Callum Whelan signs

Linky

We've signed him on a 2 year deal which seems abit much for a player who last season went on loan to Port Vale and didn't make any impression there.

Still young enough to improve and make an impression though.

EDIT You might want to merge this with the other thread started.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Linky

We've signed him on a 2 year deal which seems abit much for a player who last season went on loan to Port Vale and didn't make any impression there.

Still young enough to improve and make an impression though.

EDIT You might want to merge this with the other thread started.

It was the season before that he didnt hit at vale. Last season was in and around Watford squad. But only made 2 appearances. Let's hope weve gambled on an unknown that comes good

7 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

It was the season before that he didnt hit at vale. Last season was in and around Watford squad. But only made 2 appearances. Let's hope weve gambled on an unknown that comes good

Good reports on him.

26 minutes ago, disjointed said:

This is the sort of player we should be looking at, I know it's 50/50 whether it proves successful, but at least it looks like Al has changed his tack. 

It seems like a change of approach. Signing players who have been through top flight development/academies. Two (now three) from United. One from Everton. One from City. Being linked with similar players from Norwich. Even that lad at Chester was City ex youth captain. One of the Wrexham lads was at Middlesborough/Sunderland (i think, for a spell). Add this to a sprinkling of lower league experience. Could this be a change of direction? Will it work? Well, one things for sure, it couldn't be worse than the 'let's sign shit from lower league French clubs' approach. 

Or could it.....? Here's praying.

“Was a highly rated midfielder whilst at Man Utd.  Energetic and very creative.  Always demanding the ball, high tempo and short range passes linked up their attack and created a lot for the likes of Rashford.  His build is deceptive as he’s not afraid to track back and stick his foot in either.  Played mostly in middle but also out wide”

Review of Whelan from a mate who watched a lot of youth football at Man Utd.  

He expected Whelan to go to a Championship team / League One club after Watford released him.

Sounds like a very good signing for us.  Surprised on this one as my mate reckons he’ll stand out in our league and will probably be sold on in January or next summer.

I’ve long moaned about recruitment- However the signings so far look like they’ve had some thought, and as big fat joe says it looks like a certain type of player is being signed. It may work, it may not. But at the very least it looks like we’ve got a plan or direction.

Fair play to the club.

(Are you reading this lags😉)  

52 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

“Was a highly rated midfielder whilst at Man Utd.  Energetic and very creative.  Always demanding the ball, high tempo and short range passes linked up their attack and created a lot for the likes of Rashford.  His build is deceptive as he’s not afraid to track back and stick his foot in either.  Played mostly in middle but also out wide”

Review of Whelan from a mate who watched a lot of youth football at Man Utd.  

He expected Whelan to go to a Championship team / League One club after Watford released him.

Sounds like a very good signing for us.  Surprised on this one as my mate reckons he’ll stand out in our league and will probably be sold on in January or next summer.

Is this the player described by a fan at one of the friendlies as looked and played like Luka Modric?

3 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Maybe so but Id think a 1 year deal might have been better as their is still abit risk attached to this one.

Have we got enough full time professionals to fill a match day squad yet?

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Maybe so but Id think a 1 year deal might have been better as their is still abit risk attached to this one.

A risk is worth taking. He's signed on a one year deal and turns out to be a good signing then questions are asked of why it wasn't longer. Possibly a one year with an option would be the middle ground but let's hope that recruitment is being carried out with a more measured and critical eye than previously. I have to admit, I know practically nothing of the players who have come in and actually looking forward to the season and what it may bring...regardless of the probable side show that comes with football these days.

13 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

It seems like a change of approach. Signing players who have been through top flight development/academies. Two (now three) from United. One from Everton. One from City. Being linked with similar players from Norwich. Even that lad at Chester was City ex youth captain. One of the Wrexham lads was at Middlesborough/Sunderland (i think, for a spell). Add this to a sprinkling of lower league experience. Could this be a change of direction? Will it work? Well, one things for sure, it couldn't be worse than the 'let's sign shit from lower league French clubs' approach. 

Or could it.....? Here's praying.

I’ve heard a Norwich link is an Owdamer and fan. 

Archived