit toxic when we went 3-2 down and a few of the usual suspects started blaming everyone they could think of

i actually enjoyed the match, it was an entertaining, open game between 2 teams trying to win (we were much more attacking than at Swindon or Mansfield) ultimately though we do lack quality and we desperately need a stronger spine as our midfield is weak and our strikers immobile and not working in pairs. Blaming our fullbacks, especially Hunt as some did yesterday is a cheap shot when they are offered little or no protection from our soft midfielders...the only one who did yesterday was Gardener and Bunn took him off!

the buck stops with the Manager and I am struggling to see any suggestion that Frankie has the answer, the real problem though is our decline over so many years and the current squad is a product of that......we have a lower mid table League 2 squad who find themselves lower mid table in League 2......none of us should be too surprised 

keep the faith and don’t let the beggars get you down, yesterday was an enjoyable day out and singing all the way through half time was very funny ? 

5 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Blaming our fullbacks, especially Hunt as some did yesterday is a cheap shot when they are offered little or no protection from our soft midfielders...the only one who did yesterday was Gardener and Bunn took him off!

I'm really not one for picking out individuals but...  Hunt was awful yesterday.  Constantly out of position, painfully slow (there were at least two occasions when he had a three or four yard start and came a poor second), must have tried to put at least half a dozen crosses in and never beat the first man, beaten himself on many occasions etc.  And I think Nepomuceno provided reasonable support.

Is Taylor injured?  Have to assume so.

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm really not one for picking out individuals but...  Hunt was awful yesterday.  Constantly out of position, painfully slow (there were at least two occasions when he had a three or four yard start and came a poor second), must have tried to put at least half a dozen crosses in and never beat the first man, beaten himself on many occasions etc.  And I think Nepomuceno provided reasonable support.

Is Taylor injured?  Have to assume so.

True, not great yesterday but I meant more generally, thought he was decent at Northampton and Swindon but it seems he is becoming our latest scapegoat and I don’t like the way our fans do that when the problems are much bigger and lie elsewhere