Stevenage (a)

Just now, Ritchierich said:

True, not great yesterday but I meant more generally, thought he was decent at Northampton and Swindon but it seems he is becoming our latest scapegoat and I don’t like the way our fans do that when the problems are much bigger and lie elsewhere 

Good point (although I wasn't at those games)

I wouldn't simply pick out Hunt for yesterday's problems. Attacks down both flanks put us in trouble and we didn't really have an answer.

For me, the midfield was the area where we offered little. Gardner apart, and he wasn't consistent, that's where we broke down. Yes, Nepomuceno got some crosses in, but the big problem was giving the ball away needlessly and not winning the 2nd ball when we had the chance.

I thought we liked pretty good going forward at times and Miller was a handful but, oh, those missed chances. We should have been 2 up before Miller scored and that would most likely have been game over.

As I said earlier, the substitutions were baffling and, had they been made earlier and better, we would most likely have come away with 3 points. That is down to Mr Bunn. Having said that, I don't think a change of manager now is the answer, but he has to get them firing pretty dammed quick or we'll soon be in real trouble.

The problem we seem to have is we can't get the balance right, it's as if we need another player on the pitch just so we are adequately covered in all positions. This is telling me that perhaps the players aren't good enough. The manager hasn't helped our cause yesterday by taking our best player off to bring on a like for like. At that point in the game Lydden would have been a good option but at the expense of maybe Benteke or Lang who I thought didn't have a good game. 

Hunt is definitely becoming this season’s boo boy from what I’ve seen. I sit in the MSU mostly and he has had some vitriol directed his way at a number of home games so far this season, not sure it’s entirely fair.

8 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Hunt is definitely becoming this season’s boo boy from what I’ve seen. I sit in the MSU mostly and he has had some vitriol directed his way at a number of home games so far this season, not sure it’s entirely fair.

His cause isn't helped by our midfield, the problem is that Dan is trying to cover all bases, either Bunn plays Lydden and Gardner or we can hope that Fane is close to a comeback (Thanks Jack). 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

His cause isn't helped by our midfield, the problem is that Dan is trying to cover all bases, either Bunn plays Lydden and Gardner or we can hope that Fane is close to a comeback (Thanks Jack). 

Oh the irony eh? Fane would be running around and getting sent off for Lincoln now if it wasn’t for Jack.

22 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

I wouldn't simply pick out Hunt for yesterday's problems. Attacks down both flanks put us in trouble and we didn't really have an answer.

For me, the midfield was the area where we offered little. Gardner apart, and he wasn't consistent, that's where we broke down. Yes, Nepomuceno got some crosses in, but the big problem was giving the ball away needlessly and not winning the 2nd ball when we had the chance.

I thought we liked pretty good going forward at times and Miller was a handful but, oh, those missed chances. We should have been 2 up before Miller scored and that would most likely have been game over.

As I said earlier, the substitutions were baffling and, had they been made earlier and better, we would most likely have come away with 3 points. That is down to Mr Bunn. Having said that, I don't think a change of manager now is the answer, but he has to get them firing pretty dammed quick or we'll soon be in real trouble.

The midfield is our biggest problem as we don't seem to have anyone who can tackle and win the ball. Missalou hasn't put a tackle in for about a month,Gevaro and Gardner hardly tackle.So we didn't stop Stevenage from keeping and crossing the ball.if we are being over cautious because of bookings and bans then we shouldn't be because this lack of fight is costing us.Clarke is struggling now and we need to get a replacement in January.Why are we getting so many injuries?This is a physical division and we have too many players who are not physically strong enough.i'm fed up of seeing Baxter being bundled off the ball as he was yesterday.

22 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

The midfield is our biggest problem as we don't seem to have anyone who can tackle and win the ball. Missalou hasn't put a tackle in for about a month,Gevaro and Gardner hardly tackle.So we didn't stop Stevenage from keeping and crossing the ball.if we are being over cautious because of bookings and bans then we shouldn't be because this lack of fight is costing us.Clarke is struggling now and we need to get a replacement in January.Why are we getting so many injuries?This is a physical division and we have too many players who are not physically strong enough.i'm fed up of seeing Baxter being bundled off the ball as he was yesterday.

4 hours ago, alwaysblue said:

You make very valid points here, when we either don't have or lose possession (Danny G) we invariably have to wait until the opposition give it us back.

Missilou has gone from a poor man's midget Fane to a MIA poor man's midget Fane .

if Gardner won the ball half as much as he gives it away he would be in Southgate's next squad.

