Hallam Hope

3 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Yes because an agreement was made only to use Welsh and English players - that same agreement hasnt been made since 

the Welsh, Scotts and Irish fear losing their national identity - for some reason the Welsh relented on that occasion it was all reported at the time 

That's ridiculous, needs their heads banging together. The womens game is professional now so the same rules should apply with the men.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, wroteforluck87 said:

No idea fella, dont really watch team GB, womens football or the Olympics to be honest

Worth a watch, the day isn't far off when a women player will play in a mens professional team on merit.

4 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

How can I say this without sounding like some sexist misogynistic dinosaur??

It most definitely is 

Whilst I get what you are saying, thinking about it, would a top end player from a woman's team cut it at our level, probably got the skill set to match or better some of ours, but could they feign injury in an attempt to win a penalty, I'm not so sure. 

1 minute ago, disjointed said:

Whilst I get what you are saying, thinking about it, would a top end player from a woman's team cut it at our level, probably got the skill set to match or better some of ours, but could they feign injury in an attempt to win a penalty, I'm not so sure. 

I did see in the big charity matches there were mixed teams, so it might progress from that.

9 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Absolutely she would

will it happen in our lifetime? I doubt it 

imagine the online reaction deadline day and needing goals we sign Jenny Smith instead of a Connor McAleney? Then god help her when she misses a chance first game 

There is also the logistics around physicality - can’t imagine the authorities being comfortable with aforementioned Jenny getting two footed by a league 2 gorilla 

3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Wouldn't be fair for me to comment the only game I've watched was the womens champs league final that was a pretty good standard to be fair.. Wolfsburg was definitely playing not sure if it was against Chelsea or City? Could of even been Lyon? I've noticed England womens first euros (next summer) game is at Old Trafford and the tickets are reasonable priced I might take my daughter down for an evening out.

36 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Absolutely she would

will it happen in our lifetime? I doubt it 

imagine the online reaction deadline day and needing goals we sign Jenny Smith instead of a Connor McAleney? Then god help her when she misses a chance first game 

There is also the logistics around physicality - can’t imagine the authorities being comfortable with aforementioned Jenny getting two footed by a league 2 gorilla 

Claire would boss it. She’s nails. 

Did I imagine that we were rumoured to be signing the Brazilian women's player Marta a few years ago?

I actually think the best female players are already good enough to play professionally in the men's game, but at our level the physicality of players would seriously restrict their role. 

However, not every professional league relies on big physical cloggers at the lower level. 

14 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Did I imagine that we were rumoured to be signing the Brazilian women's player Marta a few years ago?

I actually think the best female players are already good enough to play professionally in the men's game, but at our level the physicality of players would seriously restrict their role. 

However, not every professional league relies on big physical cloggers at the lower level. 

How do the wages stack up? I'd imagine you'd get far more at Lyon or in the US than you would in league 2. 

6 hours ago, doctor evil said:

How do the wages stack up? I'd imagine you'd get far more at Lyon or in the US than you would in league 2. 

Also if you was playing for a high profile womans team competing at the top of your league challenging for domestic and European cups would you give that up to play in League 2, I seem to remember Chelsea womens manager/coach being linked to job in the EFL and when she quite outspoken about how the offer was an insult and a downgrade ? 

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Ah, mild, that brings back memories. Down here Banks still do a decent mild if you can find it. Chesters was always very drinkable, fighting ale they used to call it ! Don't know if Chesters is still around?

I’m old enough to remember a pint of mixed…👀

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Oldham Athletic explored the possibility of fielding the world's best female footballer, Marta, the Brazilian, it has been revealed.

Brazilian striker Marta, voted FIFA's top female player three years in succession, agreed to take part in the publicity stunt that was the brainchild of Oldham managing director Simon Corney and a TV production company, who wanted to make a documentary about whether a woman could hold her own in the men's pro game, says the Daily Mail.

The idea was for Marta, who has recently joined Los Angeles Sol, to come on as a substitute in a pre-season game under the pretext of being a trialist. And it was thought it would have been possible to mask that she was female for a short period. Also, her late appearance would have allowed her to stay away from her team-mates in the dressing room before the game.

However with Marta ready to fly over at a moment's notice from her previous club side Umea in Sweden, Oldham had a change of mind. Chief executive Alan Hardy, a highly experienced football official, and manager John Sheridan were the leading voices in opposition.

Hardy said: "There were discussions with a TV company who have done work for Channel 4, but in the end it wasn't considered appropriate for Oldham to involve themselves in something that could bring ridicule to the club and the League."

11 minutes ago, paw4 said:

Oldham Athletic explored the possibility of fielding the world's best female footballer, Marta, the Brazilian, it has been revealed.

Brazilian striker Marta, voted FIFA's top female player three years in succession, agreed to take part in the publicity stunt that was the brainchild of Oldham managing director Simon Corney and a TV production company, who wanted to make a documentary about whether a woman could hold her own in the men's pro game, says the Daily Mail.

The idea was for Marta, who has recently joined Los Angeles Sol, to come on as a substitute in a pre-season game under the pretext of being a trialist. And it was thought it would have been possible to mask that she was female for a short period. Also, her late appearance would have allowed her to stay away from her team-mates in the dressing room before the game.

However with Marta ready to fly over at a moment's notice from her previous club side Umea in Sweden, Oldham had a change of mind. Chief executive Alan Hardy, a highly experienced football official, and manager John Sheridan were the leading voices in opposition.

Hardy said: "There were discussions with a TV company who have done work for Channel 4, but in the end it wasn't considered appropriate for Oldham to involve themselves in something that could bring ridicule to the club and the League."

Imagine the publicity when she misplaced a pass and Shez caller her a "c*nt"

1 hour ago, paw4 said:

it wasn't considered appropriate for Oldham to involve themselves in something that could bring ridicule to the club and the League."

As opposed to pretty much everything we've done since...

14 hours ago, BP1960 said:

That's ridiculous, needs their heads banging together. The womens game is professional now so the same rules should apply with the men.

It is because at present all four home nations get an automatic seat on IFAB and therefore great influence in the game.  Hard to imagine why this should be the case and now and how it can be sustainable but entering a single Olympic team for all four nations is seen as being likely to hurry the end of that arrangement 

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

How did we progress from Hallam Hope to women's football?🤔

Either me or you are responsible for it..

Getting back to the original content matter though.. 

What kind of standard do we think Hallam Hope could play in the womens set up? 

I was going to make a joke about this being a slippery slope ever since women got the vote but then I remembered it is 2021 and it will be deemed inappropriate and the humour and irony will be lost in our PC "always offended" social media obsessed world....so I won't

Archived