Home Form and formation?

So it looks like we are starting to find a way to get some results away from home, and at least have a plan around a formation and how we play.

I've not been to a home game this season but the stats show we average 46% possession, 3 shots on target per game and have scored 1 goal in 3 games which is pretty shit.

For those that go, how do we need to change our formation/personnel and approach to be more effective at home?

Grimsby have won 2 out of 3 away from home so we need to do something if we want to move up the table.

Genuine question.....

**Shucky...Vera is NOT the answer😂

23 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

So it looks like we are starting to find a way to get some results away from home, and at least have a plan around a formation and how we play.

I've not been to a home game this season but the stats show we average 46% possession, 3 shots on target per game and have scored 1 goal in 3 games which is pretty shit.

For those that go, how do we need to change our formation/personnel and approach to be more effective at home?

Grimsby have won 2 out of 3 away from home so we need to do something if we want to move up the table.

Genuine question.....

**Shucky...Vera is NOT the answer😂

If a team comes for a point we haven't a chance unless the intricate passing movements are much quicker. If the opposition do come out, the only way to score is  down the wings and heading for goal with the front man, or a ball over the top relying on the speed of the front man. As we only have three forwards. One of which shouldn't be anywhere near a football team it will be very difficult. If Mo can bring in a couple of forwards worth the name in January, things could look up significantly. Forwards not currently in the plans of a Championship team on loan would be the best option, as they would probably find it much easier to score in L2. Wages would obviously be a sticking point. Get rid of the dead wood like Vera and it could well be done. 

53 minutes ago, singe said:

The problem is that we have nigh on 3 dozen players, yet the first XI virtually picks itself. 

Without checking, that’d suggest we’ve largely kept the same starting lineup from the first game ? You’re the stats man Singe. How many changes ? Are you being overly negative again ? 

One thing we need to do is that, We need to get beyond this very outdated idea that playing 1 striker up the middle can not produce attacking football, it simply isnt true. Its an idea that the rest of football banished in the 90's. Like in most things Oldham is behind the times in things like this. Along with this idea that wingers have to stay wide and put crosses in they need to score goals aswell.

What we need is creativity and runs into the box from Midfield. We cant play Missilou and Sylla in the middle at home they are good ball winners but neither can help you at home trying to breakdown a stubborn defence. So at home only 1 should play on current form it should be Sylla. We also need to play Nepo at left back and encourage him to get forward and cross the ball same with Hamer on the otherside. We need to also encourage the wingers to be prepared to get in the box and support the striker. If you play 1 uptop they need to get as much support as possible from midfield. Do that and we might start to create and score more chances.

3 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Without checking, that’d suggest we’ve largely kept the same starting lineup from the first game ? You’re the stats man Singe. How many changes ? Are you being overly negative again ? 

Team from the first game:

Oldham Athletic: Woods, Mills, Iacovitti, Sefil, Branger-Engone (79' Nepomuceno), Maouche (Capt), Wilson (64' Azankpo), Missilou, Sylla (82' Vera), Wheater, Hamer.

Team from the latest game:

Oldham Athletic: Woods, Iacovitti, Branger-Engone, Morais (87' McHale), Maouche (90+ Mills), Wilson (57' Azankpo), Missilou, Fage, Sylla, Wheater (C), Hamer.

Mills and Sefil replaced by Morais and Fage.  If Eagles had been fit he would have played and possibly Smith-Brown...

So the starting eleven is not significantly different.

16 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Team from the first game:

Oldham Athletic: Woods, Mills, Iacovitti, Sefil, Branger-Engone (79' Nepomuceno), Maouche (Capt), Wilson (64' Azankpo), Missilou, Sylla (82' Vera), Wheater, Hamer.

Team from the latest game:

Oldham Athletic: Woods, Iacovitti, Branger-Engone, Morais (87' McHale), Maouche (90+ Mills), Wilson (57' Azankpo), Missilou, Fage, Sylla, Wheater (C), Hamer.