Nepo and Branger totally non existent in the tackling stakes.

Lyden, hasn't set the world on fire but in his defence his opportunities have been limited either by being benched or INJURED!

Injuries,loads of em all the time. People are quite rightly, questioning Bunn's managerial qualities but we haven't mentioned the coaching and fitness.

It should go without saying that a bloke who has coached players for 20 years at a high standard should know of potential injury risks and ways to avoid them.

Injuries are costing us dearly as we can all see by the loss of Surridge, even the fact that Coke is not available is affecting us ( i know nobody believes this but he has a 2 yr deal and is wherever? maybe jack byrne's old cell )

Our defence whilst not spectacular hasn't been the weakest link but losing Clarke or George would make life even more uncomfortable.

5 hours ago, alwaysblue said:

Missalou hasn't put a tackle in for about a month,

8 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Missilou has gone from a poor man's midget Fane to a MIA poor man's midget Fane .

I reckon there must be two players called  Missilou in the team and I’m watching a different one to both of you...

The one I’m watching closes down, puts his foot in, nicks the ball and also moves the play forward. Granted he also mistimes the occasional challenge and has had a few bookings this season, but he never hides out on the pitch.

So the one you watch hasn’t put in a tackle in a month and is MIA type of player? Definitely drop him then and just keep the other one in the side ?

35 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I reckon there must be two players called  Missilou in the team and I’m watching a different one to both of you...

The one I’m watching closes down, puts his foot in, nicks the ball and also moves the play forward. Granted he also mistimes the occasional challenge and has had a few bookings this season, but he never hides out on the pitch.

So the one you watch hasn’t put in a tackle in a month and is MIA type of player? Definitely drop him then and just keep the other one in the side ?

Mr Dog,your opinion is very welcome :D

it is also wrong, he hasn't been booked for a bit because he stopped tackling and he only passes 3 yds sideways.  Cheers :chubb:

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

That was the old Missalou,he doesn't put his foot in anymore or nick the ball and I can't understand why he has stopped doing that.I haven't seen him win a ball in a tackle for quite a while.He is certainly not doing what Fane was so good at.He is doing what other players have been doing,stand a yard off the opposition and let them run around him.

4 minutes ago, alwaysblue said:

That was the old Missalou,he doesn't put his foot in anymore or nick the ball and I can't understand why he has stopped doing that.I haven't seen him win a ball in a tackle for quite a while.He is certainly not doing what Fane was so good at.He is doing what other players have been doing,stand a yard off the opposition and let them run around him.

He does seem a different player than his first couple of games. He looked promising at the start.

Got to say, I was very disappointed with Missile on Saturday. The fight seems to have gone out of him. Is he scared of racking up too many bookings? Has he been told to ease off in case he racks up too many bookings? When he had the ball, he actually got his head up and passed it well (feel free to disagree, people), but he only did that when the ball was presented to him on  a plate. He didn't fight to win it and then get us going. 

Gardner's a frustrating bugger. There's definitely a player in there with a fair amount of skill. So often, he does the hard bit by getting away from trouble and keeping possession when surrounded by the opposition and then makes a dog's breakfast of a 5 yard pass. He'll then ping a 30 yarder straight to someone's feet, immediately followed by a free kick in a dangerous area that beats everyone including the first four rows of the terracing. Nepomuceno's corner kicks would suggest to me he's worth sticking on free kick duty.

Defensively, we're starting to look frail. Teams as poor as those I've seen this season are getting in behind us and causing problems. Dummigan needs to come back in as does Taylor (again, feel free to disagree). For me, the real problems are we are so thin on the ground for defensive cover and short of a midfielder who can pull the strings and split a defence. Baxter should have been the answer to that midfield struggle but, either he just can't get fit, or Frankie doesn't think he can do a job.

Unfortunately, it will be quite a while before I can see us again, so I'll have to rely on iFollow commentary and extended highlights to form further opinions. But, what I do know is, if we lose again tomorrow night, we are heading straight into the "good for the roses" brown stuff. Another defeat will do nothing for morale and will just cause more fear of further losses. The thought of not beating Hampton and Richmond after that will be one of the lowest points in all my 68 years of supporting Latics.

7 hours ago, alwaysblue said:

It's not just midfield - only Nepo, Miller & Surridge (on the rare occassions he's here/fit) seem to play with any real intent of creating/scoring rather than just going through some overcoached motions.