MATCH: vs Stevenage (H) 02/04/21

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bobledgersheart said:

If a professional player needs telling that we've no hope.

I was told it aged eleven. 

These play like 11 year olds,some are about as physical.

15 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It's getting scary just how that bottom two is edging slightly closer, with Walsall, Southend and Grimsby each having a game in hand and Barrow with two in hand.

Previous relegation points stats don't mean anything.

Colchester and Walsall have won one game each this calendar year, Grimsby and Southend would have to display title winning form to overhaul us, not going to happen.

Just now, BP1960 said:

These play like 11 year olds,some are about as physical.

Notwithstanding the opposition are usually bigger than us ( they're invariably going to be ) if we'd had been a bit more professional in the shooting department we'd have at least a point today.

6 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Notwithstanding the opposition are usually bigger than us ( they're invariably going to be ) if we'd had been a bit more professional in the shooting department we'd have at least a point today.

We needed to see McAleny on the end of them but he was never in the game.

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We needed to see McAleny on the end of them but he was never in the game.

Agreed. He seems to be the only forward ( perhaps except DKD ) who doesn't panic when he sees the goalposts.

He's a decent finisher but goes missing a hell of a lot.

56 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It's getting scary just how that bottom two is edging slightly closer, with Walsall, Southend and Grimsby each having a game in hand and Barrow with two in hand.

Previous relegation points stats don't mean anything.

Bring it on, might be the only way we get rid of these herberts. 

21 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Agreed. He seems to be the only forward ( perhaps except DKD ) who doesn't panic when he sees the goalposts.

He's a decent finisher but goes missing a hell of a lot.

Somebody will have access to the analytics thing which shows where a player was / where he received, passed or touched the ball etc throughout the course of a game, Opta or whatever it's called.

I dont feel Conor Mac 'goes missing', but is certainly not involved as much as we need him to be.

Why not?

BP makes intelligent comments, but I take issue with him if the assertion is laziness or lack of positional sense on Conor's part.

Clearly KC has imposed a style, formation, discipline, which is limiting the creativity.

Conor is a good player, proven, scored plenty of goals in a poor side.

If Zak played today, would he have been more involved? Probably not, for the same reasons. 

I hope both are here next season.

11 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

Somebody will have access to the analytics thing which shows where a player was / where he received, passed or touched the ball etc throughout the course of a game, Opta or whatever it's called.

I dont feel Conor Mac 'goes missing', but is certainly not involved as much as we need him to be.

Why not?

BP makes intelligent comments, but I take issue with him if the assertion is laziness or lack of positional sense on Conor's part.

Clearly KC has imposed a style, formation, discipline, which is limiting the creativity.

Conor is a good player, proven, scored plenty of goals in a poor side.

If Zak played today, would he have been more involved? Probably not, for the same reasons. 

I hope both are here next season.

I wouldn't says he's lazy, but just waiting for the ball to arrive at his feet isn't enough. He should occupy defenders more.

What's happened to Grant btw?

Don't get to see us play that much these days but that was bloody dreadful and a million miles away from the football the players tried to play under Kewell, I don't have a problem with him trying to sort out our defensive woes but if that means 0-0 snore tests and 1-0 defeats are now the norm you would seriously have to question why a change of manager was made. As an aside how Garrity keeps Hillsner out of that side is beyond me, is Garrity the latest raffle winner because he is no footballer.

42 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Once again we witnessed the reality of how poor our play has become with the change in style under the interim manager. 

Shorn of attacking options, our front five players today were Whelan, McCalmont, Keillor-Dunn, McAleny and a returning Garrity. All were outmuscled and outfoxed in the middle of the park. It was a contest that resembled boys versus men. Stevenage seemed to be unopposed for large parts of the game and cut through our press with alarming ease.

When we did create shooting opportunities the ball invariably sailed over the bar.

Garrity was returning after a long absence and it showed. He was never in the game and should not have started

Keillor-Dunn was back to his woeful worst - caught in possession, failing to control the ball and weak in the challenge. 

McAleny was once again a peripheral figure throughout the game. 

McCalmont worked hard, almost too much, which meant that he gave away too many needless free kicks.

Whelan was very good when on the ball but doesn’t contribute enough when out of possession.

The net impact of our lack of control in midfield was that our defence was under constant pressure. The tactic of playing a back three should allow the wingbacks to provide an outlet and a threat from out wide. Adams strove to affect the game but Badan never looked comfortable on the ball. Borthwick-Jackson will now get his chance.

Of the rest only Walker and to a lesser extent Clarke and Piergianni were decent today.

Over the full ninety minutes we had one attempt on target. A statistic that sums up another horror show at home. 