Mills and Sefil replaced by Morais and Fage.  If Eagles had been fit he would have played and possibly Smith-Brown...

So the starting eleven is not significantly different.

And Nepo's availability limited

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Play two up front

Play one of Sylla or Missilou 

Play Eagles And Maouche together in the middle of the park 

Keep one forward up the pitch when defending corners

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Play two up front

Play one of Sylla or Missilou 

Play Eagles And Maouche together in the middle of the park 

Keep one forward up the pitch when defending corners

I'm struggling to see why we'd play a perennially crocked 33 year old winger in a central midfield role. 

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

One thing we need to do is that, We need to get beyond this very outdated idea that playing 1 striker up the middle can not produce attacking football, it simply isnt true. Its an idea that the rest of football banished in the 90's. Like in most things Oldham is behind the times in things like this. Along with this idea that wingers have to stay wide and put crosses in they need to score goals aswell.

What we need is creativity and runs into the box from Midfield. We cant play Missilou and Sylla in the middle at home they are good ball winners but neither can help you at home trying to breakdown a stubborn defence. So at home only 1 should play on current form it should be Sylla. We also need to play Nepo at left back and encourage him to get forward and cross the ball same with Hamer on the otherside. We need to also encourage the wingers to be prepared to get in the box and support the striker. If you play 1 uptop they need to get as much support as possible from midfield. Do that and we might start to create and score more chances.

Points well made Glossop. Completely agree with the first paragraph. But disagree with the main point in the second one. 

If you drop Missile who plays instead? Can't be Maouche as he simply doesn't work hard enough. 

The Crewe game for example and correct me if I'm wrong as I didn't go but we played a 442 and got overrun in midfield. I prefer two holding midfielders irrespective of home or away. It's down to no. 10 and wingers to create something. That said in a ideal world we would have someone who can break play up and create but we don't. 

3 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Depends if you measure starts, in squad, time onvpitch. 9 players have been in the squad all 8 times or 16 players 7 or more.
But really I'm referring to first choice players.

Backatya, how many positions have we got 2 players genuinely competing for a place - where the other player is not first choice somewhere else?
Genuine question.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm struggling to see why we'd play a perennially crocked 33 year old winger in a central midfield role. 

I’m struggling to see what it is about being a ‘perennially crocked 33 year old winger’ that has any relevance to your point?

In fact what is the point you are making here? Is he not skilful enough to play central midfield? Is he too old to play central midfield? If he stays fit then he is a great addition to the team. If he doesn’t stay fit then he doesn’t play. 

Have you seen Eagles play for us? He may have lost some of his pace but he still has great technical skills. He has the talent to play in a central midfield role. That is why we would play him.

1 hour ago, singe said:

Depends if you measure starts, in squad, time onvpitch. 9 players have been in the squad all 8 times or 16 players 7 or more.
But really I'm referring to first choice players.

Backatya, how many positions have we got 2 players genuinely competing for a place - where the other player is not first choice somewhere else?
Genuine question.

Genuine answer is I don’t know. It’s too early. Some of these players that are being written off will yet come good. Others will tail off for one reason or another. And we will/should bolster the squad in January. 

By all means lose your shit (not just you) with the off field shit. But to avoid an eggy boat race give the team more time. It’s just not my style to panic in September, even if we were on zero points I wouldn’t as there’s shitloads of points to play for. I’m disappointed with the start. I’m encouraged by some recent reports from some less hysteric (again not JUST you 😄) posters. If the improvements continue, I might even go to a match myself soon 😳😩

33 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I’m struggling to see what it is about being a ‘perennially crocked 33 year old winger’ that has any relevance to your point?

In fact what is the point you are making here? Is he not skilful enough to play central midfield? Is he too old to play central midfield? If he stays fit then he is a great addition to the team. If he doesn’t stay fit then he doesn’t play. 

