Euro 2020 Prediction Competition

Southgate strikes again. England hopefully 1 Germany 0. The defence isn't good enough to keep out good teams. Hopefully I will have to eat my words after the game. Where is this guys ambition.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Kane doing a great impression of Urko Vera.

Anyone paying over 100 million for him this summer needs to watch this tournament 

why are we so fucking boring? Both games last night were brilliant with 4 teams absolutely going for it

we pass backwards and sideways and the commentators pretend it’s good 

10 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Anyone paying over 100 million for him this summer needs to watch this tournament 

why are we so fucking boring? Both games last night were brilliant with 4 teams absolutely going for it

we pass backwards and sideways and the commentators pretend it’s good 

You don't mind losing if you think, "yeh we gave it a go" this is fucking boring. 

31 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I wish I had shares in the Humble Pie Manufacturing Co. plc given that every single controversial and derided call that Southgate has made has worked out so far.

Doesn't get away from the fact that it's shite to watch, given the players at his disposal they should be lighting up this tournament, not boring us to fuck. 

5 minutes ago, latics22 said:

We reached the semifinals last time around in the quarterfinals now. After taking the Germans apart, let’s cut Gareth and England a bit of slack 

Taken them apart? Scraped through more like. 

55 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Doesn't get away from the fact that it's shite to watch, given the players at his disposal they should be lighting up this tournament, not boring us to fuck. 

As an England fan if you didn't enjoy that occasion and outplaying the Germans for a clear victory then you don't like football. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Did you enjoy Latics last season losing 3-2 and 4-3 most weeks for the Entertainment?

10 hours ago, disjointed said:

My eldest says they're gonna shithouse their way to the final. I guess it doesn't matter how you get there...

11 hours ago, disjointed said:

Germany were very entertaining against Portugal. Got them to the last 16.

12 hours ago, disjointed said:

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The reality is somewhere in the middle.

What can't be denied is that Southgate made the right calls. Both with starting selection and bringing on subs.

Southgate is a very cautious manager. When I saw that the ten starting outfield players included two central defenders, two holding midfielders, three fullbacks it was disappointing but expected.

So far, the team’s approach to the games in this tournament has been measured and almost risk averse. The match statistics show that England had five attempts on goal, with four of those on target, and three corners over the ninety minutes.

England won the game keeping a clean sheet but the Germans had three clear chances to score and Pickford’s contribution should not be underestimated. 

Whereas Southgate was vindicated with his team selection, it cannot be denied that it wasn’t until England took a more attacking approach and moved the ball more quickly as a team that we finally breached the German defence. 

And the contribution of Grealish in this should not be underestimated either.

When all the euphoria of beating a team that has often proved to be our nemesis in knockout football dies down, I hope that Southgate realises that he needs to allow the players to play with more freedom in Rome.

The team is growing as the tournament progresses. Let’s hope that we continue to build on that and adopt a more confident attacking approach against Ukraine. 

41 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Southgate is a very cautious manager. When I saw that the ten starting outfield players included two central defenders, two holding midfielders, three fullbacks it was disappointing but expected.

So far, the team’s approach to the games in this tournament has been measured and almost risk averse. The match statistics show that England had five attempts on goal, with four of those on target, and three corners over the ninety minutes.

England won the game keeping a clean sheet but the Germans had three clear chances to score and Pickford’s contribution should not be underestimated. 

Whereas Southgate was vindicated with his team selection, it cannot be denied that it wasn’t until England took a more attacking approach and moved the ball more quickly as a team that we finally breached the German defence. 

When all the euphoria of beating a team that has often proved to be our nemesis in knockout football dies down, I hope that Southgate realises that he needs to allow the players to play with more freedom in Rome.

The team is growing as the tournament progresses. Let’s hope that we continue to build on that and adopt a more confident attacking approach against Ukraine. 

He may be seen as risk averse but:

One world cup semi-final; better achievement than any manager bar Robson since Ramsey

One Nations Cup semi-final.  The competition was derided but in my view reinvigorated international football from those days of seven subs under Eriksson or whatever it was

A penalty shoot out win in a World Cup knockout.  Our only such win I think

Our first win in a Euro knockout game since 1996. 

One more win to equal our best ever performance in a Euros

Our first meaningful win against Germany for 55 years

A better percentage win rate than every single England manager bar Capello (that surprised me) who has managed for more than one game

And, after the shambles of the Eriksson, McClaren, Capello, Hodgson and Allardyce eras he has represented the country with a consummate class and dignity 

He'll do for me.  Why he continues to get dog's abuse is bewildering

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Southgate has picked 4 different teams against 4 different oppositions so far. Its working stick to the game plan of picking the team for the game you are playing.

We will probably see Grealish start in the next game as we will get more of the ball against the Ukraine. We don't need to become an "entertaining team" just to appease the populists stick to the plan its working.

10 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Southgate has picked 4 different teams against 4 different oppositions so far. Its working stick to the game plan of picking the team for the game you are playing.

We will probably see Grealish start in the next game as we will get more of the ball against the Ukraine. We don't need to become an "entertaining team" just to appease the populists stick to the plan its working.

It's best explained by the Talksport tendency which has taken on from the very similar Sun tendency which was just as in your face and aggressive but at least only came out once a day.  Everything is brilliant or terrible, jet black or brilliant white etc.  The phone in culture which means that Darren from Kidderminster really does believe that his view is just as valid as genuine experts has a lot to answer for.  The BBC is just as bad now; Savage and Sutton are absolutely unlistenable as there only role is to wind people up into a frenzy and get them foaming down the phone.  The original 606 days of Danny Baker with funny away day tales and the like were the halcyon days - long gone

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

It's best explained by the Talksport tendency which has taken on from the very similar Sun tendency which was just as in your face and aggressive but at least only came out once a day.  Everything is brilliant or terrible, jet black or brilliant white etc.  The phone in culture which means that Darren from Kidderminster really does believe that his view is just as valid as genuine experts has a lot to answer for.  The BBC is just as bad now; Savage and Sutton are absolutely unlistenable as there only role is to wind people up into a frenzy and get them foaming down the phone.  The original 606 days of Danny Baker with funny away day tales and the like were the halcyon days - long gone

Not forgetting Social media too that has cranked it up enormously. We could argue this site and us regular posters do aswell in fairness.

Although Im generally loath to criticise Football Managers, as I always think they will see things that we don't and have issues that we are not aware off which will affect the decision making that we don't fully understand.

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not forgetting Social media too that has cranked it up enormously. We could argue this site and us regular posters do aswell in fairness.

Although Im generally loath to criticise Football Managers, as I always think they will see things that we don't and have issues that we are not aware off which will affect the decision making that we don't fully understand.

Indeed.  And for Southgate to completely retain his dignity is quite an achievement

Archived