Where do we go from here Keith Curle? 

I thought Jamieson was far better than Clarke who doesn't seem to be effective in a 3.

19 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Don't get to see us play that much these days but that was bloody dreadful and a million miles away from the football the players tried to play under Kewell, I don't have a problem with him trying to sort out our defensive woes but if that means 0-0 snore tests and 1-0 defeats are now the norm you would seriously have to question why a change of manager was made. As an aside how Garrity keeps Hillsner out of that side is beyond me, is Garrity the latest raffle winner because he is no footballer.

Id agree with all but Hillsner has been awful for weeks - he needed dropping

that he’s dropped for Garrity is down to flat cap and his “big big talent” recruitment policy 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Once again we witnessed the reality of how poor our play has become with the change in style under the interim manager. 

Shorn of attacking options, our front five players today were Whelan, McCalmont, Keillor-Dunn, McAleny and a returning Garrity. All were outmuscled and outfoxed in the middle of the park. It was a contest that resembled boys versus men. Stevenage seemed to be unopposed for large parts of the game and cut through our press with alarming ease.

When we did create shooting opportunities the ball invariably sailed over the bar.

Garrity was returning after a long absence and it showed. He was never in the game and should not have started

Keillor-Dunn was back to his woeful worst - caught in possession, failing to control the ball and weak in the challenge. 

McCalmont worked hard, almost too much, which meant that he gave away too many needless free kicks.

Whelan was very good when on the ball but doesn’t contribute enough when out of possession.

The net impact of our lack of control in midfield was that our defence was under constant pressure. The tactic of playing a back three should allow the wingbacks to provide an outlet and a threat from out wide. Adams strove to affect the game but Badan never looked comfortable on the ball. Borthwick-Jackson will now get his chance.

Of the rest only Walker and to a lesser extent Clarke and Piergianni were decent today.

Over the full ninety minutes we had one attempt on target. A statistic that sums up another horror show at home. 

I didn't watch it today fortunately but our players are generally not good enough and from KC's interview it's beginning to dawn on him too. Basically he said we are not good enough and you can't polish a turd. With regard to your question where do we go from here Keith Curle? Well it certainly isn't up the table and these lads will twitch a bit looking over their shoulders at the trap door to a league albeit more suited to their level.

He also said today that the sooner people around the club start saying "we're not unlucky, we're not good enough" the better (paraphrase). Realistic I think........

It was an abysmal January window and now we're seeing the impact. Giving Rowe away for peanuts (probably) and bringing in a crock of shit has been a disaster. 

That said, Curle's honesty isn't great for morale - not what we need right now.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Agree with all this.

After the off field circus of this week, such a dire performance getting outplayed and stuffed at home by fucking Stevenage we have I think sunk to the lowest point I can remember in supporting Latics for 45 years.

And sadly I can see us sinking even lower before things getting any better 😬

8 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

That said, Curle's honesty isn't great for morale - not what we need right now.

Agreed.  The only way we would've needed him this season would be if we were in a relegation scrap, the irony being that if we somehow end up in one (I don't believe we will) then it would be his fault!

He's not what we need right now, but after the last two games being beaten by the average but disciplined and effective teams that he himself has got a reputation of building, he is what we need for next season.

I think we've got players for the most part who can play 3-5-2 or similar, but we haven't got the forwards available who are physical enough to make us effective which is why we're relying on other areas of the pitch for goals.

It was good to read this week that Curle wants to be here next season, I hope he still feels that way when it comes to signing a contract because, regardless of this season, he knows what it takes to get a team out of this division the right way.

10 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

but we haven't got the forwards available who are physical enough to make us effective

This. Strikers and midfielders are too much alike in physique and style of play. It’s an imbalance that needs to be addressed next season.

36 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This. Strikers and midfielders are too much alike in physique and style of play. It’s an imbalance that needs to be addressed next season.

If Curle is still here Mo would bring in more of the same (or worse) in the next transfer window, what would he do then?

The problem isn't managers its Mo, and history shows he won't change his ways.

All very depressing.

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

I refuse to give 🤡🤡 any money by paying to watch. For those who did, do you think Baha would have made a positive difference today? 

Wouldn't have made a difference at all,like Mcalaney,he is another who doesn't fit into this shite set up.

Think yourself bloody lucky that both your morals and your tenner are still intact 😉 

15 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Wouldn't have made a difference at all,like Mcalaney,he is another who doesn't fit into this shite set up.

Think yourself bloody lucky that both your morals and your tenner are still intact 😉 

Thanks. Although I'd say it's a matter of principle rather than morals. The tenners are being stored away and lie like dormant seeds ready to spring into life when the remaining two clowns finally leave town.

Archived