MATCH: Cheltenham

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

...and Orient  we lost when he came on. Thanks...and at Stevenage he was a late change and we got stuffed Thanks

He wasn’t responsible for any of three results...football is more subtle that 

It must really sicken you every time he scores, and every time he has a positive impact on a game, like he did tonight. Ha Ha 😀.  Relax! Enjoy him. Concentrate on his positives. He’s a good player for us. 👍

16 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

We played the system for 62 minutes without him and were doing perfectly well 

In my view were doing very ok. Im not a Rowe tub thumper but I think we looked more dangerous when he came on.  His work before the second goal was sensational.  It was a boring nothing happening part of the game when his tenacity won us that corner out of absolutely nothing 

31 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

MacAleny Dearnley, Grant , Blackwood Dunn are being routinely selected before him by professional coaches.

They offer pace, mobility and defensive and work rate qualities he does not, .and they are all currently scoring more or the same as him  
He is a brilliant striker of a ball and has good vision but he limits the way we can play. Tonight’s system suited him....we had no interest in a high press and were happy to sit deep with two banks and you can then relieve him ( and Blackwood) of some tracking responsibilties .....

I suspect that’s because his work rate isn’t deemed good enough. But then he’s never been that player. There’s loads of examples of ‘lazy’ players who win you games. You even allude to that yourself with his strike and vision, there is undoubtedly a player there. His presence this season has won us points, even if he hasn’t scored or shone with his press. 

I suppose in the end it’s how you want to play him. Ask him to press as part of team, and he can look poor. Give him a license to pick pockets of space and find players and I think he’s great at this level.  (If you can put up with his ‘lazy’ spells) 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I suspect that’s because his work rate isn’t deemed good enough. But then he’s never been that player. There’s loads of examples of ‘lazy’ players who win you games. You even allude to that yourself with his strike and vision, there is undoubtedly a player there. His presence this season has won us points, even if he hasn’t scored or shone with his press. 

I suppose in the end it’s how you want to play him. Ask him to press as part of team, and he can look poor. Give him a license to pick pockets of space and find players and I think he’s great at this level.  (If you can put up with his ‘lazy’ spells) 

Fair enough but in my opinion he is nowhere near good enough to build a club around 

yes don't succumb to the miserable moaning bastards on here , who have us dead and buried before a ball is kicked every week.

4 hours ago, disjointed said:

That is the most optimistic post I have seen this season. You feeling OK. 

4 hours ago, ddot_m said:

I would like to join your positivity please.

21 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

yes don't succumb to the miserable moaning bastards on here , who have us dead and buried before a ball is kicked every week.

We’ve won 3 in 11- and for the last 3 years having finished lower than the previous season. I’d say we have good reason to be miserable bastards. 

But.

Not tonight!! 

E I E I E O. 

4 hours ago, astottie said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned but someone worked out that kick off manoeuvre . It was terrific and we should have scored. Its slightly reassuring that there is some thinking going on somewhere 

It was probably Rowe just to piss off Magister.

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

I think that's unfair on Rowe.

A big part of the reason we beat Bolton was his pressing work off the ball.  

Watch the video - he gave Comley and Delaney no rest at all and Crellin had to rush most of his kicks out.

I don't see him doing less pressing than Dearnley, either. 

10 hours ago, Handsy said:

The only stats that matter is  goals scored a lot of that 70% was passing it along the back four in their own half 

Maybe so but I wouldn’t like those stats at home every week even if it guaranteed 3 points. I suppose we should be happy with victory of any kind. Maybe I’m being a tad negative but I would occasionally like to see some dominant football from a Latics team when they are playing at home!! 

Wait, so people now admit to wanting us to lose?

All those knobeads who used to preach down to us from ivoryville 'Don't be so stupid no Latics fan would actually ever want us to lose..' when anybody dared to suggest we had fans who actively want us to lose? Not that anybody will ever admit ever saying it, like.

1 hour ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I think that's unfair on Rowe.

A big part of the reason we beat Bolton was his pressing work off the ball.  

Watch the video - he gave Comley and Delaney no rest at all and Crellin had to rush most of his kicks out.

I don't see him doing less pressing than Dearnley, either. 

Does he do it consistently? Or for 90 mins. There is no doubt he drifts in and out of games. I don’t mind that though- he wasn’t bought in as a high press striker. Or if he was- the scouting was shit. To me he is a number 10, playing in little pockets and being a bit maurading. He’s a player for us- but you’ve got to take him for what he is. 

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Maybe so but I wouldn’t like those stats at home every week even if it guaranteed 3 points. I suppose we should be happy with victory of any kind. Maybe I’m being a tad negative but I would occasionally like to see some dominant football from a Latics team when they are playing at home!! 

Errr.. I'll take the three points every week, please.

Pointless having the ball if you do fuck all with it!

I think we're a new team, manager and owner away from worrying about how we're play the beautiful game.  Lets just get the results now, eh?

7 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Wait, so people now admit to wanting us to lose?

All those knobeads who used to preach down to us from ivoryville 'Don't be so stupid no Latics fan would actually ever want us to lose..' when anybody dared to suggest we had fans who actively want us to lose? Not that anybody will ever admit ever saying it, like.

Aye- was thinking the same last night. 

Only takes a couple of results- and I start thinking of the playoffs. 

Archived