MATCH: vs Walsall (A) 16/01/21

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm done hoping for any sort of defensive competence from the current bunch of players.

Let's just get Bahamboula, McAleny and Rowe on the pitch (assuming that Dearnley is injured), that Hilßner is a wing wizard and hope to the high heavens that whoever else we put on the pitch concedes fewer than we score.

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'm done hoping for any sort of defensive competence from the current bunch of players.

I though Piergianni did plenty right last night but he was trying to cover at least three positions so had no chance

1 minute ago, kev1969 said:

Piergianni looked injured late on.

He did. I think he was one of a very select group who had an okay game last night. He had to work so hard to compensate for the rest of the defence and midfield. Clarke alongside him put in possibly his worst performance of his loan spell and Diarra was rightly subbed at halftime as were Barnett and Whelan.

In all seriousness, I'd chuck two or three of the kids in. They just might show some passion and desire that was so sadly lacking last night. How many times in his post match interview did HK say that there isn't enough fight in them and fight is a basic requirement? Mind you, so is being able to pass a football to a team mate standing 5 yards away. 

Lawlor had probably his worst game for us, but he's saved us from a right drubbing on a number of occasions, so I'd keep him. Same with Clarke; I don't think he'll have another one as bad as that for a while. Barnett, Whelan, Garrity, Diarra, Fage, Keillor-Dunn have no right to call themselves competent footballers. They're all National League North standard and shouldn't be anywhere near a League 2 side.

You'll never win anything with kids? It's worth a go because we'll win precisely sod all with that bunch of no-hopers. And Hell will freeze over before I seriously consider parting with another tenner unless they can prove that they can at least show some heart and desire.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Its time for HK to ditch the dysfunctional formations and go to a simple 442 with no square pegs in round holes where players would have some idea of what's expected of them.

Will 4 4 2 make them run faster, head better, pass better, trap balls better  , tackle better, catch better , give fewer free kicks away , execute better set pieces....surely they know that is expected of them 

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Its time for HK to ditch the dysfunctional formations and go to a simple 442 with no square pegs in round holes where players would have some idea of what's expected of them.

I disagree. We were basically 442 last night with bahamboula staying forward with McAleny. And it showed that the midfield could indeed be made worse. The only good thing about the midfield is that there's 3 in the middle. 3 shit players is better than 2 shit players. 3 in CM has been the reason for so many goals as the front three bomb forward. Id rather the exciting football of this season than the borin 442 of recent seasons. Even if its the same result

4 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

I disagree. We were basically 442 last night with bahamboula staying forward with McAleny. And it showed that the midfield could indeed be made worse. The only good thing about the midfield is that there's 3 in the middle. 3 shit players is better than 2 shit players. 3 in CM has been the reason for so many goals as the front three bomb forward. Id rather the exciting football of this season than the borin 442 of recent seasons. Even if its the same result

You didn't find 442 boring with Big Joe did you? Its all about getting the woeful midfield sorted.

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You didn't find 442 boring with Big Joe did you? Its all about getting the woeful midfield sorted.

It ain't 1990 anymore. I'm not saying we shouldn't go 4-4-2, but throwing back to the era of yesteryear is always your "go to" option. Football has evolved...

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

13 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

I'm not against 4-4-2 in principle, but I'm not sure which 2 of our midfield could work well in there, especially with only 2 at centre back.  As Chris said, we get overran with 3 in there so 2 would be even worse.

6 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'm not against 4-4-2 in principle, but I'm not sure which 2 of our midfield could work well in there, especially with only 2 at centre back.  As Chris said, we get overran with 3 in there so 2 would be even worse.

We were overrun on Wednesday by Mansfield attacking down both flanks. If HK had started with two fullbacks (like he did the second half) we may not have struggled as much. It’s not just about the two centre backs, a team has to defend as a unit. 

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Unfortunately the first season I can remember as a kid was the year we got relegated from prem. So itd been downhill since then for me

On 1/14/2021 at 1:09 PM, TheBigDog said:

He did. I think he was one of a very select group who had an okay game last night. He had to work so hard to compensate for the rest of the defence and midfield. Clarke alongside him put in possibly his worst performance of his loan spell and Diarra was rightly subbed at halftime as were Barnett and Whelan.

Maybe Harry was told before KO that his loan spell with us has been extended to the end of the season and so he played the match in a state of shock.

Archived