MATCH: vs Stevenage (H) 02/04/21

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Such a defeatist attitude. 

I call it a realist attitude.

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:
3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

You've got a fans body in PTB. In 18 months they've had a few meetings with the CEO and a food and drink boycott which lasted one game. You've got a supporters trust with an actual place on the clubs board. It's got less than 200 members and gets nothing but grief from the fanbase. Apathy has won.

Firmly disagree. 

So you have just had pointed out to you what you were advocating earlier and you disagree. Just what do you disagree with here?

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

The best option to keep as many people happy as possible is to do away games only that way people can still watch the team we don't give them any money plus at a local game where we have a big following we could create a big row by some form of protest at the same time.

And just where are you going to get the chance to protest? No attendance this season, a new team, possible new manager next season and any whiff of progress will snuff out your protest. Even if this charade continues next season this forum is not the whole support of OAFC-it represents a very small percentage of the support.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Protest all you like, it won't change anything. The owner will go when he gets an offer to buy or he decides to hand the keys in. And who the fuck wants to buy a club in our state.

So we're in such a state that nobody would be interested in buying us, but the wider football world would be "laughing" at us if we protested, because we've got nothing to complain about... 

Interesting logic. 

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

How the club is run? I guess it's not beyond the understanding that an Oldham Athletic 'fan' (although they have absolutely no right to be shown, or to have a steer on the internal workings of OAFC) might be just a little upset seeing their club being slowly managed into the ground by incompetence. Fans are emotionally invested if nothing else, in football that means an awful lot. I don't know, are fans happy with the situation?

Problem is Matt we could win the next 5 games and everything would go quiet and people would be talking about making the playoffs. Results are the only driver of the unrest and that doesn't seem like much of a basis for hard protest to me.

5 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

So we're in such a state that nobody would be interested in buying us, but the wider football world would be "laughing" at us if we protested, because we've got nothing to complain about... 

Interesting logic. 

State is relative. I think we would struggle to attract an owner capable of putting the club back where the fanbase thinks it should be. But nobody outside of the fanbase would be looking at us and thinking we are massively underachieving. You've sacked a few managers, so what, loads of clubs have.

17 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I call it a realist attitude.

So you have just had pointed out to you what you were advocating earlier and you disagree. Just what do you disagree with here?

And just where are you going to get the chance to protest? No attendance this season, a new team, possible new manager next season and any whiff of progress will snuff out your protest. Even if this charade continues next season this forum is not the whole support of OAFC-it represents a very small percentage of the support.

The Stockholm syndrome is strong with this one.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Results are the only driver of the unrest and that doesn't seem like much of a basis for hard protest to me.

Proper bollocks this.

Our results have been pretty shit since forever...

19/20 3466
18/19 4364
17/18 4442
16/17 4561
15/16 4360
14/15 4349
13/14 4415
12/13 4024

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Problem is Matt we could win the next 5 games and everything would go quiet and people would be talking about making the playoffs. Results are the only driver of the unrest and that doesn't seem like much of a basis for hard protest to me.

How do you know what is upsetting people if you don’t listen to those people.  Other people’s worries about the club don’t become nothing just because you refuse to accept there is nothing wrong but a poor playing team.

2 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Proper bollocks this.

Our results have been pretty shit since forever...

19/20 3466
18/19 4364
17/18 4442
16/17 4561
15/16 4360
14/15 4349
13/14 4415
12/13 4024

Take the away fans out, how's the numbers looking then?

5 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I understand your point of view - then we go back to what you said earlier which I agree with - the problem is with the fans for not having the stomach to take the job on. Let's face it, there is a job to be undertaken I think we can all agree on that. We could argue that, at least since 2003, it's been a fairly steady decline to where it is now - if the fans are happy with the odd cup run here and there, then fine.

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

How do you know what is upsetting people if you don’t listen to those people.  Other people’s worries about the club don’t become nothing just because you refuse to accept there is nothing wrong but a poor playing team.

You can't not hear it, it is ever present. Except after a few wins, goes pretty quiet then...

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Southend or Grimsby need four wins from seven and eight games respectively to catch us, and that's without us getting another point this season (not impossible but still unlikely). 

I know that relegation battling teams often pick up a few wins towards the end but Southend aren't scoring many and Grimsby have a very tough month coming up (maybe aside from playing us).  I can't be complacent given the nature of our boardroom but I can't see us going down.

