Pete Wild

10 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Agree - and let's not forget the important fact that, when signing a proper contract (they must exist at Latics!), it will offer him a degree of financial compensation should he lose his job. That carrot of some financial incentive/stability (plus a distinct pay rise) should seal the deal. He's humble, which is very endearing, and deserves his chance.

I will add that it's sod's law that my "boycott" has resulted in me missing the current phase of excitement - I didn't even watch on telly yesterday.

That was some decent attendance v Mansfield - how many did they bring please? 

So 4,845 LAtics. Significant increase.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Played 14, won 8 is it? 

11 hours ago, True Tic said:

Yes, drawn 3 and lost 3 , a respectable number of clean sheets too.

89 points in a 46 game season.

2nd last year, same as Luton.

5 pts off champions. Given a decent striker that could easily be caught up over a season.

He did a Q&A  phone in on Radio Manchester last night.

He said that him and Marco had agreed the job situation would not be discussed until the end of the season but it sounded like he wants it.

He said he is already preparing for next season,  said he knows pretty much every player in Leagues 1, 2, the National League and National League North, so has a good idea of who he would want to bring in.

12 minutes ago, bozman said:

He said that him and Marco had agreed the job situation would not be discussed until the end of the season but it sounded like he wants it.

He said he is already preparing for next season,  said he knows pretty much every player in Leagues 1, 2, the National League and National League North, so has a good idea of who he would want to bring in.

Appreciate that. Did he indicate his knowledge of French tier 5..😉

I've no problem Marco bringing a few in, but it has to be a mix, no prefrential treatment, no interference and knocking back any player that comes complaining to him. Surely even they can see that something is working?
A bit like Scholes and Wellens, he has no choice really, difference is PW has proved it in two spells and with more constraints like loss of squad members and none of his own players.

27 minutes ago, bozman said:

If that's the case he should be bringing in the likes of Warburton from Stockport and Willoughby from FC United who would both be and upgrade on the likes of Vera and Miller.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Agree - and let's not forget the important fact that, when signing a proper contract (they must exist at Latics!), it will offer him a degree of financial compensation should he lose his job. That carrot of some financial incentive/stability (plus a distinct pay rise) should seal the deal. He's humble, which is very endearing, and deserves his chance.

I will add that it's sod's law that my "boycott" has resulted in me missing the current phase of excitement - I didn't even watch on telly yesterday.

That was some decent attendance v Mansfield - how many did they bring please? 

In a normal situation, yes. I believe that Wellens still hasn't received his payoff yet...

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

If that's the case he should be bringing in the likes of Warburton from Stockport and Willoughby from FC United who would both be and upgrade on the likes of Vera and Miller.

Miller? He’s long gone

12 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Or the players Marco likes and wants to play are much more prevalent in Mr Wild's plans. 

Marco isn't interfering if Wild wants to play the same players. 

I think some of Scholes' issues stemmed from wanting to play passing football, so he tended to opt for more technically gifted players. That was always going to be a problem with no transfer window and a squad of players not necessarily suited to playing that way. 

Agree with the first bit as it's proving successful.

As for the second bit....do we not play a passing game? I don't recall a reliance on hoofball.

I think the problem under the brief Scholes era was Scholes' lack of communication/man-management skills not the quality of players as they appear to want to play for Wilde. 

41 minutes ago, singe said:

I've no problem Marco bringing a few in, but it has to be a mix, no prefrential treatment, no interference and knocking back any player that comes complaining to him. Surely even they can see that something is working?
A bit like Scholes and Wellens, he has no choice really, difference is PW has proved it in two spells and with more constraints like loss of squad members and none of his own players.

But if the "interference" is successful as PW's record indicates, would he not be better maintaining the current arrangement?  

39 minutes ago, singe said:

haha,  no he didn't mention anything about his knowledge of the French lower leagues.

The issue of the foreign legion was discussed though. He said Clarke and Maouche were taking on a lot of the responsibility for integrating the foreign lads and British players and ensuring togetherness.

He was particularly complimentary about Clarke. Said he was an outstanding leader and vitally important to the squad. When a caller suggested that Clarke should be offered another year, he said he agreed 100%.... so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

He was actually a really good interviewee, managing to come up with some insightful answers to some banal questions and comments. For example, he said that after a game he always speaks to the opposing manager about  the specific tactics they had use against each other rather than the generic way they like to play. He said most managers tell him that they target Clarke as one of our weaknesses, which he finds strange because Clarke wins most of his personal battles.

3 minutes ago, bozman said:

haha,  no he didn't mention anything about his knowledge of the French lower leagues.

The issue of the foreign legion was discussed though. He said Clarke and Maouche were taking on a lot of the responsibility for integrating the foreign lads and British players and ensuring togetherness.

He was particularly complimentary about Clarke. Said he was an outstanding leader and vitally important to the squad. When a caller suggested that Clarke should be offered another year, he said he agreed 100%.... so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

He was actually a really good interviewee, managing to come up with some insightful answers to some banal questions and comments. For example, he said that after a game he always speaks to the opposing manager about  the specific tactics they had use against each other rather than the generic way they like to play. He said most managers tell him that they target Clarke as one of our weaknesses, which he finds strange because Clarke wins most of his personal battles.

