My 1st game - Wayne Harrison Testimonial 28/04/92

Hi all,

Hope everyone and their loved ones are doing well in this testing time.

With all the free time we’ve been dealt with recently, not to mention the general state we find our club in, to take mind of current matters, I’ve been getting all nostalgic and misty eyed for our mental club, and inspired by the PTB ‘You are my Oldham’ stories, got to thinking about my early days as a fan and first experiences. My first ever game was a late season friendly game v Liverpool in 1992, which from what I understand was a testimonial for our ex youth player Wayne Harrison.

As a fresh faced 7 year old with very little attention span, all I can vaguely remember is the score was 2-2 and that I sat in the George Hill upper with my old man, along with his Liverpool supporting mate and his lad of around the same age as me, where I was less taken by the action and more the hotter-than-the-sun chocolate searing my taste buds off and ‘state of the art’ electronic graphics on the scoreboard to my right (Come… On… Oldham!!) – luckily I was a little more hooked for my next visit, the 5-3 v Forest early the next season, which really started my love affair with the club and football in general.

Despite it being a low key friendly I always consider this my first ever game of football (also keeps up a tradition of testimonials I've been to, including Stitch, Shez and Eyresy's games), so means a lot to me, but there is understandably very little info on the game recorded . A few searches have yielded some basic info on Liverpool’s scorers, line ups etc, but nothing for Latics, so wondered if anyone here remembers the game and who scored for us etc?

Long shot given as it was a long time ago and an unremarkable game (searches say around 4,400 in attendance), but some users here have an encyclopaedic knowledge of our club, so worth an ask!

So, I've consulted my copy of Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic - a 100 Year Journey (1995) and it's got the following:

28 April 1992 a 2-2 draw v Liverpool, goals from Moulden and Palmer, crowd 4,400 (News at Ten above says > 5,000!). Line-up:

1 Keeley

2 Makin

3 Barlow

4 Henry (subbed off) 

5 Fleming

6 A.Holden

7 Palmer

8 Moulden

9 Sharp (subbed off)

10 McDonald

11 R.Holden

12 Wilson

14 Tolson

25 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

So, I've consulted my copy of Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic - a 100 Year Journey (1995) and it's got the following:

28 April 1992 a 2-2 draw v Liverpool, goals from Moulden and Palmer, crowd 4,400 (News at Ten above says > 5,000!). Line-up:

1 Keeley

2 Makin

3 Barlow

4 Henry (subbed off) 

5 Fleming

6 A.Holden

7 Palmer

8 Moulden

9 Sharp (subbed off)

10 McDonald

11 R.Holden

12 Wilson

14 Tolson

Wilson?

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Wilson?

I know, it had me puzzled! It was his only appearance that season according to the book, maybe a youth team/reserve player?

On page 446 of the book for anyone who has it, there's a squad photo of the 1990/91 team with the Second Division Championship trophy, and there is a Greg Wilson on the back row, second from left. He isn't listed in the 90/91 season fixtures, so I guess he must have joined in the summer. Does look very young so I guess he maybe was a youth team player. Maybe it's him?!

14 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

1 Keeley

2 Makin

3 Barlow

4 Henry (subbed off) 

5 Fleming

6 A.Holden

7 Palmer

8 Moulden

9 Sharp (subbed off)

10 McDonald

11 R.Holden

12 Wilson

14 Tolson

19 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Bit of a feature here, from 28.47

Thanks so much to you both for this, it's put a big smile on my face, especially seeing a bit of footage of the actual game knowing an impressionable 7 year old me was watching on from the top tier of the George Hill. 

Little memories flooding back, the evening looks exactly as I remember it, clear and bright, and looking at that, it must've been only time I attended when the RRE was an open terrace. 

I was never sure if I saw Palmer score in a game, as it was at end of his career when I started going, but very happy to say I at least saw him score in a friendly!!

On 3/31/2020 at 2:55 PM, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

My first match was 1972 v Bournemouth,  in the Main stand  and my last game was sat in same stand last season, v Swindon.

That was also the first match I can remember going to, not sure if it was my first game. Without looking it up it was a Tuesday night game and we won 4-2. The thing I remember, and I'm sure it was that match, was Bill Cranston catching the ball when he got caught in 2 minds from a long punt by the Bournemouth goalie. He just looked at the ref whilst still holding the ball.

My first game was against Burnley. The first to be played under floodlights 1961/2. I was allowed to go with some older lads who lived nearby, and my second game was the FA Cup game against Liverpool in 1962. We stood on the RRE terrace in a crowd of 42000 and we were robbed if I remember rightly.

1 minute ago, al_bro said:

My first game was against Burnley. The first to be played under floodlights 1961/2. I was allowed to go with some older lads who lived nearby, and my second game was the FA Cup game against Liverpool in 1962. We stood on the RRE terrace in a crowd of 42000 and we were robbed if I remember rightly.

Not unexpected with a load of Scousers there. 

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

I was in the RRE for the Liverpool game as well, surrounded by Scourers. The craic was brilliant and we had a terrific time with them. Yes, we were robbed.

Wasn't that the game where Bobby Johnstone showed the ref the muddy mark on the crossbar which proved, more or less, that the ball would have come down behind the line given the position of said muddy mark?

Jesus, I'd already turned 17 by then. Happy days.

• 4 months later...
On 3/30/2020 at 10:53 PM, Worcester Owl said:

I know, it had me puzzled! It was his only appearance that season according to the book, maybe a youth team/reserve player?

On page 446 of the book for anyone who has it, there's a squad photo of the 1990/91 team with the Second Division Championship trophy, and there is a Greg Wilson on the back row, second from left. He isn't listed in the 90/91 season fixtures, so I guess he must have joined in the summer. Does look very young so I guess he maybe was a youth team player. Maybe it's him?!

Yes, it was me, Greg Wilson, I was a pro playing for the reserves! Joined Oldham at 12 yrs old.... 

On 4/6/2020 at 4:26 PM, al_bro said:

My first game was when Bobby Johnstone made his debut in 1960. My 2 other earliest memories being the Burnley and Liverpool games. Went with my mate who sadly migrated to following United.

On a slightly different note does anyone have any details, date, crowd etc of a home pre season friendly v Airdrieonians. Around 1970. Think we lost 2 - 4. Cheers.

Would've been 9 and stood on the Main Stand Paddock for this. Remember speaking to an older Scouser (probably 13/14) and trying to 'banter' (without any understanding) about Hillsborough. Rightly put in my place by him and my Dad and it was an insight into the fact that not everything in football is within limits. Cringey but lesson learned. 

6 hours ago, OldhamAthlete said:

My first game was when Bobby Johnstone made his debut in 1960. My 2 other earliest memories being the Burnley and Liverpool games. Went with my mate who sadly migrated to following United.

On a slightly different note does anyone have any details, date, crowd etc of a home pre season friendly v Airdrieonians. Around 1970. Think we lost 2 - 4. Cheers.

Aug 1st 1970 v Airdrie at Boundary Park. Good recall, we did lose 4-2, Fryatt and Bryceland scored. Can’t find details of the crowd . 

10 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Think that was August 1973 peanuts, 2-2 draw with City at BP

thank you that sounds about right to me had been told it was jimmy frizz testimonial but that was a mid week game by all acounts and 7yo me was not allowed out after 8pm on a school night 

5 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

thank you that sounds about right to me had been told it was jimmy frizz testimonial but that was a mid week game by all acounts and 7yo me was not allowed out after 8pm on a school night 

JImmy Frizzell testimonial was a night match Peanuts 

Archived