Yes, I think you're probably right, but a couple of things occur.

Teams that consistently cough up opportunities from a position of relative strength are those which end up getting mugged on the last day. We've declined to beat Barrow and Stevenage at home, given up a two goal lead and missed a pen against Cambridge and conceded well into injury time at Scunthorpe. I am beginning to suffer a recurring nightmare when we are beaten at home by Grimsby through a late Giles Coke winner.

We need a win and quickly to steady the nerves.

Secondly, the last time we were this bad was in 69-70 and even then were on the way up by the end of the season. At the end of that season Bradford PA went, followed closely by Barrow and then Workington. Since then there is a long list of teams from northern and industrial centres who have gone from the league and stayed out. In no particular order Darlington, Hartlepool, York, Halifax, Chester, Wrexham, Stockport, Bury, Macclesfield. Apologies for any omissions. All places without the wherewithal to finance a speedy and sustainable return.

Without the data, I would be prepared to suggest that the geographical centre of the football league has moved significantly south over the last fifty years. It's not really designed for places like Oldham anymore.

It leaves me sceptical of the boycott the club view. It has great emotional appeal, but it would be a long way back. The best thing our supporter base could do, perhaps, would be to present a unified front, supporting the team fanatically whilst opposing the administration vociferously. This just could make us a slightly more appetising proposition. Our various supporter groups currently present a bit like the Judean Peoples' Front  and The Peoples' Front of Judea. Well meaning, enthusiastic, but easily picked off.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I understand your point of view - then we go back to what you said later; the problem then is with the fans not having the stomach to take the job on - because there is a job to be undertaken, I think we all agree on that - we could argue, at least since 2003, it's been a failry steady decline to where it is now - if the fans are happy with the odd cup run here and there, then fine.

You can probably go back to relegation in '94 as the start of the decline. I don’t think there isn't the 'militancy' amongst the fanbase to get things done. The Trust membership numbers are pathetic really, PTB mean well but there's no clout behind it, FLG seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth. And the fanbase isn't really united behind one cause.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Haven't had one in 20 years but I'm not someone who thinks we should be 2 divisions higher.

Right, but you are telling everyone else to turn up to the home games to show we have support to attract a potential owners but you won't do it yourself I.E. you don't believe in it.

So as usual you sure you're just disagreeing with people for the sake of it.

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Right, but you are telling everyone else to turn up to the home games to show we have support to attract a potential owners but you won't do it yourself I.E. you don't believe in it.

So as usual you sure you're just disagreeing with people for the sake of it.

I payed on the gate for most of that time, haven't been since Scholes went but that's my choice, I don't expect anything from OAFC, we are where we are and what we are. So yes, my point stands.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You can probably go back to relegation in '94 as the start of the decline. I don’t think there isn't the 'militancy' amongst the fanbase to get things done. The Trust membership numbers are pathetic really, PTB mean well but there's no clout behind it, FLG seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth. And the fanbase isn't really united behind one cause.

There is a cause, a reason - but there is no leadership to unify fan action. I agree with that.

I must admit, it is a bit bewildering with different supporter groups and no unity - it's messy, and easy to play one off against the other. Little wonder the fans can't be bothered with it - why protest to remove the current incumbent if the prospect is fragmented supporter groups taking the helm.

28 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Have you bought a season ticket then?

What, does that make you any more of a supporter than the rest of us?

I miss the odd game when it's a cert I just can't make it but pay for every other game plus 10 quid both home and away for ifollow whilst we find ourselves unable to go on.

Anyone who has the best interests of the club at heart, is as good as the rest as far as I'm concerned 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

There is a cause, a reason - but there is no leadership to unify fan action. I agree with that.

I must admit, it is a bit bewildering with different supporter groups and no unity - it's messy, and easy to play one off against the other. Little wonder the fans can't be bothered with it - why protest to remove the current incumbent if the prospect is fragmented supporter groups taking the helm.

Exactly. And I think to be fair PTB have cottoned onto that albeit 18 months late.

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I payed on the gate for most of that time, haven't been since Scholes went but that's my choice, I don't expect anything from OAFC, we are where we are and what we are. So yes, my point stands.

Respect 👍

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:
19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Why haven’t you attended since Scholes’s departure?

Archived