This has to be age rather than performance related surely

1 minute ago, ghostofcecere said:

This has to be age rather than performance related surely

But a huge oversight from all managers that have expressed they target Clarke, as PW said he wins vast majority of his personal battles. 

Tom Hamer was solid yesterday and one of his best performances. But for me, as an opposing manager I’d be playing triangles over on his side of the pitch trying to create overloads, he’s often out of position and gets caught the wrong side of his man many times. Also loves to go and win the ball, a good trait of his but when he doesn’t win the ball he can be found 10 yards further forward than he possibly should be.

You can’t help but like the guy.  He always sounds so self-effacing as opposed to a lot of other managers who would be blowing their trumpet in light of the impact he’s now had twice this season.

You get managers with their sound bites that they love the club or have a lot of respect for the club but Wildy is a fan and living the dream of managing the club that he’s supported all his life.  He’s one of the fans and knows just how important success on the pitch is needed with all the uncertainty off the pitch.

I just hope the Clown realises his fortune having Wildy at the helm and the incumbents affinity with the fans and club.  It can deflect some of the heat from him especially if we win the next three games and then leads us to Wembley.  Win or lose, a play-off run and cup game at Fulham would be many a manager’s dream at this level - Wildy’s achieved this by drifting in and out the role during the season.

Come May, he needs a one-year contract at least with guarantees that if it doesn’t work out that he’s got a job back in his old coaching role regardless.  He also needs full support next season with recruitment.  We have some promising players in the team and if we can retain those and strengthen then we can turn around this season on and off the field.....

16 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Come May, he needs a one-year contract at least with guarantees that if it doesn’t work out that he’s got a job back in his old coaching role regardless.  

And who'd take the youth role kmnowing they'd be binned off if that came to pass?

30 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

But if the "interference" is successful as PW's record indicates, would he not be better maintaining the current arrangement?  

Admittedly none of us truly know the situation. But I was referring more to returning increasing levels of interfering, or regressing to its worse levels. 

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

And pretty unlikely Wild would want to go back to youths after managing seniors.

Why, until club legend Tony Philliskirk was fired, the average tenure of the Academy head was over a decade. The average tenure of the seniors was about 10 weeks.

29 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Why, until club legend Tony Philliskirk was fired, the average tenure of the Academy head was over a decade. The average tenure of the seniors was about 10 weeks.

Big difference in age between the two, pretty normal to want to go as high as you can in your profession.

2 hours ago, Midsblue said:

You can’t help but like the guy.  He always sounds so self-effacing as opposed to a lot of other managers who would be blowing their trumpet in light of the impact he’s now had twice this season.

You get managers with their sound bites that they love the club or have a lot of respect for the club but Wildy is a fan and living the dream of managing the club that he’s supported all his life.  He’s one of the fans and knows just how important success on the pitch is needed with all the uncertainty off the pitch.

I just hope the Clown realises his fortune having Wildy at the helm and the incumbents affinity with the fans and club.  It can deflect some of the heat from him especially if we win the next three games and then leads us to Wembley.  Win or lose, a play-off run and cup game at Fulham would be many a manager’s dream at this level - Wildy’s achieved this by drifting in and out the role during the season.

Come May, he needs a one-year contract at least with guarantees that if it doesn’t work out that he’s got a job back in his old coaching role regardless.  He also needs full support next season with recruitment.  We have some promising players in the team and if we can retain those and strengthen then we can turn around this season on and off the field.....

I wouldn’t trust a promise of him tho would you? Wild loses a big game, Marco loses it! 

Heard he doesn’t want the job for the same reasons he gave pre Scholes. Shame as think he could be excellent given some backing. One reservation would be knowledge of available players but I guess that might not be an issue given the Clown’s plans for recruitment. 

Frankie Bunn navigated the loan market excellently last summer and we have a lot to thank him for regardless of the nonsense that’s posted on here about his tenure. The Dull out brigade need to ask themselves how much lower we’d be without the likes of Iversen, Lang and Surridge.

You’d imagine after Abdallah’s response to the Trust letter that there’ll be further cuts in the playing budget so it’s gonna take a miracle transfer window even for Sir Peter Wild to have us up there. Very tough gig next season imo and I can understand why he’d rather go back to coaching the youths.

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Frankie Bunn navigated the loan market excellently last summer and we have a lot to thank him for regardless of the nonsense that’s posted on here about his tenure. The Dull out brigade need to ask themselves how much lower we’d be without the likes of Iversen, Lang and Surridge.

You’d imagine after Abdallah’s response to the Trust letter that there’ll be further cuts in the playing budget so it’s gonna take a miracle transfer window even for Sir Peter Wild to have us up there. Very tough gig next season imo and I can understand why he’d rather go back to coaching the youths.

Frankie Bunn also brought in some of the worst permanent contracted players I have seen over the last few years. Coke for starters. 

Archived