Have you seen Eagles play for us? He may have lost some of his pace but he still has great technical skills. He has the talent to play in a central midfield role. That is why we would play him.

Yes I have. He's had a fifteen year career, of sorts, as a winger. We have a dozen or so central midfielders on the books. If there was any further need for a stinging indictment of recruitment resorting to playing a winger there a month into the season would nail it. 

10 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Points well made Glossop. Completely agree with the first paragraph. But disagree with the main point in the second one. 

If you drop Missile who plays instead? Can't be Maouche as he simply doesn't work hard enough. 

The Crewe game for example and correct me if I'm wrong as I didn't go but we played a 442 and got overrun in midfield. I prefer two holding midfielders irrespective of home or away. It's down to no. 10 and wingers to create something. That said in a ideal world we would have someone who can break play up and create but we don't. 

Quite simply Maoche needs to drop deep in a midfield 3 and someone who can take the ball on the turn in behind a striker. I am not Maoches biggest fan as I believe he is too weak and not good enough in possession when put under pressure. Therefore in a number 10 role, he is useless mostly. Would play him deep alongside Missilou, and play Morais, Wilson or Eagles in behind a striker. Either that or play Hamer more central in a 3 and get Morais and Fage wide to attack the flanks with 2 up top. Either way a lot of the reaosn for our lack of possession is we play the ball up or through the middle and it just doesnt stick

10 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

We have a dozen or so central midfielders on the books. 

You got me thinking about our central midfielders...

Branger-Engone,, Nepomuceno, Fage, McHale, Smith, Eagles and Morais, These would probably be classed as wingers.

Missilou, Sylla, Fage, Maouche, Gonzales. These would probably be classed as central midfielders.

So if we rule out Gonzales as he isn’t catching at the moment,  and the Academy players who are not ready for the first team, that really only leaves four central midfielders.

Two, Sylla and Missilou, are more defensively minded though Missilou does get into the box.Hence why I am suggesting Eagles to play a more central role. He has the talent to play there. 

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

You got me thinking about our central midfielders...

Branger-Engone,, Nepomuceno, Fage, McHale, Smith, Eagles and Morais, These would probably be classed as wingers.

Missilou, Sylla, Fage, Maouche, Gonzales. These would probably be classed as central midfielders.

So if we rule out Gonzales as he isn’t catching at the moment,  and the Academy players who are not ready for the first team, that really only leaves four central midfielders.

Two, Sylla and Missilou, are more defensively minded though Missilou does get into the box.Hence why I am suggesting Eagles to play a more central role. He has the talent to play there. 

If only we'd just signed someone to play the role rather than jamming square pegs into round holes. 

13 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If only we'd just signed someone to play the role rather than jamming square pegs into round holes. 

I think that you just answered your earlier question there Dave 😉

with our weak strikeforce we will be a counter attack team so not surpsiring we have more points on our travels as we have better mids than strikers so obvious better to play 1 up top. cant see banide changing that for home games, nor do i think he should do. agree more attacking full backs should be the key but cant get on banide's back if he tries to play for a 1-0 win at home with what he has at his disposal. looks the best option for us to pick up points as we wont outscore anyone if we open up. 

There are a dozen players in our squad who won't play a single league game so why are they here Marco?

Those that will play might be (?) the sort of squad you would have in a far off land but they are not a typical league 2 squad.

I hope things will improve but I suspect playing like an away team at home isn't going to impress those of us who pay to watch and the moaners will get louder and louder.

1 hour ago, Hands on said:

There are a dozen players in our squad who won't play a single league game so why are they here Marco?

Those that will play might be (?) the sort of squad you would have in a far off land but they are not a typical league 2 squad.

I hope things will improve but I suspect playing like an away team at home isn't going to impress those of us who pay to watch and the moaners will get louder and louder.

To be honest though, the home crowds are down to the die hard supporters and as such I certainly have not heard much, if any, moaning inside the ground.*

(*) and I sit in the Main Stand! 😀

Archived